It is currently Sun May 05, 2024 6:29 am

HELP! HW V won't start

Hauptwerk software technical support only. Please make sure you have read the manual, tutorials and FAQ pages before requesting support.
  • Author

deekay

HELP! HW V won't start

PostMon Feb 03, 2020 8:21 am

I am updating to HW5 in a local (UK) church.

I have already successfully updated my own system at home with few problems (and those I have solved), so I was confident that this would go OK. In doing my own installation/upgrade I made notes to give myself a step-by-step guide.
The church computer runs Windows 7 and already had HW 4.2 installed and working. It is a stand-alone computer with no internet connection (and none close-by). The computer hard disk is divided into two seperate drives C:/ and D:/ The organ (and computer) was installed in 2015. I connected an external hard mini disk with the HW V installation program on it.

Two issues occurred.
First on trying to install the program, I got the message that 'there wasn't enough memory to complete the installation, plaese choose a temporary location'. This occured even though there appeared to be lots of memory on both drives. I therefore chose the external drive as a temprary location. The installation appeared to run OK and at the end I got the window telling me so and to 'enjoy Hauptwerk'. Hopefully this is no longer an issue?!

Issue 2 (much more serious) - I then tried to start HW5 from the icon on the screen (config 1). I've checked and it's definitely the shortcut to HW5. I immediately got the message about a missing dll 'MSVCP.140.dll'. Is it just a matter of finding this on line and transferring it (via a USB drive). If so, do I need both the 32bit and the 64bit version and to which folder do I copy the file(s)?? (I've tried rebooting). When this gets solved, am I likely to encounter any more issues?

Any help appreciated as the Church needs the organ fairly urgently.
David

mdyde

Re: HELP! HW V won't start

PostMon Feb 03, 2020 8:26 am

Hello David,

deekay wrote:First on trying to install the program, I got the message that 'there wasn't enough memory to complete the installation, plaese choose a temporary location'. This occured even though there appeared to be lots of memory on both drives. I therefore chose the external drive as a temprary location. The installation appeared to run OK and at the end I got the window telling me so and to 'enjoy Hauptwerk'. Hopefully this is no longer an issue?!

The multi-platform installer software we use for Hauptwerk handles those things. Given that it reported the installation was a success, I think you should be fine.

deekay wrote:Issue 2 (much more serious) - I then tried to start HW5 from the icon on the screen (config 1). I've checked and it's definitely the shortcut to HW5. I immediately got the message about a missing dll 'MSVCP.140.dll'. Is it just a matter of finding this on line and transferring it (via a USB drive). If so, do I need both the 32bit and the 64bit version and to which folder do I copy the file(s)?? (I've tried rebooting). When this gets solved, am I likely to encounter any more issues?

You need to have the (current version of) iLok License Manager installed on the Hauptwerk computer: https://www.ilok.com/

(You will get that error message if iLok License Manager hasn't been installed.)
Best regards, Martin.
Hauptwerk software designer/developer, Milan Digital Audio.

IainStinson

PostMon Feb 03, 2020 8:30 am

Google says that the dll is part of the C++ runtime system. You could try downloading it from a reliable source. Have you installed the iLOK manager on the PC ? it needs to be installed but not explicitly run on each HW 5 installation.
Good luck. Iain

deekay

PostMon Feb 03, 2020 10:43 am

Hi Martin!!

Doh!!!!!! I knew that - I can't believe I've been so stupid. I didn't write that down in my upgrade steps - yet I knew that was a necessary step. I'll go back tomorrow morning and hopefully get it sorted.

Thanks for your very quick reply.

David

mdyde

PostMon Feb 03, 2020 12:06 pm

Thanks, David.

No problem. You're very welcome.
Best regards, Martin.

Greatstave

PostSat Mar 07, 2020 6:04 am

I have just installed HW5.0.1 on my Win 4 PC, upgrading from the last HW release. I suspected it wouldn’t work seamlessly and of course it hasn’t! The installation told me it was successful but as soon as I clicked on the Hauptwerk icon an error message said that it couldn’t start because of missing file MSVCP140.dll

A post on the Forum says this is because the iLok License application is not installed on the organ computer. My supplier said that I only need to have the iLok dongle applied, having been already activated through the iLok License application (installed on another Internet linked computer). In order to avoid glitch-free audio I have ensured that my organ computer is disconnected from the Internet. However; I have now installed the iLok License Application on my organ computer, but of course it wants to be connected to the Internet. I don’t want to do this though.

Help please. This whole upgrade is a dog’s breakfast and I am very unimpressed.
John

engrssc

PostSat Mar 07, 2020 6:18 am

Greatstave wrote:However; I have now installed the iLok License Application on my organ computer, but of course it wants to be connected to the Internet..

For sure the iLok License Manager ??

Rgds,
Ed

mdyde

PostSat Mar 07, 2020 6:41 am

Hello John,

Yes -- you do need to install iLok License Manager on your Hauptwerk computer. The Hauptwerk upgrade/installation instructions in the user guide (pages 25-29 in the current v5.0.1 version) cover that (as do the Hauptwerk prerequisites, and other sections, and the release notice). Please do make sure you follow those upgrading instructions in the user guide, since they contain some important steps (especially if upgrading from a pre-5 Hauptwerk version).

However, you don't need to have an Internet connection to your Hauptwerk computer, or to log in within iLok License Manager on it; iLok License Manager just needs to be installed.
Best regards, Martin.

Greatstave

PostSat Mar 07, 2020 8:02 am

Thank you Martin. I rebooted and clicked on Hauptwerk and everything burst into life!
I would suggest that the installation instructions (which I read meticulously) should make it clear that although the iLok Manager needs to be on the HW computer it doesn’t have to be connected to the internet and that the activated dongle has to be connected.

I’m presuming that once HW5 is up and running I can dispense with the HW4 dongle.
John

mdyde

PostSat Mar 07, 2020 8:20 am

Thanks, John.

Greatstave wrote:I’m presuming that once HW5 is up and running I can dispense with the HW4 dongle.

Yes, except that it's important that you use the 'File | Initiate migration of Hauptwerk pre-v5 sample set licenses to this version ...' function first (steps 17 and 18 in the upgrading instructions for Windows, and I believe your order purchase email would also have had the instructions to use that function).
Best regards, Martin.

Return to Technical support