It is currently Tue May 14, 2024 2:49 am

Bass split

Hauptwerk software technical support only. Please make sure you have read the manual, tutorials and FAQ pages before requesting support.
  • Author

Jan Loosman

Bass split

PostTue Jan 07, 2020 9:36 am

The first time i load any given instrument, I see the Rank Audio Memory Options screen.
There is a button "bass split."
What is the use of this button if i can't attach a output to the bass part of the rank?
I can't figure this out in the manual,

In the Rank Routing to Audio Mixer Bus Groups screen, and the Rank Voicing/Panning screen, i can route the bass part of the rank to a bass/midspeaker, and i use this a lot but unfortunately the compass is rather limited, not totally suited to my needs.
The compass of the original bass split was much larger then now in the rank routing screen.

Martin i hope you can extend the compass to the old bass split i was used to in the next update.

regards Jan

mdyde

Re: Bass split

PostTue Jan 07, 2020 11:05 am

Hello Jan,

Jan Loosman wrote:The first time i load any given instrument, I see the Rank Audio Memory Options screen.
There is a button "bass split."
What is the use of this button if i can't attach a output to the bass part of the rank?
I can't figure this out in the manual,

The 'Bass split' tab on the 'Organ | Load organ, adjusting rank audio memory options' screen is there purely so that you can load the bass part of a rank in a different resolution (or with other memory-saving options) if you wish. (Unlike v4), the screen isn't used at all for audio routing.

In v5 all rank audio->group routing is instead done via the 'Organ settings | Advanced audio ... | Rank routing to audio mixer bus groups' screen (and via the voicing screen for ranks->perspectives).

Jan Loosman wrote:In the Rank Routing to Audio Mixer Bus Groups screen, and the Rank Voicing/Panning screen, i can route the bass part of the rank to a bass/midspeaker, and i use this a lot but unfortunately the compass is rather limited, not totally suited to my needs.
The compass of the original bass split was much larger then now in the rank routing screen.

Martin i hope you can extend the compass to the old bass split i was used to in the next update.

The split point (on the 'Organ settings | Advanced audio ... | Rank routing to audio mixer bus groups: Bass part of rank' screen tab) can be any MIDI note number you wish between 24 (the C one octave below the bottom of 61-note compass keyboard) up to 60 (middle C). It's true that in v4 the allowed range was technically larger (MIDI note numbers 0 to 128), but I wouldn't have expected anybody would actually want to use a bass split point outside of the range 24-60. (Even unified ranks don't usually extend below note number 24, for example.)

If outside of the range 24-60, can I ask what split point you used, and why? Thanks.
Best regards, Martin.
Hauptwerk software designer/developer, Milan Digital Audio.

Jan Loosman

PostTue Jan 07, 2020 12:42 pm

Hello Martin.

First off all thanks for the exellent version 5.
Although at first a bit difficult to master this new version, i can now see the advantages with the extended features, routing, reverb, etc. many thanks :D
Maybe integrated roomcorrection in V6??

Now i understand the bass splitt button in the Rank Audio Memory Options screen to change resolution and save memory. Good feature!!

Regarding my own use off bass split!

I use this feature as a crossover.
I have a setup with a dedicated Scanspeak High end bass/mid speaker.
Al the notes bellow the central C freq about 256hz are routed to this speaker..
I splitt
32' at 84
16' at 72
8' at 60
4' at 48
Resulting in identical freq. splitt for all these ranks.
Al these notes including harmonics are now routed to this Scanspeak.
Every note above routes to a small Kef speaker.
The advantage is a perfect phase lineair reproduction system.
This gives a noticiabel improvement of the sound avoiding a crossover in the critical part of the spectrum.
A blessing for my ears in my nearfield setup.

Because off the limited basssplit range in V5 i must now route the 32 and 16 feet ranks totally to my Scanspeak's.

Regards Jan
Last edited by Jan Loosman on Tue Jan 07, 2020 1:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

mdyde

PostTue Jan 07, 2020 1:04 pm

Thanks very much, Jan.

Glad to hear you like the new version. We'll increase the maximum MIDI note number for the split point from 60 to 84, so as to cater for that.
Best regards, Martin.

Jan Loosman

PostThu Jan 09, 2020 3:04 pm

Hello Martin

If possible can you expand the midi note nummer to 80.

Many Thanks
Jan Loosman

mdyde

PostFri Jan 10, 2020 4:50 am

Hello Jan,

I increased the range from 24-60 (v5.0.0) to 24-84 (v5.0.1).
Best regards, Martin.

Return to Technical support