It is currently Wed Apr 08, 2020 4:27 am

Mac install of HW V - lots of files!

Hauptwerk software technical support only. Please make sure you have read the manual, tutorials and FAQ pages before requesting support.
  • Author

ldeutsch

Mac install of HW V - lots of files!

PostSat Dec 14, 2019 5:45 pm

I have downloaded and read "Migrating from Hauptwerk v4 to v5+ on a Mac, 10.15 compatriot" which was posted in the announcements section of the Forum.

Basically, this document suggests that we save all HW user settings, uninstall HW 4 completely, and then do a clean install of HW V. The problem I have with this is that I have a LOT of organs installed in HW 4 and I want to avoid having to reinstall hundreds of GBs of samples.

Is there an alternative?

For example, why can't we move all our old files that were in /Hauptwerk to ~username/Hauptwerk? It is possible we would need to also change file permissions and/or file ownership. For those of us who speak Unix, this is easily done with a few chown and chmod commands in the Terminal.

I will hold off doing my two upgrades to HW V until I hear back from Brett or Marin on this.

Les Deutsch

RichardW

Re: Mac install of HW V - lots of files!

PostSat Dec 14, 2019 9:21 pm

Les,

While that <may> work for unencrypted sample sets it will not work for the encrypted ones. Those will need to be re-downloaded and reinstalled because they are different.

regards,
Richard

mwdiers

PostSat Dec 14, 2019 11:24 pm

ldeutsch wrote:I have downloaded and read "Migrating from Hauptwerk v4 to v5+ on a Mac, 10.15 compatriot" which was posted in the announcements section of the Forum.

Basically, this document suggests that we save all HW user settings, uninstall HW 4 completely, and then do a clean install of HW V. The problem I have with this is that I have a LOT of organs installed in HW 4 and I want to avoid having to reinstall hundreds of GBs of samples.

Is there an alternative?

For example, why can't we move all our old files that were in /Hauptwerk to ~username/Hauptwerk? It is possible we would need to also change file permissions and/or file ownership. For those of us who speak Unix, this is easily done with a few chown and chmod commands in the Terminal.

I will hold off doing my two upgrades to HW V until I hear back from Brett or Marin on this.

Les Deutsch

Those who have tried what you suggest have run into a variety of different issues, so it is best to follow the official upgrade procedure for Mac.

mdyde

PostSun Dec 15, 2019 1:40 pm

Hello Les,

[Topic moved here.]

To confirm and add to others' replies, the safe, reliable, officially support way to do it on the Mac platform is to perform a clean installation (as covered in the instructions you mentioned: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=17850 ). However, if you really want to try to 'hack' it (at your own risk), then this might help: viewtopic.php?f=4&t=17952#p135332 .
Best regards, Martin.
Hauptwerk software designer/developer, Milan Digital Audio.

[Please use email or the Contact page if you need to contact us privately, rather than private forum messages.]

Return to Technical support