It is currently Sat Apr 04, 2020 7:37 pm

Ctrl F4 issue

Hauptwerk software technical support only. Please make sure you have read the manual, tutorials and FAQ pages before requesting support.
  • Author

Dave

Ctrl F4 issue

PostTue Jan 14, 2020 7:11 am

Using hauptwerk v on windows 10 with the latest updates (16GB ram, 2 iiyama touch screens). I had everything working fine all setup so no expected or unexpected issues. I had the friesa h extended sampleset running and decided to load the walcker sampleset via ctrl-f4. The effect was to crash everything. Windows went white, hauptwerk stopped and a reboot was required. This indicated that even ilok was thrown out of sync too. I needed to re boot windows a few times for it to fix it's own issues and then ilok required me to resume itself as it seemed to have been thrown out of sync by a day!

Whilst I now have everything back up and running I am reluctant to retry ctrl-f4 again to verify that this is a genuine bug but I thought I would bring it to your attention incase anyone else suffers it to!

mdyde

Re: Ctrl F4 issue

PostTue Jan 14, 2020 7:41 am

Hello Dave,

Given that your whole system misbehaved and that you're using Windows 10, my first suspicion is that your computer was experiencing memory issues with Hauptwerk v5. I'll also send you a forum P.M. with a temporary work-around that should avoid that.

N.B. also it's very important to make sure that you don't over-fill your computer's RAM, otherwise the system might become unstable. Once an organ is loaded and audio/MIDI active, if the 'Free GB' meter on Hauptwerk's Audio, MIDI and Performance large control panel ('View | Large floating control panels ...') shows only a little free RAM (or even none), then you need to load less data into memory (e.g. disable some of the organ's ranks, or disable multiple sample set lots, etc.).

Please let us know if that doesn't solve. Thanks.
Best regards, Martin.
Hauptwerk software designer/developer, Milan Digital Audio.

[Please use email or the Contact page if you need to contact us privately, rather than private forum messages.]

Dave

PostTue Jan 14, 2020 7:58 am

Once again Martin, speedy response. Many thanks for this. I will do as you suggest until next release available. Incidently, a minor point, but I think assigning ctrl f4 not too good since most windows programs use this to close the program and given a situation where the mouse can be knocked unintntially off hauptwerk, actioning ctrl f4 would be unpredictable!

Also I note that some of the issues you are addressing re locking up etc such as polyphony, I have experienced too so using your temp release would be good :)

Regards
Dave

mdyde

PostTue Jan 14, 2020 8:20 am

Thanks very much, Dave.

Dave wrote:Incidently, a minor point, but I think assigning ctrl f4 not too good since most windows programs use this to close the program and given a situation where the mouse can be knocked unintntially off hauptwerk, actioning ctrl f4 would be unpredictable!

Yes -- it's perhaps not ideal (since Ctrl+F4 usually closes windows in multi-document applications on Windows so there is some risk of confusion on Windows), although I'd be a bit reluctant to change it, since the same key assignment has been used since earlier Hauptwerk versions and people might have things that are configured to depend upon it.
Best regards, Martin.

[Please use email or the Contact page if you need to contact us privately, rather than private forum messages.]

Dave

PostTue Jan 14, 2020 2:04 pm

Martin, I have just installed the "beta"(?) Avx Version as you suggest. Initial feed back is very positive (though I confess I haven't tried the ctrl f4 - bit reluctant here!) However the memory management appears to be much better. I have been able to reduce the latency to 50 as well since the higher value of 80 created a delay that annoys me. The cpu has behaved much better than previous when playing with "all the stops" on a reasonably fast piece. I note that the midi audio load now initially slows at around 66% as opposed to 85% this is of course, irrelevant and simply an observation. It does indicate to me that I am using the different exe!

As of this moment good job done here. So again many thanks for your continual work ( as a programmer myself I know what it involves :) ) and speed of response to my concern. I think I will leave the ctrl f4 alone !!!

Regards

Dave

mdyde

PostTue Jan 14, 2020 2:13 pm

Thanks very much, Dave.

You're very welcome.

(There should be no need to avoid using Ctrl+F4 within Hauptwerk to load the last-used organ -- it just triggers the corresponding menu function. However, I do of course understand if you prefer to avoid the short-cut in case you accidentally have a different application in the foreground.)
Best regards, Martin.

Return to Technical support