It is currently Sat Apr 04, 2020 9:16 pm

A couple of quick questions about upgrading to HW5

Hauptwerk software technical support only. Please make sure you have read the manual, tutorials and FAQ pages before requesting support.
  • Author

1961TC4ME

A couple of quick questions about upgrading to HW5

PostMon Dec 23, 2019 3:00 pm

Hello all,

I've read the following a couple times >> https://www.hauptwerk.com/upgrading/ and have created an ilok account. I've ordered an ilok 3 and am awaiting delivery of it which will hopefully be tomorrow. I'll be upgrading from v4 advanced.

First, just a brief rundown on my set-up and how I've been doing things since day 1. My HW computer (Win 7 Pro) has never been on the internet and I will continue to keep it off the internet, so I've used my laptop to download sample sets, upgrades, new licenses, etc., in the past. I then transfer the data in question to a USB thumb drive and proceed to install it on my HW computer off the USB thumb drive. All has always worked great with no issues.

The main couple of questions I have are:

First, do I have to have the ilok 3 plugged in, in order to upgrade to v5 as there is really no info one way or the other concerning the need to have the ilok in place, but I'd assume it needs to be present so HW can detect it?

I'm also not quite sure if while installing v5, (or maybe better yet before I attempt to install v5?), if there's anything I need to do to the ilok prior to installation. Do you have to activate that as well? If so, what exactly do I do?

Before I attempt to install / activate v5 should I remove the old HASP dongle, or does this not matter? My plan is to plug the new ilok in where the HASP resides on the back of the computer now.

Upon the purchase of v5 we are issued from what I can see is a rather lengthy activation code, and the suggestion is to copy and paste it into the window where this info is requested while activating v5. Since my HW computer is not connected to the internet and won't be, this copy and past option is not going to be an option for me.

So, providing I manually (and accurately :lol: ) enter the activation code when prompted, will that method suffice?

At this point I think I've got the rest of it all down and will be ready to fire up v5 soon!

Thanks,

Marc

mdyde

Re: A couple of quick questions about upgrading to HW5

PostMon Dec 23, 2019 3:46 pm

Hello Mark,

First of all, since we'll have limited support from now until the after the New Year period, my advice would be to hold off on actually installing v5 during that period, in case any help/advice is needed with the process.

My brief answers for the moment:
1961TC4ME wrote:First, do I have to have the ilok 3 plugged in, in order to upgrade to v5 as there is really no info one way or the other concerning the need to have the ilok in place, but I'd assume it needs to be present so HW can detect it?

I'm also not quite sure if while installing v5, (or maybe better yet before I attempt to install v5?), if there's anything I need to do to the ilok prior to installation. Do you have to activate that as well? If so, what exactly do I do?
Upon the purchase of v5 we are issued from what I can see is a rather lengthy activation code, and the suggestion is to copy and paste it into the window where this info is requested while activating v5. Since my HW computer is not connected to the internet and won't be, this copy and past option is not going to be an option for me.

(Assuming you buy/bought an upgrade, rather than just want to try a trial), you need to install iLok License Manager on both computers (Hauptwerk computer + Internet computer), attach your iLok dongle to the Internet computer, sign into iLok License Manager, use it to redeem your activation code ('Licenses | Redeem ...'), activating your v5 licence specifically to the iLok dongle, then move the dongle to the Hauptwerk computer, before launching Hauptwerk v5 on the (non-Internet connected Hauptwerk computer).

Here's a thread on using it on an off-line computer: viewtopic.php?f=4&t=17967

As general notes, my FAQ thread here also covers lots of things that it's important to be aware of when upgrading: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=17833

(Also, known bugs are listed here: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=17970 .)

1961TC4ME wrote:Before I attempt to install / activate v5 should I remove the old HASP dongle, or does this not matter? My plan is to plug the new ilok in where the HASP resides on the back of the computer now.

It shouldn't matter whether you remove the v4 HASP dongle or not. (The v4 dongle is only needed when you want to migrate your sample set licences, instructions for which are in my FAQ thread above.)

Hope that helps and have a good Christmas.
Best regards, Martin.
Hauptwerk software designer/developer, Milan Digital Audio.

[Please use email or the Contact page if you need to contact us privately, rather than private forum messages.]

micdev

Site Admin

PostMon Dec 23, 2019 3:48 pm

Hello Marc,

Have a look at this post, summarizing the whole upgrade process - http://forum.hauptwerk.com/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=17833&start=15#p134736

This should answer all your questions.

You will need a computer (not your HW computer, but any other computer) connected to the internet so iLOK manager can connect; then you will be able to activate your license (redeem) and move the license to your iLOK dongle.
If you don't have another computer... well... you will need to have your HW computer temporarily connected.

Regards
François
Virtually sharing my enthusiasm and experience with you
Worldwide technical assistance, consultation and ready to play system.

http://www.HauptwerkConsultant.com

AND Hauptwerk Support Manager

1961TC4ME

PostMon Dec 23, 2019 3:56 pm

Hello Martin and Francois,

Thanks for the very quick responses! That should suffice for now and I'll refer to the links as well, this should get me through it all. One thing I didn't even think of is the need to have my laptop also set up for the ilok part as well. I would have been stuck right there scratching my head, so I'm glad I asked now.

You both have a good Christmas as well. Can't believe it's just around the corner!

Regards,

Marc

micdev

Site Admin

PostMon Dec 23, 2019 4:21 pm

Thanks Marc,

As Martin said (and this is a good advice for everyone...) if you haven't install Hauptwerk 5 yet, you should wait till beginning of 2020 so we can offer you the support you may need.

Merry Christmas all!

François
Virtually sharing my enthusiasm and experience with you
Worldwide technical assistance, consultation and ready to play system.

http://www.HauptwerkConsultant.com

AND Hauptwerk Support Manager

Grant_Youngman

PostMon Dec 23, 2019 4:43 pm

It's probably in the upgrade faqs somewhere (and has been discussed ad nauseam on the forum), but just in case …

You should also generate a backup from your HW4 install. This can be restored into HW5. Besides getting your sample set settings back, in most cases it will also set up HW5 audio routing and mixer to match what you have set up in HW4.
Grant

Return to Technical support