It is currently Wed Apr 17, 2024 10:02 pm

Ready to upgrade to v5, I've got some questions

Hauptwerk software technical support only. Please make sure you have read the manual, tutorials and FAQ pages before requesting support.
  • Author

1961TC4ME

Ready to upgrade to v5, I've got some questions

PostFri Mar 06, 2020 1:55 pm

Hello all,

Ok, here's where I'm at so far. I purchased the upgrade from v4 advanced to v5 a couple months ago, I downloaded the just released revised version of v5, I have an ilok dongle, and I have created an ilok account.

My HW computer does not get nor has it ever been connected to the internet.

Far as I can see right now, the final step before I proceed is to install the ilok manager on my non internet connected HW computer, I have the ilok installer on a thumb drive to do the install, so this part should be no big deal.

Here's where the confusion comes in: First, if I am to just go from v4 to v5, not add any new instruments, etc., and just upgrade my current v4 to v5, I'm having a hard time understanding the need for the ilok account. My initial assumption was (and sounds like I'm wrong) is that I simply launch v5 with the ilok dongle attached, enter the activation code I was given, and at some point during the process will be prompted to migrate the licenses on the hasp dongle to the ilok dongle, follow any additional prompts, it will upgrade to v5 and I'm good to go.

From what I'm reading starting on page 25 of the users manual there's much more I will need to do. What I don't understand is if I'm simply upgrading and I have the ilok dongle, the activation code and ilok manager installed, why the need for all the steps and the need for the ilok account? My assumption for the account is I need it in the event I purchase a new encrypted set later, then this is where the need for the account comes into play.

So again, for my purposes here the main question is why the need right now for the ilok account?

If someone could put this into simple terms for me so I can get my head wrapped around this, it would be much appreciated.

Marc

micdev

Site Admin

Re: Ready to upgrade to v5, I've got some questions

PostFri Mar 06, 2020 3:16 pm

Hello Marc,

Ilok is the new security mechanism to protect Hauptwerk & its sample sets. It is reply the old HASP/Sentinel dongle.

The ilok account is needed to register and save your licenses (in the cloud). If you use an ilok dongle you will be able to move your licenses from the cloud to the dongle. So, since your Hw computer is not connected to the internet you do need another computer to manage your licenses and transfer them to your ilok dongle.

If you purchased HW5, then you already created an ilok account.

On your internet connected computer install iLOK Manager, then log with your credentials. When you purchased your upgrade you received a confirmation email containing your activation key. Once in ilok manager go to Licenses | Redeem.. then type (or copy/paste) the 30-digit activation key.

Your Hauptwerk licenses will now be in your iLOK account. Now, drag and drop your HW license to your iLOK dongle (drag the license "on" your ilok dongle icon, left-pane).

On your Hauptwerk computer, install iLOK Manager (needed for HW to run, but no internet connection needed). Then connect your ilok dongle. You can now install Hauptwerk 5.0.1 installer (please see this link to http://forum.hauptwerk.com/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=18416 to learn more about HW5.0.1 and download the latest version).

Once HW5 installed, make sure that your old Hasp HW4 dongle is still connected (and your ilok dongle). Start Hauptwerk 5 and follow these steps

1. Connect your HW4 dongle to the computer. Start HW5, then go to "FILE" ; If HW5 "sees" the HW4 dongle there will be an option in the menu to transfer your licenses. Select that option ( FILE | Initiate migration...) and follow the instructions. Save the file on your desktop (or somewhere else, but remember where you're saving it since you will need to upload that file to Hauptwerk. In your case you will need to copy the created file or save the file to a thumb drive to do the next steps on your internet connected computer

(NOTE: If the option is not visible in Hauptwerk 5, then go to this page and download and install the needed driver, then start Hauptwerk once installed - https://www.hauptwerk.com/v4-license-updates/) Save the file on your desktop (or somewhere else, but remember where you're saving it since you will need to upload that file to Hauptwerk).
Once the file created, go to this webpage (or click the link in the pop-up windows confirming the successful generation of the file:

On your internet connected computer go to

https://www.hauptwerk.com/prev5licensemigrations/

... complete the form and upload your file (from your thumb drive). Click send “ONCE”. After clicking you will have the impression that nothing is happening… wait 10-15-20 sec or more and eventually the page will update confirming the transfer.

Your licenses will be deposited into your iLOK account. You will then be able to move your licenses to your iLOK Dongle (not HW4 dongle... it is now empty can as no more use... garbage!) or use them in iLOK Cloud.

