It is currently Mon Apr 06, 2020 4:35 pm

Loss of video montior

Hauptwerk software technical support only. Please make sure you have read the manual, tutorials and FAQ pages before requesting support.
  • Author

David Baldwin

Re: Loss of video montior

PostWed Jan 15, 2020 6:14 am

I have it now. Nice to know that others are fallible as well as me. Thanks
Best regards
(Dr.) David G. Baldwin

mdyde

PostWed Jan 15, 2020 6:18 am

Thanks, David.
Best regards, Martin.
Hauptwerk software designer/developer, Milan Digital Audio.

[Please use email or the Contact page if you need to contact us privately, rather than private forum messages.]

David Baldwin

PostFri Jan 17, 2020 4:23 pm

When I first reported my problem I had three blanks but the fault went away. So I didn't use the patch. Yesterday, after launching hauptwerk, I ended up three hauptwerk outlines but no console images. I have used the patch and now seems to have cleared it.
(Dr.) David G. Baldwin

mdyde

PostSat Jan 18, 2020 5:50 am

Thanks, David.

Please let me know if the problem occurs again (when using the version I sent). I suspect it was due to the video driver misbehaving due to Windows not allowing it enough memory to work reliably (which the version I sent should resolve, by asking Windows to allow a smaller proportion of the memory for Hauptwerk).
Best regards, Martin.

[Please use email or the Contact page if you need to contact us privately, rather than private forum messages.]

engrssc

PostSun Jan 19, 2020 3:36 am

Hi Martin, Seems to be an occasional problem on one of my systems since converting to Win 10 which I never saw with Win 7. Also experiencing an outdoor wind chill of minus 25 degrees F, (-31 C) tonight. :mrgreen:

Rgds,
Ed

mdyde

PostSun Jan 19, 2020 5:45 am

Hello Ed,

I'll send you a P.M. with the work-around.
Best regards, Martin.

micdev

Site Admin

PostSun Jan 19, 2020 8:36 am

Ed,

Wow, -31C (wind chill) in Illinois! But I beat you, yesterday we had -26C (real) with slight wind, wind chill of -34C... last year we had -46 thou :lol:

Regards
Virtually sharing my enthusiasm and experience with you
Worldwide technical assistance, consultation and ready to play system.

http://www.HauptwerkConsultant.com

AND Hauptwerk Support Manager

engrssc

PostSun Jan 19, 2020 10:00 am

Reminded (different than it is with Hauptwerk) that everyone talks about the weather, but no one does anything about it. :o

Rgds,
Ed

Silken Path

PostSat Jan 25, 2020 1:10 am

I've been seeing video problems, too, particularly after I've stopped audio/MIDI, hibernated, and restarted. Sometimes there will be just an outline where the app should be, and after I've messed with it a while, it looks like stacked windows slightly offset from each other. No Start menu, so have to shut the laptop down with the power switch. I've also seen hibernation hang... but tonight it worked perfectly, and I did it several times.

The reason I haven't squawked about this is because this is a dual graphics i7 laptop with Windows 10 and it recently got a Nvidia update... I made sure today that (1) no application using advanced graphics was loaded at the same time as Hauptwerk and (2) Hauptwerk was not using the advanced graphics (I had that selected for a while with 4.x.)

mdyde

PostSat Jan 25, 2020 5:41 am

Hello Silken Path,

I'll send you a forum P.M. with the work-around.
Best regards, Martin.

Silken Path

PostSun Jan 26, 2020 11:28 am

So far, so good. Hibernates fine now, no video problems, and I've tried both graphics systems without problems. Friesach takes about 38 seconds to hibernate on the SSD.

Thank you very much.

mdyde

PostSun Jan 26, 2020 1:02 pm

Thanks. Excellent.
Best regards, Martin.

Wwhel21

PostTue Jan 28, 2020 2:05 pm

hi Martin,

I would like to try the temporary fix as well if you think it would fix my issue:

I'm running HW V with a MacBook Pro with an additional monitor attached. HW runs fine and I have video display on the MacBook, but the additional monitor goes black after initially working for a brief period of time. Also, I've had to go at times to the console window 3 option to get a second HW window to open.

When this additional monitor is connected to another MacBook Air that I use for non-HW tasks, it works fine as a second (non-mirrored) screen.

Thanks,
Bill

mdyde

PostTue Jan 28, 2020 2:25 pm

Hello Bill,

I've sent you a P.M. with the fix, although given that you're using a Mac (whereas the compatibility issue was specifically related to Windows), I think the issue is probably just over-filling the RAM. I'd suggest switching to using the fix I sent anyway, but please also make sure that Hauptwerk's 'free GB' doesn't get down to zero (or nearly so) once an organ is loaded and audio/MIDI active, otherwise there is always a risk of the computer misbehaving due to insufficient free RAM for the operating system and drivers (etc.) to work properly.
Best regards, Martin.

jab8283

PostTue Jan 28, 2020 3:30 pm

Martin, just a quick update since I applied the "fix". Absolutely excellent results and zero issues since. To hear this organ now is just heavenly and everything working as it should. The only hiccup I'm working on now is the Saffire Pro40 Firewire audio unit keeps changing it's settings without my input and I am working on that issue right this very minute. I've been testing it solid for the past 45-minutes and the sound, oh that sound coming out of the speakers is gorgeous. Here shortly I'll perform a shutdown and restart to see if the settings remain because right now it's perfection. Much better than before with HW4.2.1. During the last restart, I found HW-5 is starting without engaging the Saffire Pro40 unit and it did so at a very high volume level and turning the physical volume knob on the hardware unit had no effect. Therefore I had to physically start the Saffire Pro40 unit software on the computer as a second action upon starting Hauptwerk and immediately that brought the volume level down to normal. I never had to perform a second action with HW-4 as it did it on it's own, but with HW-5 it's not doing that but as said before, I'm working on it. As for video monitor issue, that is resolved.
Jim Barrow II
Crawfordsville, IN. USA
PreviousNext

Return to Technical support