It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 4:23 am

At the end of my rope with V5 - Help!

Hauptwerk software technical support only. Please make sure you have read the manual, tutorials and FAQ pages before requesting support.
  • Author

micdev

Site Admin

Re: At the end of my rope with V5 - Help!

PostSat Jan 25, 2020 5:01 pm

Good evening Kevin,

********* EDIT 2020-01-26 *********************
I may have an even simpler solution (who doesn't use powershell, so no need to touch UAC). A simple batch that you but in your startup folder

----------------

@echo off
echo Waiting a bit before starting Hauptwerk
Timeout 10
C:\Program Files\Hauptwerk Virtual Pipe Organ\Hauptwerk.exe

---------------

if the timeout value (10 in this example) is not long enough (Hauptwerk generate an error), then simply edit to increase its value until you reach a level where Hauptwerk starts correctly each and every time.

You may want to simply use this very simple solution...

************** END EDIT **********************

Here is a solution/script to start Hauptwerk automatically (without waiting for Pace License services to start, the script will take care of that).

CAVEAT - This is a solution for a PC *NOT* connected to the net since the UAC must be lowered to its minimal. If you don't want to lower it, you will get a prompt "Do you want to allow this app to make changes to your device?".

This solution was tested on my Windows 10 "optimized" PC, but I do not offer any guarantee :shock:

============== BATCH FILE ==========================

1. Create a folder and name it for example Batch. For example it can be C:\Batch

2. In that folder create the following batch file

PowerShell.exe -NoProfile -Command "& {Start-Process PowerShell.exe -ArgumentList '-NoProfile -ExecutionPolicy Bypass -File ""c:\batch\chk_pacehw.ps1""' -Verb RunAs}"

This command is the only line in the batch.

3. Save in the "batch folder". Name it Chk_PaceHW.bat

============= Powershell Script ========================

1. Copy this script (text between the "0000000" in notepad and save it in the batch folder with the name Chk_PaceHw.ps1

$ServiceName = 'Pace License Services'
$arrService = Get-Service -Name $ServiceName

while ($arrService.Status -ne 'Running')
{

Start-Service $ServiceName
write-host $arrService.status
write-host 'Service starting'
write-host $ServiceName
Start-Sleep -seconds 5
$arrService.Refresh()
if ($arrService.Status -eq 'Running')
{
Write-Host 'Service is now Running'
}

}
Start-Process -Filepath "C:\Program Files\Hauptwerk Virtual Pipe Organ\Hauptwerk.exe"

You can change the path and program to start if you use ALT-Config 1, 2 or 3

Basically this script check to see if Pace License Services is started, if not, it will try to start it, wait 5 seconds and if the service is up and running will exit the loop and start Hauptwerk.

As you probably noticed, now when you double click the Hauptwerk icon, there is a delay, something that we didn't have with Hauptwerk 4. So expect this same delay (about 5-6 seconds).

=============== WINDOWS START UP ==============================

Now add a shortcut in the startup folder of the batch Chk_PaceHw.bat, right click on it, click the advanced button and check "Run as administrator".

=============== CAVEAT .... AGAIN =======================

If you don't understand what I'm talking about, don't try it. It is a "rough" solution, you will see windows (2) popping-up. Improvement can be done in the script, but the base is there to suppress Hauptwerk start-up error if the Pace License Services is not yet started.

I haven't done a lot of testing, and on my "optimized" PC, I never had the problem. I guess that Kevin' computer is starting a lot of services (many who could probably be disabled... not for the faint of heart thou...).

Hope this helps
Best regards
François

Virtually sharing my enthusiasm and experience with you
Worldwide technical assistance, consultation and ready to play system.

http://www.HauptwerkConsultant.com

AND Hauptwerk Support Manager

ns_organist

PostSun Jan 26, 2020 6:24 am

Hello Martin,

Thanks very much for your help, and for the updates.

I installed the workaround you sent me on Friday (I didn't see the latest until this morning - I will try it at my first opportunity).

