It is currently Sat Apr 04, 2020 8:16 pm

Sending Raw Midi Data?

Hauptwerk software technical support only. Please make sure you have read the manual, tutorials and FAQ pages before requesting support.
  • Author

tocata

Sending Raw Midi Data?

PostSat Dec 14, 2019 6:19 pm

Martin or others,

Is there a way to send raw midi data thru midi out?

I have got a midi controller similar to the Launchpad but with different midi implementation to light the buttons. If HW could let me define the messages that I need to control said midi device, there wouldn’t be any need to run a third party midi translator in the background.

M. Qualley

Site Admin

Re: Sending Raw Midi Data?

PostSun Dec 15, 2019 11:22 am

I moved topic to Tech Support

Thanks!
Michelle
Michelle Qualley
Director of Marketing & Business Operations
MILAN DIGITAL AUDIO

mdyde

PostSun Dec 15, 2019 12:42 pm

Hello tocata,

Hauptwerk v5's MIDI implementation is the same as v4's (except that v5 adds support for the current/recent Novation Launchpad models), so if you dig around on the forum (e.g. in the 'DIY organ consoles / MIDI' and/or 'Audio / MIDI interfacing' sections) you'll probably find various bits of information about getting similar pieces of hardware to interface with Hauptwerk.

That said, my recommendation would be to use one of the Novation Launchpad series (or something directly compatible), since Hauptwerk has native support for them, including control of lamp states and colours.

The 'MIDI implementation: Switches (stops, couplers, tremulants, pistons, menu function triggers, buttons, etc.)' section in the main Hauptwerk user guide (pages 256-257 in the current v5.0.0 version) briefly covers supported MIDI implementations for those types of virtual controls, and you can see/experiment with the available settings on the 'Organ settings | Stop/coupler/tremulant switches and pistons/buttons' screen (and/or the corresponding screen on the 'General settings' menu). The 'Organ settings | Advanced ... | Custom MIDI configuration messages to send' screen also allows user-defined MIDI messages to be sent whenever the audio/MIDI engine starts or stops.
Best regards, Martin.
Hauptwerk software designer/developer, Milan Digital Audio.

[Please use email or the Contact page if you need to contact us privately, rather than private forum messages.]

tocata

PostMon Dec 16, 2019 10:09 am

Martin,

thanks for taking the time to answer and to point out where to look for more information. Will have to do some reading.

I certainly can see why the Novation Launchpads are very popular amongst HW folks and having added native support is awesome.

Nevertheless, would you think that being able to send raw midi data in hex code is useful and more versatile in the end for specific use cases? Especially if users then were to create "templates" for specific hardware and sample sets, this could add immense value to HW for the technical less inclined. Currently I use Bome Midi translator as a "tool in between" my hardware and Hauptwerk and it works flawlessly, but if HW had the capability of sending user defined midi data, it would be terrific from my point of view.

mdyde

PostMon Dec 16, 2019 10:22 am

Thanks, tocata.

Thanks for the suggestion.
Best regards, Martin.
Hauptwerk software designer/developer, Milan Digital Audio.

[Please use email or the Contact page if you need to contact us privately, rather than private forum messages.]

Return to Technical support