It is currently Sat Apr 04, 2020 9:00 pm

USB MIDI device can't be accessed: Focusrite 18i20

Hauptwerk software technical support only. Please make sure you have read the manual, tutorials and FAQ pages before requesting support.
  • Author

andersonxt

USB MIDI device can't be accessed: Focusrite 18i20

PostMon Jan 06, 2020 10:35 pm

After 2.5 years, my Focusrite Scarlett 18i20, 2nd Gen, began to fail.  I purchased a new one, also 2nd Gen, installed it and started using it in my Windows 7 organ PC.

But I soon discovered that channels 1 and 2 were not producing any sound. I assumed I needed to change the "Monitor Control" setting in the Focusrite Control software.  I changed it from "1-2" to "None."  Thereafter, I got a warning that I needed to update the driver.

After updating, I verified, in Device Manager, that the device and the USB Audio Root were "working properly." In additon, in Control Panel-->Sound, Focusrite USB is set as the default device for playback.

But when I launch Hauptwerk v5, I get the warning that "The following audio or MIDI (or USB-MIDI) interface devices can't be accessed...: Focusrite USB MIDI In."  Can anyone tell me what the problem might be?

Thanks.

mdyde

Re: USB MIDI device can't be accessed: Focusrite 18i20

PostTue Jan 07, 2020 5:10 am

Hello andersonxt,

I'd suggest:

- Exit Hauptwerk if it's running.

- Make certain that no other applications are running that are configured to use your Focusrite for audio output. (Many ASIO audio interfaces only allow one application to use them at a time.)

- Likewise, make sure that your Focusrite isn't configured as Windows' default audio playback or recording device.

- Re-launch Hauptwerk.

- If you still get the message indicating that the device can't be accessed (which indicates that the operating system/driver isn't reporting a device of the previously-used name as currently being present), then select the option to mark the device as temporarily 'off-line'.

- On the 'General settings | Audio device ...' screen, see whether the device's ASIO driver is actually present in the list of devices, but now under a different name. (It's possible that when you updated the driver the driver changed the name it reports for the device to the operating system, in which case it will appear to be a different/new device to Hauptwerk.) If so, select the new entry for the device.

- If necessary, do likewise on the 'General settings | MIDI ports' screen (bearing in mind that if you change the enabled MIDI ports then you will probably need to auto-detect virtual controls' MIDI settings for those devices again).

Does that solve it?
Best regards, Martin.
Hauptwerk software designer/developer, Milan Digital Audio.

[Please use email or the Contact page if you need to contact us privately, rather than private forum messages.]

micdev

Site Admin

PostTue Jan 07, 2020 9:28 am

Good morning,

Since you replaced your audio interface (even if it is the same model) Hauptwerk may see it as a different one/new one, but is looking for the old one. Click "Mark as temporarily off line" and continue. You may get another windows asking if you want to add ASIO: Focusrite (or something like that).

Once in Hauptwerk go to General settings-Midi port and uncheck the one marked as "offline" and checked the new one. Check also your audio configuration and select if needed in the list the right device.

Regards
Virtually sharing my enthusiasm and experience with you
Worldwide technical assistance, consultation and ready to play system.

http://www.HauptwerkConsultant.com

AND Hauptwerk Support Manager

andersonxt

PostTue Jan 07, 2020 5:15 pm

Thanks to both of you. Unticking the offline device was all that was needed. As so often, easy once you know how. Thanks again.

Return to Technical support