It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 5:55 am

Problem with V: Launchpad, RAM and freezing

Hauptwerk software technical support only. Please make sure you have read the manual, tutorials and FAQ pages before requesting support.
  • Author

clausula_tenorizans

Problem with V: Launchpad, RAM and freezing

PostMon Jan 13, 2020 10:08 am

My upgrade to Hauptwerk V on Windows 10 went smoothly and without event.

While playing---sometimes for up ten minutes and sometimes for up to an hour with everything functioning normally---my Launchpad MkII (which is plugged in to a MB USB port directly and not via a hub) will enter a LED RGB lightshow mode where none of its buttons responds to user inputs. Hauptwerk will freeze when I attempt to unload the present organ or modify settings (such as to modify MIDI OUT and IN settings), and will sometimes freeze when attempting to generate a diagnostic file. My polyphony setting is at 2016 and is not close to being overloaded at the time of the interruptions; sometimes they occur without any MIDI inputs or outputs. Attempting to force Hauptwerk to close from within Task Manger does not cause the task to end, and Hauptwerk retains its hold of the RAM that it had been using prior to the freeze. A system restart is required to reset it.

If I do not restart I can open a new instance of Hauptwerk despite the first instance maintaining its hold of the RAM. Sometimes this new instance prompts me with the "Device not connected, are you sure you want to launch Hauptwerk? Proceed, mark device as temporarily offline, etc" window. Other times it will launch without showing this screen but will display the following error message instead:
"Could not open MIDI OUT port: 'Launchpad MK2'. Make sure that the port is not in use by another program. (Operating system message: There is not enough memory available for this task. Quit one or more applications to increase available memory, and then try again. Message for diagnostics: 3818".
Task Manager reports that there is about 10GB of free RAM available.

I have attempted to connect the Launchpad to USB3 and USB2 ports on the motherboard and have swapped its place with the connection for my audio interface (prior to powering the system on) with no change in the sporadic nature of the fault. The computer is not connected to the internet and is running an iLok Gen3 dongle. Sometimes I can play for extended periods of up to five hours with totally normal operation and the problem crops up irrespective of the organ I have loaded, including making an appearance while using St Anne's. One instance caused the display to present a mostly black screen with artefacts, and after one recent Launchpad lightshow but before the program froze I managed to create a diagnostic file which I am happy to send on.

I am grateful for any help you might be able to provide and I thank you in advance.

mdyde

Re: Problem with V: Launchpad, RAM and freezing

PostMon Jan 13, 2020 10:21 am

Hello clausula_tenorizans,

In case your computer is experiencing memory issues with Hauptwerk v5 (which seem to affect a few Windows 10 PCs), I'll send you a forum P.M. with a temporary work-around that should avoid that.

Please let us know whether that resolves it. Thanks.
Best regards, Martin.
Hauptwerk software designer/developer, Milan Digital Audio.

clausula_tenorizans

PostMon Jan 13, 2020 10:58 am

Thank you very much for your response Martin. I'll try out the new build and report back.

mdyde

PostMon Jan 13, 2020 11:17 am

Thanks.
Best regards, Martin.

clausula_tenorizans

PostFri Apr 03, 2020 4:46 pm

Dear Martin,

Thanks for your replies in January. I tried the patch and have since installed the latest build but continue to experience the issue, although it is intermittent and I cannot seem to find a common factor.

On each occasion randomly, the Launchpad will enter its lightshow mode. Hauptwerk still responds to note inputs and I can change stops by selecting them with the mouse, but selecting any menu item will cause Hauptwerk itself to crash. Although the computer continues to function after that, the task still shows up in Task Manager and it continues to reserve all its RAM.

Following one restart and subsequent launch of HWV, the launchpad is not detected, but following one further restart it is detected and functions as expected until it enters lightshow mode once more.

The LP is connected directly to the computer and does not go through a hub: I initially suspected a power drain issue but changing the port does not appear to affect the issue and the power supply exceeds the wattage being consumed; at any rate, the launchpad will enter lightshow mode whether the CPU is under load or not so it appears to be a random quirk or something.

Any ideas?

Thanks for your help, everything else runs very smoothly indeed.

mdyde

PostSat Apr 04, 2020 4:30 am

Hello clausula_tenorizans,

I'd suggest:

- Make sure that all available Windows updates are installed.

- Make sure that the latest version of the Launchpad driver is installed: https://customer.novationmusic.com/en/s ... d=Novation

- Test the PC's RAM (in case a RAM board has developed an erratic fault, for example): https://www.windowscentral.com/how-chec ... windows-10

- When using Hauptwerk, make sure you don't fill the computer's RAM too completely, in case the Launchpad driver or computer are misbehaving because of a shortage of free memory -- it's safest to ensure that the 'Free GB' value on Hauptwerk's 'Audio, MIDI and Performance' large control panel ('View | Large floating control panels') reports at least few GB as 'free'.

- Likewise, see whether you can reproduce the issue with the St. Anne's sample set (since that doesn't use much memory).

- Try connecting the Launchpad via a different USB lead, in case the lead is faulty (unlikely).

- Try keeping all other non-essential USB devices detached from the computer, in case some other USB device is causing some kind of compatibility issue with the Launchpad.

- Try connecting the Launchpad to different USB ports on the computer (not via your hub). For example, it might conceivably work more reliably in a USB 2 port or a USB 3, if your computer has both.

If those things don't solve it, I'd suspect that the Launchpad hardware itself has developed an erratic fault. If you have access to another computer then perhaps try it on that to determine whether the issue is due to the computer or the Launchpad itself. Alternatively/additionally, if you have access to another Launchpad, then try substituting that for the one that's misbehaving.
Best regards, Martin.

mdyde

PostSat Apr 04, 2020 5:33 am

P.S. For good measure, do also check via 'Help | About Hauptwerk' that you're actually running v5.0.1 (not v5.0.0). (A few people had manually copied the v5.0.0 Hauptwerk executable into their Windows StartUp folder, so that Windows was still launching v5.0.0 automatically, even though v5.0.1 had been installed.)
Best regards, Martin.

clausula_tenorizans

PostMon Apr 06, 2020 3:29 am

Thanks Martin for your reply. I'm in the process of verifying and testing.

Your presence in the forum was the reason that incited me to upgrade to V: everything has been smooth otherwise and I am very grateful to you for your support.

mdyde

PostMon Apr 06, 2020 3:53 am

Thanks very much. You're very welcome.
Best regards, Martin.

Return to Technical support