It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 7:08 pm

Delete sample set / Retrieve later?

Hauptwerk software technical support only. Please make sure you have read the manual, tutorials and FAQ pages before requesting support.
  • Author

1961TC4ME

Delete sample set / Retrieve later?

PostWed Mar 25, 2020 10:13 am

I'm hoping the answer to this questions is yes, but figured I better ask first. I'm nearly out of room on my 1 TB hard drive and I'm interested in trying out a few new sets, but figured I better not try until I make some additional room. I have a couple of licensed instruments (i.e. their license is on my ilok dongle) but I have not yet to downloaded or installed the v5 version of these sets on my HW computer.

First, if I go to uninstall an instrument in v5, will it see and uninstall v4 instruments? Secondly, if I can do this, providing the license for the given instrument is already on my ilok, can I then download the v5 version later if I choose to and install it then even though I deleted the v4 version, or does the v4 version need to be present in order to upgrade to the v5 version? Also just wondering, but does an uninstall also delete the license from the ilok? If so, then obviously I don't want to unintentionally scrap an instrument completely and not be able to retrieve it later.

Thanks,

Marc

engrssc

Re: Delete sample set / Retrieve later?

PostWed Mar 25, 2020 10:29 am

I have copied such files to an external drive where they stay for now. Old, slow mechanical drives can be used esp those that are not continually connected (and running) on a computer. This is part of a backup plan. Advice is further (for safety and security reasons) to store these drives off site or even better to store the files on the Cloud.

Just leave current (active sample set files) on your HW SSD. Easy to switch back and forth without deleting anything.

Rgds,
Ed

mdyde

PostWed Mar 25, 2020 11:26 am

Hello Marc,

In answer to your questions:

1961TC4ME wrote:First, if I go to uninstall an instrument in v5, will it see and uninstall v4 instruments?

Yes -- you can uninstall v4 sample sets in v5, in the same way as any other.

1961TC4ME wrote:Secondly, if I can do this, providing the license for the given instrument is already on my ilok, can I then download the v5 version later if I choose to and install it then even though I deleted the v4 version, or does the v4 version need to be present in order to upgrade to the v5 version?

The former. (No need for the v4 version to be present any longer for any reason at all.)

1961TC4ME wrote:Also just wondering, but does an uninstall also delete the license from the ilok?

No. Hauptwerk itself will never affect what licences are in your iLok dongle/account.
Best regards, Martin.
Hauptwerk software designer/developer, Milan Digital Audio.

1961TC4ME

PostWed Mar 25, 2020 12:23 pm

Hello Martin,

Excellent! Thank you.

Marc

mdyde

PostWed Mar 25, 2020 12:45 pm

Thanks, Marc. You're very welcome.
Best regards, Martin.
Hauptwerk software designer/developer, Milan Digital Audio.

Return to Technical support