It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 11:47 pm

At the end of my rope with V5 - Help!

Hauptwerk software technical support only. Please make sure you have read the manual, tutorials and FAQ pages before requesting support.
  • Author

evertjan

Re: At the end of my rope with V5 - Help!

PostSun Sep 13, 2020 4:33 pm

Use this command file of François.
Code: Select all
@echo off
echo Waiting a bit before starting Hauptwerk
Timeout 10
"C:\Program Files\Hauptwerk Virtual Pipe Organ\Hauptwerk.exe"

The original will not work because spaces in the command. So, with 2 times a "

This works.

micdev

Site Admin

PostSun Sep 13, 2020 4:35 pm

Use this command file of Francois

He doesn't want to use the batch file since the startup time varies a lot for him.

The powershell works nicely on my system and to some of my clients. No idea why it doesn't work on his system.
Best regards
François

Virtually sharing my enthusiasm and experience with you
Worldwide technical assistance, consultation and ready to play system.

http://www.HauptwerkConsultant.com

AND Hauptwerk Support Manager

ns_organist

PostSun Sep 13, 2020 5:04 pm

Hi Folks,

There seems to be confusion in my post.

1. I am NOT using the first program with the timeout function. Both utilities were provided in the same post. I've responded to that initial post to keep everything in the same thread.

2. I AM using the powershell program, which DOES work - sometimes - not always. That is why I'm confused.

Francois says it works on his computer, and has no idea why it doesn't work on mine. Again, to clarify - It does work on mine - but not every time I start the computer.

This has been an ongoing issue since I upgraded to V5. I've continued to work on my console, however, as of now, my progress has stopped, as I can go no further without a consistent and reliable solution to this problem, as my next step is to remove my monitor, and complete my headless setup. I cannot proceed at this point.

If V5 hadn't happened, I would have been finished my console by now. Instead, I have spent countless days posting, clarifying my post and reassuring respondents of what I have done, and what is NOT working. I purchased this software to allow me to develop my stills as an organist. However, I have devoted far more time to posting on this forum that I have spent actually playing and practising.

My frustration continues to grow. Perhaps someone from the HW development team could respond to me to address this ongoing issue.

Kevin

micdev

Site Admin

PostSun Sep 13, 2020 8:30 pm

Kevin,

Francois says it works on his computer, and has no idea why it doesn't work on mine. Again, to clarify - It does work on mine - but not every time I start the computer.

You do understand that the problem that you have is not "Hauptwerk related" but "OS related". Windows needs to start various drivers and background tasks and we have no real control over that. The Powershell script I provided, as I said, works perfectly on my system and other systems used by some of my clients.

The script simply look at the status at the service "Pace license services". It will keep testing (that' the while loop) until this service is "Running". If not running, it will try to start the service, wait, then check again. Once the script detects "Running", it exists the loop and load Hauptwerk. No "Running" status, no loop exit".

You may want to add a delay of 5 seconds once "Running" is detected before loading Hauptwerk and see if this fix the problem on your computer.

=============================
$arrService.Refresh()
if ($arrService.Status -eq 'Running')
{
Write-Host 'Service is now Running'
}

}
Start-Sleep -seconds 5
Start-Process -Filepath "C:\Program Files\Hauptwerk Virtual Pipe Organ\Hauptwerk.exe"

============================

And if all fail, use the batch with a longer time out, or simply double-click with your mouse once your computer is booted :wink:

One last thing, you have the latest iLOK manager installed on your computer right?
Best regards
François

mdyde

PostMon Sep 14, 2020 4:35 am

ns_organist wrote:My frustration continues to grow. Perhaps someone from the HW development team could respond to me to address this ongoing issue.

Hello Kevin,

Very sorry to hear that you're still sometimes having problems with getting Hauptwerk to launch as Windows is booting. The way that the PACE system works is that PACE's 'wrapper' software 'wraps' the Hauptwerk executable. When launching the Hauptwerk executable it's actually PACE's wrapper software that gets launched, which in turn launches Hauptwerk itself only once the PACE wrapper is happy that a valid licence is present. The problem you're having is with the PACE wrapper occasionally not finding the licence (because Windows is still in the process of booting services), i.e. the problem is occurring before any Hauptwerk software/code is even running.

Hence there's nothing that we could actually do within Hauptwerk itself about that (since Hauptwerk hasn't even been launched at that point in time).

The things we *could* potentially do are:

1. Ask PACE to consider making their wrapper software wait automatically in that particular situation (i.e. if the PACE licensing service hasn't yet started). As I mentioned previously, I already did that when you first raised the issue.

