It is currently Mon Mar 30, 2020 11:48 am

V5: w7 vs W10

Hauptwerk software technical support only. Please make sure you have read the manual, tutorials and FAQ pages before requesting support.
  • Author

jmoboe

V5: w7 vs W10

PostFri Dec 13, 2019 12:40 pm

I have a dual boot W7-W10 PC. Each OS is on different disc but both disks are visible in W7 and W10. HP V4 is installed on the W7 system. This is partly for historical reason and because my Presonus Firestudio audio interface is not supported in W10. With W10 on a different system disk, my W7 system is now isolated and tailored for real-time audio. A while ago, I read that older drivers may work on W10. I tried installing my Firestudio driver and it turned out that it worked. I installed HW V4 on my W10 system and everything works fine.

My question is: should I upgrade to V5 on W7 or W10? If I do it on W7, I will have to use a hardware iLok key but I would have an isolated and tailored system. Of course, W7 is now frozen. On W10, I will have a more up-to-date OS (warts and all) and possibly be able to profit from eventual improvements to V5 taking advantage of W10 features. Probably the best that I could do to improve the W10 response would be to disable network operations when I use HW.

Since upgrading HW looks like a one shot deal, I don't want to make a mistake.

Frank-Evans

Re: V5: w7 vs W10

PostFri Dec 13, 2019 1:48 pm

F.W.I.W. I have my system set up on Windows 7 64 Pro. The build date was Jan 2012. After installation it was connected to the internet once for about 5 minutes to activate. Since then it has never been on the internet and never updated. I (following several sources) disabled everything that was not necessary for Hauptwerk to work. Removed many of the "features" such as Internet Explorer, games, etc. It is rock stable and has never hiccupped. I have the personal opinion that if a person is serious about Hauptwerk then the computer should be dedicated to that function. While Microsoft will stop supporting Windows 7 in January that just means they will no longer provide security updates. Not an issue if it is off line.
Just my $0.02 worth :D

mdyde

PostFri Dec 13, 2019 2:07 pm

[Topic moved here.]

Either platform should be fine for v5. I doubt that Windows 10 would offer any future advantages relevant to Hauptwerk v5 (although sooner or later some future major version of Hauptwerk will eventually have to stop supporting Windows 7, given that Microsoft won't support it by then. Also, eventually, hardware manufacturers will inevitably stop supporting it too.)

If using Windows 7, I too would strongly recommend not having it connected to the Internet for security.

If your Windows 7 is disconnected from the Internet and already optimised for audio then I see no reason not to use it for Hauptwerk v5, if you wanted to.
Best regards, Martin.
Hauptwerk software designer/developer, Milan Digital Audio.

[Please use email or the Contact page if you need to contact us privately, rather than private forum messages.]

jmoboe

PostSat Dec 14, 2019 3:29 pm

Thanks to both of you. I am reassured that W7 is a viable solution for a long time since I intend to keep my system offline. I just have to figure out in my mind the steps necessary to upgrade the HW 4.2 software on my offline system. I just have to study and assimilate the information already posted.

Return to Technical support