It is currently Wed Apr 17, 2024 10:38 pm

Upgrading WinXP -> Win10

Hauptwerk software technical support only. Please make sure you have read the manual, tutorials and FAQ pages before requesting support.
  • Author

gecko

Upgrading WinXP -> Win10

PostSun Dec 15, 2019 9:00 pm

My old dodge of pretending that the "X" in XP was a Roman numeral is getting old, so I'm upgrading to Win10 at the same time as upgrading from HW 4 to 5. Microsoft doesn't provide an upgrade path, so I'm making a fresh installation of Win10 on a new hard drive (same motherboard, though).

If I understand this right, I want to first install Win10, then copy the HW files over (sample sets - what else?). Then what? Install HW 4.2 and then upgrade? Or just install HW 5? - and if I do that, how do I migrate the samples over? Will HW 5 read the old dongle?

The alternative would be to install HW 5 in WinXP (if possible), get everything licensed and dongled, and then migrate to Win10.

I also want to suggest that a system which enables us to play historical instruments should also support historical operating systems. (Unfortunately, this is a category error.)
I still have a very small website
http://dustyfeet.com

csw900

Re: Upgrading WinXP -> Win10

PostMon Dec 16, 2019 3:41 am

Hi gecko

I think you are making a big mistake if you think an old motherboard of the same vintage as Windows XP will be satisfactory with Windows 10. Even if Win 10 installs, which is unlikely, (you must use the 64 bit version) it will perform rather badly on an old motherboard.

I have myself tried such reuse of old motherboards and been forced to conclude that most of these old boards - along with their processors, memory and hard drives - are fit only for the scrap bin. You may be able to reuse the case, power supply, keyboard and mouse however.

If you download the Win 10 iso (free) and burn it on to a DVD, you can experiment with installing it on to various old computers. I have done this myself and always been disappointed by the result. Part of the problem is that Win 10 seems to lack the necessary drivers for old hardware.

csw900

mdyde

PostMon Dec 16, 2019 10:02 am

gecko wrote:If I understand this right, I want to first install Win10, then copy the HW files over (sample sets - what else?). Then what? Install HW 4.2 and then upgrade? Or just install HW 5? - and if I do that, how do I migrate the samples over? Will HW 5 read the old dongle?

The alternative would be to install HW 5 in WinXP (if possible), get everything licensed and dongled, and then migrate to Win10.

Hello gecko,

[Topic moved here.]

Hauptwerk v5 isn't officially supported on 64-bit XP, but it might possibly work anyway (provided that all XP service packs were installed). We will offer technical support on officially-unsupported platforms provided that any issue doesn't appear to be due to the platform, and that the issue can be reproduced on an officially-supported platform.

If you do move to Windows 10, use 'File | Backup ...' in Hauptwerk v4 first, put the file somewhere safe, then re-format the drive, then install Windows 10, then install Hauptwerk v5 from clean (plus iLok License Manager), activate your licence in iLok, then use 'File | Restore ...' in Hauptwerk v5 to get your old settings/combinations/voicing back. These instructions cover migrating sample set licences and (re-)installing sample sets: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=17833&start=15#p134736
Best regards, Martin.
Hauptwerk software designer/developer, Milan Digital Audio.

gecko

PostMon Dec 16, 2019 10:56 am

Martin, thanks for the advice (and also for moving the topic to the right place). Since there's no harm in trying WinXP, I might as well try that first.

@csw900 - People have generally gotten my motherboard to work in Win10. Gamers aren't happy, but I use my Windows machine for exactly two things - Hauptwerk plus a tax-figuring-out program that doesn't work in an emulator on my main (Linux) machine. So, as long as HW works, I'm ok. The harddrives are new, and there's no graphics card. Worse thing that could happen is that HW doesn't work well, in which case I can recycle the motherboard and memory. I appreciate your warning, though; it's something to bear in mind.
I still have a very small website
http://dustyfeet.com

mdyde

PostMon Dec 16, 2019 11:47 am

Thanks, gecko.
Best regards, Martin.
Hauptwerk software designer/developer, Milan Digital Audio.

Return to Technical support