It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 8:49 am

ILok not inititally recognised

Hauptwerk software technical support only. Please make sure you have read the manual, tutorials and FAQ pages before requesting support.
  • Author

deekay

ILok not inititally recognised

PostTue Feb 11, 2020 2:30 pm

(Apologies if this issue and a solution has already been posted)

I recently done 2 upgrades (home and church) and have the same issue on both installations. The situation at church is critical for the reasons given in the last paragraph below. In both cases, a Hauptwerk short-cut is in the (Windows 7) startup folder so that it automatically loads. Occasionally, (and particularly when starting from a power up) as the computer tries to launch Hauptwerk, it stops and there is a pop-up critical warning that the Ilok PACE system cannot be found. Despite the fact that the message advises to restart the computer, I have found that, if I just close the pop-up and double-click on the Hauptwerk icon, everything then launches as normal.
I tried going to 'General Settings|Advanced Preferences' and setting a delay - but that has made no difference. I assume that the problem is that HW V is starting to launch before the ILok manager has inititalised.

Is anybody else getting this problem? Is there a solution or a work-round? Any suggestions please!

At the church we have a rota of organists. All the others are non-technical but critically, one of them is very elderly and blind. He will be on his own up having struggled up the organ gallery, and will expect HW to simply start-up and automatically load the first organ in the list. (He then uses the thumb pistons by feel to play.) He will not even be aware there is a problem and be unable to understand why nothing is happening. It's rather important we find a solution to this.

many thanks

IainStinson

Re: ILok not inititally recognised

PostTue Feb 11, 2020 3:44 pm

You probably need to delay HW starting so that the iLOK service is running before HW is executed. This has been discussed at http://forum.hauptwerk.com/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=18239&p=138048&hilit=Powershell#p137685.
Iain

micdev

Site Admin

PostTue Feb 11, 2020 3:58 pm

Hello Deekay,

The post is referring to a "workaround" that I developped and is a bit complex, requesting Powershell, admin rights etc. In a latest reply in this thread I'm proposing a much simpler solution, a simple DOS batch file with a delay (you can adjust the delay that will solve your problem. I recommend that you start with that solution, must simpler.

I may have also an even simpler solution (who doesn't use powershell, so no need to touch UAC). A simple batch that you but in your startup folder

----------------

@echo off
echo Waiting a bit before starting Hauptwerk
Timeout 10
C:\Program Files\Hauptwerk Virtual Pipe Organ\Hauptwerk.exe

---------------

if the timeout value (10 in this example) is not long enough (Hauptwerk generate an error), then simply edit to increase its value until you reach a level where Hauptwerk starts correctly each and every time.

You may want to simply use this very simple solution...

Then you simply add a link to this batch in your startup folder (don't forget to remove Hauptwerk from your startup).

Let me know how it goes

Regards
Best regards
François

Virtually sharing my enthusiasm and experience with you
Worldwide technical assistance, consultation and ready to play system.

http://www.HauptwerkConsultant.com

AND Hauptwerk Support Manager

deekay

PostWed Feb 12, 2020 1:47 pm

Many thanks to Iain and micdev for your prompt suggestions....

I decided to go with micdev's solution as it looked straightforward and simpler. (I'm using Windows 7 professional). I've got it working on my home system and will try it out at the church this weekend.

However the code needs amending as it doesn't quite work as previously given (I admit that I didn't think this out for myself, I just googled a few terms and read some answers from others about creating a batch file.) The spaces in the names of the folders where hauptwerk resides means that it's essential to put quote marks around that line as you can see...

@ echo off
echo your own message goes here
Timeout 10
"C:\Program Files\Hauptwerk Virtual Pipe Organ\Hauptwerk.exe"

two possible refinements...
1. If you add a space at the end of the Timeout line and then '>nul', this will hide the countdown if you wish.
2. Adding 'start "" ' at the beginning of the last line will ensure that the DOS command window that opens then closes after HW V has opened. (Otherwise it sits there behind the HW window until you close HW or shutdown the computer.)

So here is my final four-line code (the quotes in the final line are important!)

@echo off
echo waiting for the organ software to start...
Timeout 10 >nul
start "" "C:\Program Files\Hauptwerk Virtual Pipe Organ\Hauptwerk.exe"

For the non-technical and remembering you only need to do this if you want your computer system to start Hauptwerk when it's first turned on, AND HW V is failing to start because you're getting an error message about the ILok not started...

• Open up notepad (or a similar text editing program)
  • Type the above code and save it as "wait.txt" in your documents folder.
  • Before closing, do "save as..." again and this time call the file "wait.bat" (still in your documents folder).
  • Now right-click on the "wait.bat" file and select 'create a shortcut'. This will place a shortcut file in the same folder.
    Keep your documents folder open but now go to the START MENU and click on 'all programs'. Towards the bottom of the list will be 'startup'.
  • Right-click on 'startup' and select 'explore'. A new window will open.
  • Delete the original shortcut to Hauptwerk which will be in there (assuming that you already had HW setup to start automatically).
  • Drag the shortcut from the 'documents' folder to the 'startup' folder.

All done!!

micdev

Site Admin

PostWed Feb 12, 2020 4:15 pm

Great, glad you could improve it. It was a quick and dirty batch file.

The idea of the countdown (without the nul) was that the organist new that something was going on (if someone needs 15-20 seconds... without the countdown someone may simply shutdown and try again.) You can as you did use start, or add in your batch file "exit".

Lots of possibilities with programming :D

Regards
Best regards
François

Virtually sharing my enthusiasm and experience with you
Worldwide technical assistance, consultation and ready to play system.

http://www.HauptwerkConsultant.com

AND Hauptwerk Support Manager

Return to Technical support