It is currently Wed Apr 08, 2020 4:57 am

Reverb Installation

Hauptwerk software technical support only. Please make sure you have read the manual, tutorials and FAQ pages before requesting support.
  • Author

Morse

Reverb Installation

PostSat Dec 21, 2019 5:30 pm

I would like to enter my own reverb impulses into Hauptwerk. The information in the help screen is very sparse. It would be a HUGE help if someone could provide an example impulse installation file of the form: *.ImpulseResponseReverbDefinition_Hauptwerk_xml.

The CODM example files were a big help in illustrating proper CODM file format.
Similarly, an example reverb installation file would be much appreciated.
Al Morse

mnailor

Re: Reverb Installation

PostSat Dec 21, 2019 6:37 pm

Morse

PostSat Dec 21, 2019 6:51 pm

These are the raw rules. But I think it will require a lot of trial and error to come up with an actual file that will load. I was just hoping to avoid that by looking at an example in the proper form.
Al Morse

mdyde

PostSun Dec 22, 2019 6:08 am

Hello Al,

You could simply look at the impulse response reverb definition (XML) files for the the 18 reverbs that are pre-installed with Hauptwerk v5. They're in the HauptwerkSampleSetsAndComponents/ImpulseResponseReverbs folder. (The v5 default installation locations are within your computer account's home folder.)
Best regards, Martin.
Hauptwerk software designer/developer, Milan Digital Audio.

[Please use email or the Contact page if you need to contact us privately, rather than private forum messages.]

Morse

PostSun Dec 22, 2019 6:05 pm

Hello Martin,

I don't think you understood my question. The files in the "HauptwerkSampleSetsAndComponents/ImpulseResponseReverbs" folder are the RESULT of installing a reverb installation file. I was asking about the form of the installation file.

Also, the help file says that the impulses are "true stereo" with 4 channels. How does a stereo waveform have more than 2 channels?
Al Morse

mdyde

PostMon Dec 23, 2019 6:29 am

Hello Al,

Please see the 'Design tools | View Custom Organ Design Module, installation package, temperament, and reverb format documentation' menu item, which covers all of those things in the 'Section 5: Impulse response reverb definition file tables' section.

Briefly, in summary:

- Reverbs need to be packaged for Hauptwerk's component installer via WinRAR/RAR.

- 'True stereo' impulse response reverbs (whether for Hauptwerk or any other convolution application) have four channels, with one channel for each of the four possible source-to-destination channel mappings. In Hauptwerk's case the order of the channels (source->destination) is L->L, L->R, R->L, R->R, which is the same channel order that Cubase's convolver uses/requires, for example. If you look around on the Internet or in audio engineering books you will probably find plenty of information on recording/creating true stereo acoustic impulse responses.
Best regards, Martin.

[Please use email or the Contact page if you need to contact us privately, rather than private forum messages.]

Morse

PostMon Dec 23, 2019 8:17 am

Sorry to have bothered you Martin.
I'm going to drop the subject because:
1) All the impulses I have are stereo wav files (they work fine with Reverberate),
2) I only have audio tools that work with 2-channel wav files,
3) I think on-the-fly convolution is mainly a toy anyway since the best sample sets are recorded with real reverb which will always sound better than fake. :D

All the best,
Al Morse

mdyde

PostMon Dec 23, 2019 8:33 am

Thanks, Al.

No problem. (By the way, the freeware Audacity does support 4-channel files. You could also potentially convert 2-channel impulses to 4-channel by duplicating the relevant channels, although the result would never sound quite as convincing as using 'true' 4-channel impulse responses.)
Best regards, Martin.

Return to Technical support