Here's my progress:

I was able to disable the windows page, with the help of the video link you sent. Once I launched HW, I had approx 1 additional GB of RAM leftover when Salisbury was loaded at 16bit. I tried to reload the whole sampleset at 20bit, but the RAM meter went 2 bars into the yellow, and only had 0.8GB of RAM remaining once loaded. After a few other attempts, I was able to load about 60% of the organ at 20bit, and the remaining ranks at 16bit. With this configuration, I have 1.8GB of RAM leftover, and the RAM meter is not showing any yellow bars. I will try the latest workaround you sent and report back.

Regarding the shut down issue - yes, I was clicking on File/Exit when the system hung up. (I don't think I've ever used the 'X' to close the program). With the new file you sent me, the File/Exit works without issue, and the system exits as expected. Thanks.

Regarding the iLok. I did try to place the iLok in my always-on powered USB hub (which I use for my 2 iPads). It did not make a difference when starting up. Although always powered, the blue light on the iLok 'flickers' when the PC is off, and only displays a solid blue light once the PC is on/booting up. Constant power to the iLok didn't make a difference. I still received a iLok/PACE license error on the initial startup. After waiting a few minutes, I was able to launch HW from the desktop successfully.

I've been reading online about the Windows Task Scheduler (not sure if it'll work in Windows 7), and a few other online postings about creating a batch file to delay the programs startup. (This is not my forte!) If you or Francois are able to come up with such a file/routine, I'd appreciate the opportunity to try it. Likewise, If I'm able to create one myself, I'll make a further posting to advise. (I won't have an opportunity until the end of the week to devout time to HW).

Thanks again for your help. Progress is being made. Just slowly.

Kevin

mdyde

PostSun Jan 26, 2020 6:39 am

Thanks, Kevin.

Excellent.

ns_organist wrote: was able to disable the windows page, with the help of the video link you sent. Once I launched HW, I had approx 1 additional GB of RAM leftover when Salisbury was loaded at 16bit. I tried to reload the whole sampleset at 20bit, but the RAM meter went 2 bars into the yellow, and only had 0.8GB of RAM remaining once loaded. After a few other attempts, I was able to load about 60% of the organ at 20bit, and the remaining ranks at 16bit. With this configuration, I have 1.8GB of RAM leftover, and the RAM meter is not showing any yellow bars. I will try the latest workaround you sent and report back.

The newer build I sent should report a bit more of the physical RAM as 'free'. (How much RAM reports as 'free' is always a difficult balancing act for us, since if we allow Hauptwerk to use a larger proportion of the physical RAM, then people naturally tend to use it, and there's always the risk that some people's computers may then be unstable as a result, due to insufficient RAM being left over for the operating system, drivers, and other background tasks to work reliably.)
Best regards, Martin.
Hauptwerk software designer/developer, Milan Digital Audio.

ns_organist

PostSun Jan 26, 2020 7:09 am

Hello Francois,

I didn't see your post before I posted my last update...

Just a few questions:

Just to confirm - I'm using Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit. You said you had tested it in windows 10 - will this work on Win7 also?

1. When you say 'create the following batch file' - do you mean using Notepad, cut and paste the "PowerShell.exe.....Verb RunAs}" line in the notpad file, then save it as "Chk_PaceHW.bat"? So when I'm done, I'll have 2 files in the C:\Batch folder: 'Chk_PaceHW.bat", and "Chk_PaceHw.ps1" (Correct?). The first file (.bat) is the one I put in the startup folder.

2. Currently, I have my HW icon in the startup folder. Should I remove that and replace it with "Chk_PaceHw.bat", or do they both need to be in the startup folder (I'm assuming I should remove the HW icon, but not sure.)

Have a few windows pop up won't be a problem - usually, the monitor isn't on anyway.

I'll wait for your response before I proceed.

Thank you very much for all your effort!

Kevin

micdev

Site Admin

PostSun Jan 26, 2020 9:17 am

Hello Kevin,

Should work with Windows 7 (I think...)

1. When you say 'create the following batch file' - do you mean using Notepad, cut and paste the "PowerShell.exe.....Verb RunAs}" line in the notpad file, then save it as "Chk_PaceHW.bat"? So when I'm done, I'll have 2 files in the C:\Batch folder: 'Chk_PaceHW.bat", and "Chk_PaceHw.ps1" (Correct?). The first file (.bat) is the one I put in the startup folder.

Yes use notepad to paste the Powershell.ex.... Runas}" and save tas Chk_paceHw.bat

Right, you will have 2 files in the c:\batch folder.

