It is currently Wed Apr 08, 2020 4:48 am

Install on external drive?

Hauptwerk software technical support only. Please make sure you have read the manual, tutorials and FAQ pages before requesting support.
  • Author

hotfingers

Install on external drive?

PostFri Dec 13, 2019 12:13 pm

Apologies if this has been covered — I can't find it.

My location machine (with Hauptwerk 4 Advanced) is a Macbook Pro running Sierra. I'm very reluctant to update the OS due to the consequential implications for other software required for my work.

Is it practical to install a higher OS version on an external drive in order to load and run Hauptwerk V?

Thanks for any thoughts.
Roderick Elms

mdyde

Re: Install on external drive?

PostFri Dec 13, 2019 1:49 pm

Hello Roderick,

My suggestion:

First try downloading Hauptwerk v5, and see whether you can open the download .dmg file on your macOS 10.12 ('High Sierra') version. If you can, then v5 would almost certainly work properly on your existing 10.12 system. (Although 10.12 isn't listed by us as an officially-supported platform, we do offer support on such platforms for issues provided that they don't appear to be related to the operating system and can be reproduced on a supported platform.)

If the .dmg file can be opened, and you decide you do want to try using v5 on your existing macOS 10.12 installation, then make sure that you follow these instructions to un-install and delete v4 before installing v5: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=17850

If you decide that you would instead prefer to use it on a more-recent macOS version, then yes -- it is possible to install a newer version of macOS to an external drive. (Make sure the drive is big enough, and an SSD would give best performance.) A quick Internet search will probably find instructions on how to install a different macOS version to a separate drive, and, once done, you would choose which macOS version to boot by holding down the 'Alt' key. When installing macOS, be very careful not accidentally to let the installer overwrite your main drive!
Best regards, Martin.
Hauptwerk software designer/developer, Milan Digital Audio.

[Please use email or the Contact page if you need to contact us privately, rather than private forum messages.]

hotfingers

PostSun Dec 15, 2019 3:58 am

Thank you Martin, that's really helpful.

Might you also clarify:

1. If I buy the upgrade, is there a fixed period during which I have to make the upgrade from my v.4?

2. Do I have to upgrade all my exisiting v4 licences in one go or can I play for caution and just do a few to ensure that if I hit difficulties, my work can continue on another machine under v4? I use Hauptwerk much of the time in my location orchestral work across the country and cannot afford to be without it!

Thanks.
Last edited by hotfingers on Sun Dec 15, 2019 8:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
Roderick Elms

mdyde

PostSun Dec 15, 2019 7:24 am

Thanks, Roderick,

hotfingers wrote:1. If I buy the upgrade, is there a fixed period during which I have to make the upgrade from my v.4?

Once purchased, you don't have to install the new version before any particular time. However, if you have licences for any v4 USB Key-licensed sample sets then you do need to use v5's 'File | Initiate migration of Hauptwerk pre-v5 sample set licenses to this version ...' function to submit and migrate them before 1st October 2020 (after which I understand there might be some additional cost).

hotfingers wrote:2. Do I have to upgrade all my exisitng v4 licences in one go or can I play for caution and just do a few to ensure that if I hit difficulties, my work can continue on another machine under v4? I use Hauptwerk much of the time in my location orchestral work across the country and cannot afford to be without it!

v5's 'File | Initiate migration of Hauptwerk pre-v5 sample set licenses to this version ...' migrates all sample set licences at once; it isn't possible to migrate them individually, I'm afraid.
Best regards, Martin.

[Please use email or the Contact page if you need to contact us privately, rather than private forum messages.]

hotfingers

PostSun Dec 15, 2019 10:44 am

Thank you martin, as ever. I don't suppose I dare ask whether my request for sustaining pedal support made it to v5? So much of my work is, of necessity, just with a single keyboard and lots of page turns. Anyway, I'll proceed with the v5 update and proceed with caution! From what I've read, it does work with High Sierra so I might head there first of all.
Roderick Elms

mdyde

PostSun Dec 15, 2019 10:56 am

Thanks, Roderick.

hotfingers wrote: don't suppose I dare ask whether my request for sustaining pedal support made it to v5? So much of my work is, of necessity, just with a single keyboard and lots of page turns.

Sorry -- no that change isn't in v5.0.0. The changes are all listed in the release notice ( https://www.hauptwerk.com/documentation/ ).

hotfingers wrote:From what I've read, it does work with High Sierra so I might head there first of all.

Yes -- I use macOS 10.13.6 and it's well-proven on that.
Best regards, Martin.

Return to Technical support