It is currently Thu Feb 20, 2020 10:09 pm

Backup/Restore

Hauptwerk software technical support only. Please make sure you have read the manual, tutorials and FAQ pages before requesting support.
  • Author

NickNelson

Backup/Restore

PostFri Dec 20, 2019 7:18 am

It seems that (accidentally) starting HW without the Ilok dongle connected causes all the MIDI mappings to be lost.
These can be restored from an earlier backup of course, but it's still rather inconvenient.

As background, I have one Ilok key (and HW5 licence) but am using my desk top to explore, and try to get my head
around, the new audio engine. This is much more comfortable than trying to do it at the console which has no comfy
chair or decent sized monitor. Becoming a bit absent minded, I sometimes forget to move the key before starting HW
on the 'proper' computer.

Nick

mdyde

Re: Backup/Restore

PostFri Dec 20, 2019 8:26 am

Hello Nick,

You must have had some kind of v5 licence (whether full, or trial) active on the computer when you launched v5, otherwise you wouldn't have been able to launch it at all. As long as there *is* an active licence (of whatever type), Hauptwerk will run normally, and it shouldn't have any effect on MIDI settings.

If your MIDI settings did get cleared, then my first guess would be that when you had disconnected/reconnected the dongle (since it was last being used), the operating system had changed the names of the USB-MIDI devices (e.g. probably because of the USB device being disconnected/reconnected), or re-ordered them, for some reason. If the MIDI device names appear to have changed or been re-ordered then MIDI settings that had previously been auto-detected for those devices may longer work, or may be cleared. It's especially a risk if using more than one USB-MIDI device of the same make/model is used, although keeping them all permanently attached via a powered USB hub that's used exclusively for the USB-MIDI devices often helps to avoid it. (None of that has changed since v4.)
Best regards, Martin.
Hauptwerk software designer/developer, Milan Digital Audio.

[Please use email or the Contact page if you need to contact us privately, rather than private forum messages.]

NickNelson

PostFri Dec 20, 2019 9:00 am

I should have said 'tried to start HW'. Without the ilok key it just starts a yellow 'No Internet Connection' box.

Quitting this, inserting the key and restarting caused the organ to be reloaded without the MIDI working.

However, I have just tried to replicate this and failed - possibly some other glitch not connected with the ilok was to blame.

Sorry to have bothered you.

Nicj

mdyde

PostFri Dec 20, 2019 9:28 am

Thanks, Nick. No problem. You're very welcome.
Best regards, Martin.

[Please use email or the Contact page if you need to contact us privately, rather than private forum messages.]

clemolo

Backups not loading in version5

PostMon Jan 06, 2020 10:42 pm

When I try to restore from a backup it seems to install a new version not the backup. On one occasion it restored from the backup but lost the midi info so I had to re learn all the presets and voices - took me ages. Then the next time I opened Hauptwerk it opened as tho it was a new organ again.
I have the ilok licences via internet as my USB key hasn’t arrived yet.
Thanks for any advice

clemolo

PostTue Jan 07, 2020 4:16 am

I am having a similar problem. The organ is loading without midi working. Although the keyboards were found and work but none of the presets or stoptabs work and have to be relinked. Settings from the tuning and voicing settings were not restored either.
I have tried restoring several different backups with the same result.
I access the ilok licences vie the internet as the USB key I ordered before Christmas hasn’t yet arrived. Not sure if that has anything to do with it.

mdyde

PostTue Jan 07, 2020 6:03 am

Hello clemolo,

[I've merged your post from your other topic into this one, so that both of your posts on the subject are in the same thread, and we can see and reply to them in one place.]

Do I understand correctly that you mean that:

- You used 'File | Restore ...' in Hauptwerk v5 to restore a backup that you had previously made using 'File | Backup ...' in Hauptwerk. (If so, was the backup made by v4 or v5?)

- When you then re-launched Hauptwerk the MIDI settings from your previous backup were no longer working? (If so, does that also apply to the St. Anne's sample set? When you re-launched Hauptwerk, did it report any MIDI devices as being missing? Had you unticked any entries on the 'General settings | MIDI ports' screen since you restored the backup, or since you last loaded the relevant organ prior to making the backup? Doing that would clear your MIDI settings for those ports.)

- Your previous voicing changes for one or more organs were no longer present? (If so, does that also apply to the St. Anne's sample set?)

Please also email both of the following to me (I will send you a forum P.M. with a direct email address):

- A diagnostic file ('Help | Create a diagnostic file ...'), and:
- The backup that you tried to restore.

Thanks. Hopefully they should show what went wrong and why.
Best regards, Martin.

mdyde

PostTue Jan 07, 2020 12:48 pm

Hello clemolo,

Thanks for the email, which I'll reply to here to keep the topic in one place:

clemolo wrote:Thank you Martin,
When I uograded to version 5 last month I loaded the paramount 341 and it performed as expected. I then made a backup in the updated Hauptwerk. However yesterday I instead loaded the Paramount 450 With the following symptoms.
1 none of my presets on my Roland AT900 console were working.
2 I have an iPad Pro linked to my computer using touch Osc. I have 20 general presets on this and all of them worked. But none of the divisional presets or individual voices worked.
3 the keyboards and expression pedal work.
4 previous voicing changes were remembered

I did a restore from my last backup which was dated late December. I saw the message that the program was restored but when I restarted a Hauptwerk it seemed to load a new version this time with none of my voicing changes. I spent a few hours relinking etc then did a new backup.
Next time I opened the program I did a restore from this new backup and it loaded properly with the changes I made before the backup.

