It is currently Wed Apr 08, 2020 5:18 am

Resource requirements for V5 advanced vs HW4 basic

Hauptwerk software technical support only. Please make sure you have read the manual, tutorials and FAQ pages before requesting support.
  • Author

GoodieHW

Resource requirements for V5 advanced vs HW4 basic

PostSun Dec 22, 2019 1:57 pm

I currently run HW4 Basic Edition in a very simple way with 2 channels output and the St Annes organ. At the moment I do this on a fairly modest 8GB i5 Mac computer. I would love to take advantage of the current offer and go for V5 Advanced. However, I am a bit concerned that V5 will have significantly greater resource requirements which might be too much for my current machine and that I would then be left 'high and dry'.

Any advice would be most welcome.

Thank you

mdyde

Re: Resource requirements for V5 advanced vs HW4 basic

PostSun Dec 22, 2019 2:39 pm

Hello GoodieHW,

[Topic moved here.]

Thanks very much for the interest in v5.

As long as your Mac meets the prerequires (which are covered in the release notice, and in full in the user guide: https://www.hauptwerk.com/documentation/ ) then it should be fine in principle for running v5. In particular, it needs to be running at least macOS 10.12 (although 10.11 will probably also work properly in practice and some people do use it successfully with v5). (Note that you do need to un-install/delete v4 completely before installing v5 on a Mac: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=17850 .)

v5 should be more CPU-efficient than v4 (and the v4 Basic Edition was limited to a polyphony of 1024 anyway), so there should be nothing to lose in terms of CPU performance or polyphony that can be achieved, and probably quite a bit to gain (depending on how powerful your Mac's CPU is).

The v5 Advanced Edition does use very roughly 1 GB more memory than the v5 Lite/v4 Basic editions did for a given organ, so it will use more RAM. However, the v4 Basic Edition was limited to 3 GB, so your 8 GB Mac should still be able to load some more organ data in the v5 Advanced Edition than it could with the v4 Basic Edition. (At a very, very rough guess, on an 8 GB Mac I would imagine that you might be able to load about an extra 1 GB of organ data in v5 Advanced, compared to v4 Basic.)

I hope that helps.
Best regards, Martin.
Hauptwerk software designer/developer, Milan Digital Audio.

[Please use email or the Contact page if you need to contact us privately, rather than private forum messages.]

GoodieHW

PostSun Dec 22, 2019 2:57 pm

Martin, many thanks for your very full response

mdyde

PostSun Dec 22, 2019 3:02 pm

Thanks. You're very welcome.
Best regards, Martin.
Hauptwerk software designer/developer, Milan Digital Audio.

[Please use email or the Contact page if you need to contact us privately, rather than private forum messages.]

Return to Technical support