In the startup folder, put a "shortcut" to the c:\batch\Chk_PaceHW.bat" ... shortcut...

2. Currently, I have my HW icon in the startup folder. Should I remove that and replace it with "Chk_PaceHw.bat", or do they both need to be in the startup folder (I'm assuming I should remove the HW icon, but not sure.)

Yes remote HW shortcut and replace with the "Chk_PaceHw.bat" shortcut (you know how to create a shorcut..?)

I may have also an even simpler solution (who doesn't use powershell, so no need to touch UAC). A simple batch that you but in your startup folder

----------------

@echo off
echo Waiting a bit before starting Hauptwerk
Timeout 10
C:\Program Files\Hauptwerk Virtual Pipe Organ\Hauptwerk.exe

---------------

if the timeout value (10 in this example) is not long enough (Hauptwerk generate an error), then simply edit to increase its value until you reach a level where Hauptwerk starts correctly each and every time.

You may want to simply use this very simple solution...

Regards
Best regards
François

ns_organist

PostSun Jan 26, 2020 9:26 am

Thanks, Francois.

So, if i use the 'simpler solution' you outlined, am I just creating the batch file (using notepad, pasting the code you provided, and saving it as "Whatever_File_Name_I_Want.bat"? (.bat extension being the important part)?

Do I just put the batch file in startup and leave HW there too, or remove HW from startup?

Finally, if I'm using the workaround exe that Martin sent, do I still use the path:
"C:\Program Files\Hauptwerk Virtual Pipe Organ\Hauptwerk.exe"
Or do I have to do something else to reference the new desktop icon that the workaround created?

Thanks again,
Kevin

ns_organist

PostTue Feb 04, 2020 8:32 am

Hello Martin,

Just an update on my progress. I spent my day off last week (again) trying to resolve the startup issue.

I first tried the 'easy' batch file that Francois sent, with the 'set' delay of 20 seconds at startup. While I understand the concept of the delay, it didn't function as I would like, as sometimes the PC starts faster than others. On my first 2 attempts, the batch file worked, and delayed HW starting for 20 seconds, which allowed for enough time for the iLok to initialize (or whatever it does) before HW started. On my third attempt, apparently my PC was slower, the 20 seconds wasn't enough, and I received the PACE licence error. Short of placing an extreme delay (1-2 minutes) to cover all scenarios, I didn't see this as a long-term, reliable solution.

So, I tried to other 2 batch files (the one that Francois outlined - Powershell.exe... and so on). Those files worked, however, they require a click to "Run as Administrator' on each execution (there was no 'remember my choice/do not ask again' option for this prompt). The only way to work around this, was to disable all windows prompts (I can't remember the windows wording, but something to the effect of 'allow all exe to run without prompting - not recommended'). I chose this option, as I had no other choice. My PC isn't connected to the internet, so I hope this will be OK. I've shut down, restarted (both quickly, and waiting a few minutes), powered completely off the iLok, and at each attempt, it startup up as expected - there is a few MS DOS prompts that pop up, but I don't intend to use the monitor normally, so that is OK.

(It's strange that no other user is experiencing this issue with the iLok - I didn't think my setup was that unique! It would be nice to see a permanent solution 'build in' with HW, so the need for the batch files wouldn't be required.)

Thank you for your suggestions and help.

Kevin

mdyde

PostTue Feb 04, 2020 9:02 am

Hello Kevin,

Thanks very much for the status update, and glad to hear you do now have a workable solution.

ns_organist wrote:Those files worked, however, they require a click to "Run as Administrator' on each execution (there was no 'remember my choice/do not ask again' option for this prompt). The only way to work around this, was to disable all windows prompts (I can't remember the windows wording, but something to the effect of 'allow all exe to run without prompting - not recommended'). I chose this option, as I had no other choice. My PC isn't connected to the internet, so I hope this will be OK.

Yes -- that should be perfectly safe, given that the PC isn't connected to the Internet (and even if it was, provided that one is careful not to install/launch any software with viruses, and have a virus scanner, etc.). Windows 'User Account Control' (the thing that normally prompts you to ask whether you want to allow things to run with administrator privileges) didn't exist until Windows Vista anyway, and people managed perfectly well without it before then.

ns_organist wrote: It would be nice to see a permanent solution 'build in' with HW, so the need for the batch files wouldn't be required.