Today I loaded the 341 into one of the other 3 versions on my desktop but it loaded a new version not the latest backed up version. So I did another restore from the backup I made a few days ago. Once again the restored program had none of my midi settings or voicing changes.

I don’t yet have an ilok USB key as my delivery is held up somewhere in the Aussie bushfires (the main road from a Perth where I live and Sydney has been closed for nine days). So I have to rely on the internet for a while. I don’t really think that could be the problem but thought it worth a mention.

It doesn't make any difference whether you're using an iLok dongle or iCloud.

On the slight off-chance that you're using Windows 10 and that the issue you mentioned was due to an issue whereby a few Windows 10 PCs misbehaved strangely with v5.0.0 due to shortage of available memory for Windows/drivers/other applications, I've emailed you a temporary build (which should resolve that issue). Please switch to using that, for good measure.

(That aside), v5's backup/restore mechanism is unchanged from v4.2.1, and MIDI settings and their migration are also unchanged since v4.2.1 [except that v5 can no longer migrate MIDI settings directly from a v3 installation]. Hence settings should be migrated/retained in exactly the same circumstances in which v4.2.1 would have done.

Whenever people have reported MIDI settings being lost (in v4 or v5), it's always turned out to be either that they've un-ticked the relevant MIDI ports, or because the name of the MIDI ports have been changed by the operating system/driver (which results in them appearing to be different MIDI devices to Hauptwerk).

Note also that you mustn't plug-in, un-plug, turn on, or turn off audio or MIDI devices whilst Hauptwerk is actually running, since it doesn't support 'hot-plugging' devices (so the device might then appear not to be working until re-launching Hauptwerk, as a result). (Likewise, doing those things with USB devices whilst Hauptwerk is running might result in active connections to the audio/MIDI devices being lost until re-launching Hauptwerk.)

clemelo wrote:Today I loaded the 341 into one of the other 3 versions on my desktop but it loaded a new version not the latest backed up version. So I did another restore from the backup I made a few days ago. Once again the restored program had none of my midi settings or voicing changes.

Note also that the three Hauptwerk configurations (desktop short-cuts) have entirely independent settings and voicing. Hence restoring a backup (using the default restore options) made from one configuration into another won't result in those settings/voicing being present in the other configuration. (The 'advanced' options in the backup restore wizard do allow settings to be copied from one configuration to another, which is covered in the 'Copying your settings from one configuration to another on the same computer' section in the Hauptwerk user guide -- pages 32-34 in the v5.0.0 version.)

Anyway, if (using the temporary build) you restore a backup subsequently and you think that your settings have been lost when they shouldn't have been, then please use 'Help | Create a diagnostic file' and send the resulting file to me, along with the backup you restored. Those files should show the reason. Thanks again.
Best regards, Martin.

mdyde

PostFri Jan 10, 2020 2:10 pm

Hello clemolo,

I think I might have spotted what happened:

After restoring any v4 backup, your settings would then all be at v4 level, so when you then launched Hauptwerk v5 it would appear to v5 to be the first time that it had run since you were using v4. The General Configuration Wizard runs automatically the first time that you launch any major new version of Hauptwerk (including the first time after restoring any backup made from the previous major version).

Since you were using MIDI output in v4, within the General Configuration Wizard, when it asks you:

"Does your MIDI console have MIDI-controlled solenoid-actuated/illuminated draw-knobs/tabs/stops/indicators? Or do you need MIDI output for other advanced MIDI applications?"

... please make sure that you select "Yes. Enable MIDI output from Hauptwerk". (If you instead say 'no' to that question then any virtual controls that are currently configured to produce MIDI output will have their MIDI (input and output) settings cleared, i.e. would need to be auto-detected again. Hauptwerk v5 behaves the same as v4 did in that regard.)

In the diagnostic file you sent, I can see that all of your v4 settings were retained and migrated successfully except for the MIDI settings for virtual controls that were previously configured to produce MIDI output (because you selected 'no' when asked whether you wanted to enable MIDI output by the General Configuration Wizard).

Hence please try simply restoring your v4 backup again [it doesn't matter if it crashes after reporting that it has been restored successfully], then launch v5, then when the General Configuration Wizard runs make sure that you un-tick all of the 'reset' options, and that you select "Yes. Enable MIDI output from Hauptwerk" when asked whether you need MIDI output. [Also, avoid changing any of the ticked MIDI IN or MIDI OUT ports, since doing so would clear MIDI settings that relate to them, as was the case with v4.]

All of your v4 audio and MIDI settings should then be retained in v5.

Does that solve it?
Best regards, Martin.

mdyde

PostMon Jan 13, 2020 9:56 am

A quick update on this, for the benefit of anybody else reading it:

clemolo's apparently-lost MIDI settings did indeed just turn out to be due to having previously been using MIDI output and thus needing to respond positively to the "Does your MIDI console have MIDI-controlled solenoid-actuated/illuminated draw-knobs/tabs/stops/indicators? Or do you need MIDI output for other advanced MIDI applications?" question in the General Configuration Wizard, and needing to have a MIDI console hardware type setting that supports MIDI output selected in it (which the 'Assorted MIDI or USB music keyboards/synths' hardware console type doesn't).

Also, the apparently-lost voicing settings were just due to some confusion over which source/target configuration was being restored when using the backup restoration wizard in advanced mode.

Hence clemolo now has everything resolved.
Best regards, Martin.

Return to Technical support