It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 4:01 pm

Running out of disk space

Hauptwerk software technical support only. Please make sure you have read the manual, tutorials and FAQ pages before requesting support.
  • Author

johnstump_organist

Running out of disk space

PostWed Feb 19, 2020 11:18 pm

HW4 I had a couple of dozen instruments large and small installed. Now after my upgrade to High Sierra and HW5, I get a message that there may not be enough disk space to load an organ. Is High Sierra or HW5 that much larger that I would be having this problem. I have 1TB Sata drive and it is showing about 90% full after two organ installs ( Oakland aeolian skinner and portland rosales). I have deleted everything I can think of, but just don't seem to be able to free up much space. Any suggestions appreciated
John

marcus.reeves

Re: Running out of disk space

PostThu Feb 20, 2020 4:54 am

Do you have all the downloaded installation files sitting on the same drive? These can take up a lot of space so I store them separately. I’m running HWV on a MacMini running High Sierra with a 500GB drive and still have plenty of space. I use organs such as Salisbury, Hereford, ND de Metz, Bovenkerk Hinsz, Krzeszow, Velesovo etc.
Best wishes,
Marcus

mdyde

PostThu Feb 20, 2020 4:56 am

Hello John,

Any difference in disk space usage between Hauptwerk v4 and v5 (in any given situation) should be negligible. I don't know off-hand whether a clean macOS 10.13 installation needs more disk space than a clean installation of any given pre-10.13 version, but in general newer versions of operating systems do often need some more disk space, and also upgrading an existing operating system installation may well end using more disk space than performing a clean installation of the new operating system version.

When you upgraded from Hauptwerk v4 to v5, did you follow these instructions to delete the folders mentioned in step 3 completely before installing v5?:

viewtopic.php?f=10&t=17850

N.B. in particular, since v5 installs to a different location from v4, if you hadn't completely deleted the last three of those folders, i.e. this one:

3. Use Finder to make sure that all of the following folders are completely deleted (if they exist). You may be prompted for your password:

'/Hauptwerk'[/list]

[The latter folder is at the very top-level of your computer's SSD/hard-drive. In order to be able to find it, make sure that the 'Sidebar | Devices | Hard disks' option is ticked in Finder's preferences.]

... then your old v4 organ files/data would still be in that folder occupying disk space.
Best regards, Martin.
Hauptwerk software designer/developer, Milan Digital Audio.

micdev

Site Admin

PostThu Feb 20, 2020 7:48 am

To add to Martin' the quote was incomplete.

If is the list of the folders to delete

'/Applications/Hauptwerk Virtual Pipe Organ'
'/Users/Shared/Relocated Items/Hauptwerk'
'/Hauptwerk'

Regards
Best regards
François

Virtually sharing my enthusiasm and experience with you
Worldwide technical assistance, consultation and ready to play system.

http://www.HauptwerkConsultant.com

AND Hauptwerk Support Manager

johnstump_organist

PostThu Feb 20, 2020 10:38 am

I do delete installation files once I've installed, and empty the trash caing sure to delete all old HW4 folders. I had to do a new clean install of HW5 being sure to delete the old HW4 folders. However I did not do a clean install of the OS upgrade, so maybe that is the problem. Guess I will start over and do that. Wonder if i can back current HW folders and put them back after the OS re- install or just re-insatall everything.
John

mdyde

PostThu Feb 20, 2020 10:56 am

Hello John,

Before reformatting the drive (which you would want to as part of the clean OS install), definitely make sure you use 'File | Backup ...' in Hauptwerk, and save the resulting file somewhere safe (i.e. not on the same drive!). The 'Moving your settings to a new/different computer or restoring them to your existing computer' section in the Hauptwerk user guide (pages 30-31 in the current v5.0.0 version) covers the only supported way to get everything back on your clean system.

(Although you could potentially instead manually backup, then subsequently restore, the main Hauptwerk folder tree at '[Your OS account's home folder]/Hauptwerk', you might risk ending up with incorrect file/folder permissions and resulting problems in Hauptwerk.)
Best regards, Martin.

johnstump_organist

PostThu Feb 20, 2020 11:32 am

Thanks Martin,
I did just run HW backup to an external Hard Drive and to a thumb drive. Since the install of HW5 doesn't take long, I decided I'll do a clean install of everything. Since I use the MacPro only for HW and sometimes Finale when I want to play in a score, there isn't much to save from it. I'll just start from scratch like it was a new computer and hope that cleans everything up.
John

mdyde

PostThu Feb 20, 2020 1:15 pm

Thanks, John.

Yes -- that should be the safest and best option.
Best regards, Martin.

engrssc

PostThu Feb 20, 2020 4:44 pm

You could also clone the existing drive unto a new larger drive using the free:

https://www.aomeitech.com/aomei-backupper.html

then use the free

https://www.aomeitech.com/aomei-partition-assistant.html

Rgds,
Ed

johnstump_organist

PostThu Feb 20, 2020 8:01 pm

Thanks all,
It is all solved now and the disk is nearly empty with only HW and two sample sets installed, so I can start the process of re-installing more sets.

John

mdyde

PostFri Feb 21, 2020 4:49 am

Excellent. Thanks.
Best regards, Martin.

Return to Technical support