Since PACE's software needs to 'wrap' and launch Hauptwerk itself, it wouldn't technically be possible for us to address it within Hauptwerk itself, but I asked PACE to consider as an enhancement request making their 'wrapper' software automatically wait (if needed) for the iLok service to be running. Failing that, the only other thing we could potentially do would be to supply Francois' script (or some utility that did the same thing) with Hauptwerk, in case any people need to use it when configuring Windows to launch Hauptwerk on system boot.

Anyway, thanks again, and very glad to hear it's now working well.
Best regards, Martin.
Hauptwerk software designer/developer, Milan Digital Audio.

ns_organist

PostSun Sep 13, 2020 9:28 am

Hello,

It's been a few months since (most of) my start up problems were resolved. However, the batch file that Francois outlined about doesn't work on every start up. About once a month, I still get a Pace Error, stating that there is no active license software running. Once I acknowledge the error, and retry to launch HW, it works (HW launches and starts as normal) - however this requires me to turn on my monitor, and find a mouse to click the error message - I'm not using the monitor/mouse regularly - headless setup.

Is there some part of the batch file that can be changed to allow the system to keep checking for Pace to be running? The utility seems to time out before the Pace software starts on some occasions. I thought it would keep checking until Pace started, but that does not appear to be the case.

Any suggestions?

Kevin

Grant_Youngman

PostSun Sep 13, 2020 11:17 am

Increase the delay time. It looks like the original file had Timeout set to 10 sec. Try 15 or maybe even 20.
Grant

ns_organist

PostSun Sep 13, 2020 12:15 pm

Hi Grant,

I'm not using the first batch file with a 10 second timeout - I'm using the 'Powershell' one called Chk_PaceHW.bat. I can't see a timeout in this utility - I thought it would continually loop until Pace started. However, this doesn't happen.

(Initially, I used the batch file with the timeout, but found the start time to be inconsistent, therefore opted for the Chk_PaceHW.bat file thinking that it would just loop back and recheck until Pace started.)

Kevin

micdev

Site Admin

PostSun Sep 13, 2020 1:35 pm

Hello Kevin,

There is no time out settings in the powershell. It will check for the pace service, if not running, wait 5 seconds then check again.

I can't see a timeout in this utility - I thought it would continually loop until Pace started. However, this doesn't happen.

This is a solution for a PC *NOT* connected to the net since the UAC must be lowered to its minimal value. If you don't want to lower it, you will get a prompt "Do you want to allow this app to make changes to your device?".

What is your UAC setting?
Best regards
François

ns_organist

PostSun Sep 13, 2020 1:50 pm

Hello Francois,

My PC is NOT connected to the internet. The UAC is set to "Never Notify".

Is that what you're asking?

Kevin

micdev

Site Admin

PostSun Sep 13, 2020 2:58 pm

Yep... "Never Notify"

I tried it on on of my systems and it is working correctly

Have you created the batch file calling the PS1? If you run the powershell (open a powershell window in admin mode) and copy and paste the ps1 script in the powershell window. Any error?

Maybe there is something with the rights (the batch runs the powershell with -ExecutionPolicy ByPass)... do you have admin rights?

Hard to say why it doesn't run on your computer. Sorry...
Best regards
François

ns_organist

PostSun Sep 13, 2020 3:16 pm

Yes, I've created the PS1 file as you instructed earlier this spring. It has worked about 90% of the time.

Most times it works as expected - I'm just stumped as to why .. every month or so ... the utility doesn't launch (or does launch but stops before Pace initializes). I can't isolate why/when it doesn't work - it seems random. Nonetheless, this issue is preventing me from completing my console (which is planned to be headless), as I still need to access the monitor to acknowledge this error, and manually restart HW from time to time.

I don't think it's a permission/rights/admin issue. If it was, I don't think it would work at all. Likewise for the files I've created with your instructions - if they were created incorrectly, I don't think they would run correctly 90% of the time, and not the other 10%.

Is nobody else having issues with HW launching on a windows PC at startup without the PACE dongle initialized? I really don't think my setup is that unique.

Kevin
PreviousNext

Return to Technical support