It is currently Sat Apr 04, 2020 7:41 pm

Bug in HW5? Problems with umlauts

Hauptwerk software technical support only. Please make sure you have read the manual, tutorials and FAQ pages before requesting support.
  • Author

gernot

Bug in HW5? Problems with umlauts

PostSat Dec 14, 2019 8:42 am

A customer just informed me about a bug in HW5:
When trying to install sample sets with umlauts in installation object names, those objects are not shown in the selection dialog. Files are extracted to the temp folder but they are ignored and not deleted after (incomplete) installation.

I have had similar bugs (character set issues) myself frequently over the years, it happens all the time. This is usually easy to correct, so I guess HW might be able to provide a hotfix.

I have informed Brett Milan.

Have a nice weekend everybody,
Gernot

mdyde

Re: Bug in HW5? Problems with umlauts

PostSun Dec 15, 2019 10:28 am

Hello Gernot,

[Topic moved here.]

That behaviour is unchanged since v2.0.0. It isn't a bug as such, because the sample set creator's guide has always specifically required: "Also, only characters available within the 7-bit ASCII character set should be used in any file or folder names, otherwise installation errors are likely on some operating system platforms.".

Modern versions of both Windows and macOS (and associated tools, such as WinRAR) do have much better for handling international/unicode character sets, so it would hopefully potentially be possible to add reliable cross-platform international support for allowing non-7-bit characters safely for installation filenames in a future version, but at the moment, sample sets do need to adhere to the requirement to use 7-bit characters in filenames.
Best regards, Martin.
Hauptwerk software designer/developer, Milan Digital Audio.

[Please use email or the Contact page if you need to contact us privately, rather than private forum messages.]

gernot

PostSun Dec 15, 2019 11:19 am

Hello Martin,

thanks for the reply and nice to hear from you!
I usually avoid all special characters in file/folder names because they frequently cause trouble but I need to have a look at this tomorrow to make sure. I will get back to you as soon as I have checked.

Have a nice 3rd advent,
Gernot

gernot

PostMon Dec 16, 2019 1:03 pm

Hello Martin,

I just checked: Special characters were avoided in all file and folder names except for those that are shown in HW to avoid misspelling. For instance, the Silbermann organ resides in the Stadtkirche Zöblitz, not Zoeblitz.
Never mind, I will create new modified installation packages.

P.S.: Trying to make the IR of the Magnuskerk Anloo work with HW5, I just found out that PackageSupplierID (PROSPECTUM: 11) has been replaced by SupplierUUID (PROSPECTUM: ??). Could you please tell me the SupplierUUID of PROSPECTUM? Thanks

mdyde

PostMon Dec 16, 2019 1:25 pm

Hello Gernot,

You can generate any required UUID yourself in Hauptwerk v5 via 'Design tools | Generate a new ... UUID'. UUIDs aren't centrally-allocated. Hence just generate a SupplierUUID for yourself once, then keep using that same value.
Best regards, Martin.
Hauptwerk software designer/developer, Milan Digital Audio.

[Please use email or the Contact page if you need to contact us privately, rather than private forum messages.]

Return to Technical support