Now connect (on your internet connected computer) your iLOK dongle and drag and drop all your organs licenses to your ilok dongle.

2. Also, make sure to download and install in Hauptwerk the latest licenses pack (on your HW computer)

https://www.hauptwerk.com/licensingpackages/

Installation is done in HW5 - go to FILE | Install organ... select the file. You will see a bunch of packages on the left-pane... don't bother about that, simply click OK

3. Finally, download the v5 compatible packages for encrypted organs from the manufacturers website. Here is the page for MDA/Milan sample sets;https://www.hauptwerk.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/12/MDA-Instrument-Downloads.pdf

For organs from other sample sets manufacturer, visit their website or contact them to get the links.

On post that I like to refer people to is this one (if you're on MAC make sure to read/apply step #8) -http://forum.hauptwerk.com/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=18013#p135483

Hope this helps
Best regards
François

Virtually sharing my enthusiasm and experience with you
Worldwide technical assistance, consultation and ready to play system.

http://www.HauptwerkConsultant.com

AND Hauptwerk Support Manager

1961TC4ME

PostFri Mar 06, 2020 3:54 pm

Wow! :shock: Thanks much for the detailed explanation, this should get me where I need to go. The only question I guess I have is again, why the need for all this online business and steps when I'd assume a much more simple process would be that my licensed copy of HW I already own could simply do the transfer of the licenses from the old HASP to the new ilok.

But, if this is the way it needs to be done for security reasons, then so be it. I will print off your instructions above, take my time and see if I can perform a successful upgrade soon.

Thanks again for your help!

Marc

micdev

Site Admin

PostFri Mar 06, 2020 5:01 pm

Hi,

The only question I guess I have is again, why the need for all this online business and steps when I'd assume a much more simple process would be that my licensed copy of HW I already own could simply do the transfer of the licenses from the old HASP to the new ilok.

It is more or less what is done but it is done from Hauptwerk 5. Once HW5 installed, a migration file is created (taking the HASP licenses and putting them in the file). That file is uploaded and processed and licenses are deposited in the ilok account. You can't simply copy the licenses from one dongle (hasp) to the other (ilok). That's the way iLOK works.

Seems worse than it is. Of course your setup requires some transfers via a thumb drive (for the migration file, ilok manager etc). You can temporarily connect your HW computer to the internet and this highly simplify the upgrade.

Also, don't forget that you will need to download new HW5-compatible packages of your encrypted organs. So you will need to copy those large packages (usually to an external usb drive) to mve them to your HW computer.

Regards
Best regards
François

Virtually sharing my enthusiasm and experience with you
Worldwide technical assistance, consultation and ready to play system.

http://www.HauptwerkConsultant.com

AND Hauptwerk Support Manager

OrganoPleno

PostFri Mar 06, 2020 6:39 pm

micdev wrote:You can temporarily connect your HW computer to the internet and this highly simplify the upgrade

I would not say that it highly simplifies the upgrade. If the HW computer is not on the internet, but another computer is... then you just have to install the iLok software on both computers, and place the iLok dongle first on the one with Internet, and then on the one with Hauptwerk.

To me anyway, that is FAR preferable to arranging an Internet Connection for a Computer that was never meant to have one, and that is not protected against such an event.

(And I guess you'd need a Flash Drive to transfer a few files from one place to the other, but that should be pretty straight-forward.}

mdyde

PostSat Mar 07, 2020 5:18 am

Hello Marc,

(Topic moved here.)

1961TC4ME wrote: The only question I guess I have is again, why the need for all this online business and steps when I'd assume a much more simple process would be that my licensed copy of HW I already own could simply do the transfer of the licenses from the old HASP to the new ilok.

To add to others' replies, Hauptwerk v5 itself is licensed via the iLok system. (It isn't just sample sets that are licensed via iLok.) An Internet connection and iLok account is needed in order to activate/deactivate/move/etc. any licence (whether for Hauptwerk itself, or for a sample set) to/from your iLok dongle. (However, that doesn't have to be done on your Hauptwerk computer -- you can just install iLok License Manager on another, Internet-connected, computer for such purposes, and move your iLok dongle to it temporarily whenever you need to activate/deactivate any licences to/from the dongle.)
Best regards, Martin.
Hauptwerk software designer/developer, Milan Digital Audio.

Return to Technical support