It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 10:58 am

Location of cache files

Hauptwerk software technical support only. Please make sure you have read the manual, tutorials and FAQ pages before requesting support.
  • Author

Lougheed

Location of cache files

PostMon Dec 16, 2019 11:14 am

macOS Mojave 10.14.6
Hauptwerk 5.0.0.333
Cubase Elements 9.5 (build 55)

I just realized that my internal system drive is almost full, and it should be far from that (only Cubase and Hauptwerk installed on this machine).

I thought I had directed large Hauptwerk files (cache) to the external SSD drive whilst updating to Hauptwerk 5 but apparently not.

I have HauptwerkInternalWorkingFiles folders in both internal drive and external SSD, both containing cache folders:

Config0-Organ Caches
Config1-Organ Caches
Config2-Organ Caches
Config3-Organ Caches

Looking at the file updates, recent changes (requiring re-caching) I’ve made have been saving to the internal drive, not the external.

How do I move Hauptwerk items from he system drive to the external SSD drive, and have organs added in the future, go to the external SSD drive location? (I need to regain space on system drive, and fill the external drive . . .)

mdyde

Re: Location of cache files

PostMon Dec 16, 2019 11:56 am

Hello Lawrence,

Lougheed wrote:How do I move Hauptwerk items from he system drive to the external SSD drive, and have organs added in the future, go to the external SSD drive location? (I need to regain space on system drive, and fill the external drive . . .)

You can't have some organs installed on one drive and others on another -- all components of a given type (e.g. HauptwerkSampleSetsAndComponents or HauptwerkInternalWorkingFiles or HauptwerkUserData) need to be on the same drive. However, you can re-run the installer (selecting its Custom option) to change/move installation locations. The 'Changing installation locations' section in the main Hauptwerk user guide (page 28 in the current v5.0.0 version) covers it. (Also make sure you use 'File | Backup ...' first in case anything goes wrong, as covered in those instructions.)
Best regards, Martin.
Hauptwerk software designer/developer, Milan Digital Audio.

mnailor

PostMon Dec 16, 2019 1:10 pm

Martin, will the installer merge the two existing internal working directories (from system disk to external SSD) in this case? I've never tried asking the installer to move from a populated dir to another populated dir. Thanks.

mdyde

PostMon Dec 16, 2019 1:18 pm

Hello Lawrence,

It won't do any harm. Off the top of my head, I think the HauptwerkInternalWorkingFiles folder will just be emptied if moving it, and Hauptwerk will then correctly regenerate it.
Best regards, Martin.

mnailor

PostMon Dec 16, 2019 1:20 pm

So just the cost of a recache. Not so bad. Thank you.

mdyde

PostMon Dec 16, 2019 1:26 pm

Thanks. (My apologies -- I see I mistakenly addressed me previous reply to Lawrence.)
Best regards, Martin.

Lougheed

PostMon Dec 16, 2019 1:32 pm

It worked, Martin. Thank you. :-)

Whilst reinstalling, I in all cases selected the the external drive as the path.

I now have Hauptwerk user data on the system drive, and the internal working files and sample sets and components on the external drive.

I have now tested by loading in five different instruments. All settings are intact, and interestingly (at least to me) they loaded without first having to re-cached! (I did not load the settings backup file).

Lawrence

mdyde

PostMon Dec 16, 2019 1:39 pm

Thanks, Lawrence.

Excellent.
Best regards, Martin.

Return to Technical support