It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 2:01 pm

Salisbury V3 - Choir Diapason Issue

Hauptwerk software technical support only. Please make sure you have read the manual, tutorials and FAQ pages before requesting support.
  • Author

RichardW

Salisbury V3 - Choir Diapason Issue

PostThu Jan 30, 2020 7:41 pm

I have recently reinstalled the MDA Salisbury Willis organ as part of my upgrade to HW V5.

I noticed that, on the Choir Diapason rank, the F above Middle C produced a short tone then a click. It sounds like this.

I originally used the 32-bit version off the samples but have now changed that particular rank to be 16-bit and the issue has gone away. So, two questions:

1) How can I get a 32-bit version of that rank so it works like it did in V4?
2) Do I need to install the patches listed on the MDA web page for the Salisbury organ? It was not clear whether they were for V4 or V5.

Two more questions(!)

1) Why is nothing ever easy?
2) I went to double check version numbers, went to the Organ information menu and it showed me a picture of Salisbury cathedral. When exiting, the window dropped off the main PC screen slightly and now appears to be semi-frozen. If I try to maximise it, it grows then shrinks immediately and if I click on a non-HW window it sounds like someone with an impact drill trying to break in from next door until I re-select HW! I think it used to take up about 25GB of my 32GB ram.

Thanks,
Richard

OrganoPleno

Re: Salisbury V3 - Choir Diapason Issue

PostThu Jan 30, 2020 8:07 pm

RichardW wrote:I noticed that, on the Choir Diapason rank, the F above Middle C produced a short tone then a click.

Sounds like a looping error.

adrianw

PostFri Jan 31, 2020 4:12 am

Richard

I noticed that, on the Choir Diapason rank, the F above Middle C produced a short tone then a click. It sounds like this.

I have just installed all 3 Volumes of HW5 Salisbury on my Mac and cannot replicate this. It sounds fine here.

originally used the 32-bit version off the samples but have now changed that particular rank to be 16-bit and the issue has gone away

24 or 20 bit? Compressed or not? I've tried 24, 20 and 16 without problem.

Why is nothing ever easy?

If you find out, let us know.

Do I need to install the patches listed on the MDA web page for the Salisbury organ? It was not clear whether they were for V4 or V5.

No. I just downloaded the versions on the PDF.

I went to double check version numbers, went to the Organ information menu

The easiest (only?) way to get an accurate version number of a sample set is to go to the Uninstall menu, where it will show you a number (which is the contents of the sample set <Control_OrganVersion> element in the organ definition).

Mine shows
Vol 1 : 1.00 (an error?)
Vol 2 : 1.10
Vol 3 : 1.10

mdyde

PostFri Jan 31, 2020 4:45 am

Hello Richard,

[Topic moved here.]

I've sent you a forum P.M. with a temporary work-around, which I think will resolve your 'click' problem with that pipe (and also help with any Windows RAM-usage related issues that might be relevant).
Best regards, Martin.
Hauptwerk software designer/developer, Milan Digital Audio.

RichardW

PostSat Feb 01, 2020 12:11 pm

Thanks Martin - but I don't seem to have received any PMs, yet?

Regards,
Richard

mdyde

PostSat Feb 01, 2020 12:21 pm

Hello Richard,

My apologies -- I think accidentally I sent it to OrganoPleno instead. I've sent it to you now.
Best regards, Martin.

RichardW

PostSat Feb 01, 2020 12:42 pm

Thanks again Martin,

Yesterday, I swapped the 16bit Choir Diapason back to 24bit and it worked OK - just as it has done previously for several years. (So, I presume that I do not need the patches on the Salisbury web page?)

However, I am now using your latest program upgrade and all seems to be well. I will give it a bit more of a workout later today.

Thank you,
Richard

mdyde

PostSat Feb 01, 2020 12:56 pm

Thanks, Richard.

Excellent.

RichardW wrote:So, I presume that I do not need the patches on the Salisbury web page?)

My understanding is that those patches were for Hauptwerk v4 version of the sample set, and Brett included them in the v5 version. Hence don't apply those.
Best regards, Martin.

RichardW

PostSun Feb 02, 2020 9:29 pm

I have linked the exe file to a shortcut so it works from the same way as before. And, yes, I did double-check the version number with Help-->About Hauptwerk ... to make sure it was working as expected.

It is always upsetting to discover you have just rigorously tested the wrong version of something!

Salisbury now works as expected. I can call up the browser from the Organ--> Show organ information ... menu and there is no hanging.

Also, I tried with my largest sample set which is the Berlin Hill from SP (20-bit Compressed). HW says that I have only 1.2GB remaining of my 32GB RAM when it is loaded. I have tried all stops and couplers simultaneously and while the CPU is not powerful enough to cope with the polyphony, I could not make it hang.

So, as far as I can tell, everything is working.

Thanks also to OrganPleno and adrianw. Yes, I was originally using 24-bit Compressed samples. I saw the 32 on the recording screen and had brain fade. Apologies. And after it had locked up it was not simple to re-check. Thanks for confirming that the V5 Salisbury was OK for you. I thought I must have used the Choir Open Diapason but could not be 100% sure. V4 was certainly OK - but I had tremulant issues with that but that is another story!

Thanks everyone,
Richard

mdyde

PostMon Feb 03, 2020 4:25 am

Thanks very much, Richard.

Glad to hear it's all working well now.
Best regards, Martin.

Return to Technical support