2. Supply some script/utility that Windows would launch as it boots in place of the Hauptwerk executable, which performed the check/wait before attempting to launch the Hauptwerk executable (via the PACE wrapper). That's what PACE's support recommended to us when we raised the issue with them, and that's what Francois has done, by way of his script(s). If his original script is sometimes not working for you then please keep working with Francois and try his suggested amendments. Francois is very knowledgeable about Windows and I have no doubt he'll be able to get it working on your system. (If all else fails, using/adding a simple delay via either script should work.)
Best regards, Martin.
Hauptwerk software designer/developer, Milan Digital Audio.

ns_organist

PostMon Sep 14, 2020 9:15 am

Thanks Francois and Martin.

To clarify, yes, I realize this is not an issue with HW specifically. However, as HW has made it mandatory that I use PACE to license it, and HW doesn't launch because of PACE, that is why I keep posting here. I never asked for PACE, but was *required* to use it in order to keep using HW (into which I have invested a considerable amount of money). Therefore, I have no choice but to use the current setup.

Francois - I will try to add the 5 second delay and let you know when/if the issue persists - as I've said before - it doesn't happen every time - most times, your workaround works great (and I'm very appreciative for your help) - my console is not designed to handle windows errors, therefore I can't resolve the non-launching of HW without alot manual input.

Is there any other variable in PACE that can be evaluated? I believe we are now evaluation 'Running' as the PACE attribute. Is there another attribute - "Initialized, Ready, Authorized, etc" that can be evaluated - something that happens *after* PACE is running, but perhaps before HW launches?

HW can only launch from the PS1 program, which is why I'm confused as to why it doesn't always work. Martin's explanation makes sense, although doesn't solve my problem.

I will add the 5 second delay later today to the PS1 file. I will keep track of when/if the issue persists, and report back.

Thanks to both of you for both your help and recognition of my problem. I appreciate your help.

Kevin

mdyde

PostMon Sep 14, 2020 9:30 am

Thanks, Kevin.
Best regards, Martin.
Hauptwerk software designer/developer, Milan Digital Audio.

micdev

Site Admin

PostMon Sep 14, 2020 9:49 am

Hello Kevin,

I suspect that your computer is probably not optimized, meaning that many un-necessary services are starting in various order and Windows loads a lot of programs that you don't use, causing delays. Of course if you simply use a batch file who waits 1 minute before starting Hauptwerk you should have problems.

Is there any other variable in PACE that can be evaluated? I believe we are now evaluation 'Running' as the PACE attribute. Is there another attribute - "Initialized, Ready, Authorized, etc" that can be evaluated - something that happens *after* PACE is running, but perhaps before HW launches?

No, since the PS1 check the service status. If on your system it doesn't work, try to temporarily connect a monitor to check any error message, run the switch and edit it to add informative message so you can see where and why sometimes it does work.

You can also check the event viewer and compare what is going when it works -vs- when it doesn't.
Best regards
François

ns_organist

PostMon Sep 14, 2020 10:04 am

Hi Francois,

I've followed the 'Windows Optimization" instructions on the HW website. If you have any other suggestions, please advise me what else to do. I'm using a dedicated computer, purchased specifically for HW, and not connected to the internet.

Regarding error message - There is NO error message, just the pop-up from PACE stating there is no active license found.

If you could provide any details of what you are suggesting I change on my computer, I'd appreciate it. Again - it's the same computer I've used all along. There were no issues with it until PACE arrived on the scene.

Kevin

micdev

Site Admin

PostMon Sep 14, 2020 10:14 am

For now simply try this batch file

@echo off
echo Waiting a bit before starting Hauptwerk
Timeout 60
C:\Program Files\Hauptwerk Virtual Pipe Organ\Hauptwerk.exe

And if this work, then lower the Timeout to 50, 40 etc.
Best regards
François

dhm

PostMon Sep 14, 2020 1:04 pm

Kevin, In addition to Francois' and Martin's suggestions, and to answer your question about what else you might disable in Windows...
Are you aware of blackviper.com? If not, have a look here - particularly at the "tweaked" or "bare-bones" configurations:
http://www.blackviper.com/service-confi ... gurations/
http://www.blackviper.com/service-confi ... gurations/
Additionally, it is recommended to disable Superfetch (aka SysMain).
Hope this might be helpful.
Douglas Henn-Macrae
Authorized Hauptwerk Reseller
http://www.midi-organs.eu
Previous

Return to Technical support