It is currently Wed Apr 17, 2024 7:07 pm

Upgrade from 4.2 to 5 / older Mac

Hauptwerk software technical support only. Please make sure you have read the manual, tutorials and FAQ pages before requesting support.
  • Author

cpenotes

Upgrade from 4.2 to 5 / older Mac

PostMon Apr 20, 2020 1:32 pm

I purchased the Upgrade Advanced v4 to Advanced v5 Perpetual. I am currently running 4.2.00.014 on a Mac Pro (early 2009) running OS 10.10.5 Yosemite and it cannot be upgraded to a more recent OS. I am considering buying a Mac Mini i7 6-core to replace the Mac Pro tower, however it will come with Catalina, and I'm not sure that HW v5 works with Catalina. What would be the best way for me to upgrade to v5? Thanks in advance for your help.

Christian Elliott

mdyde

Re: Upgrade from 4.2 to 5 / older Mac

PostMon Apr 20, 2020 1:44 pm

Hello Christian,

Thanks very much for the interest in upgrading.

Yes -- Hauptwerk v5 is fully supported on macOS 10.15 'Catalina':

https://www.hauptwerk.com/requirements/
https://www.hauptwerk.com/wp-content/up ... isites.pdf

There are a small number of known compatibility issues with the platform, but they're minor (mainly cosmetic) and listed in the 'known issues' section at the end of the release notice:

https://www.hauptwerk.com/documentation/

(Hauptwerk v5 definitely won't run on OS X 10.10.x, but perhaps this thread might help if you want to try to upgrade your existing 2009 Mac Pro to a more recent version of macOS: viewtopic.php?f=16&t=17862 .)

I hope that helps.
Best regards, Martin.
Hauptwerk software designer/developer, Milan Digital Audio.

cpenotes

PostMon Apr 20, 2020 2:04 pm

Thank you so much, Martin, for this very helpful information and for replying so quickly!

Assuming I go with the new computer, would it be best for me to transfer my Hauptwerk v4 program, settings and sample sets onto the new computer, and then proceed with the upgrade to v5?

mdyde

PostTue Apr 21, 2020 3:21 am

Thanks. You're very welcome.

cpenotes wrote:Assuming I go with the new computer, would it be best for me to transfer my Hauptwerk v4 program, settings and sample sets onto the new computer, and then proceed with the upgrade to v5?

If upgrading from v4 to v5 on a Mac, you would need to delete your existing Hauptwerk installation completely anyway, as covered in the 'Upgrading or re-installing Hauptwerk' instructions in the main Hauptwerk user guide (pages 25-27 in the current v5.0.1 version: https://www.hauptwerk.com/documentation/ ). There definitely wouldn't be any advantage to trying to transfer/install v4 to/on a new Mac before upgrading. (You wouldn't be able to get v4 to install on macOS 10.15, and you would have to delete it again straight away anyway.)

However, you can certainly use 'File | Backup ...' in Hauptwerk on your existing Mac prior to upgrading, then get all of your settings/combinations/voicing back after installing v5 on your new Mac by restoring that backup via File | Restore ...'. You might find you need to auto-detect your MIDI settings again, which would be the case if your MIDI devices have different names on the new Mac.
Best regards, Martin.

cpenotes

PostSun Jul 12, 2020 10:21 pm

I have HW 4 still running on the old MacTower, and now have HW5 successfully installed on the new MacMini, and am trying to migrate sample sets. How do I accomplish this because according to instructions I've seen you need the HW4 Hasp key and the iLok dongle plugged in at the same time and select "Initiate migration of Hauptwerk pre-v5 sample set licenses to this version..." This instruction assumes HW4 and V are on the same computer.

Additionally, while I've seen download information from paramountorganworks for obtaining HW5 sample sets, I have seen nothing about obtaining HW5 sets for things like Masterworks 331, Virginia Theatre, and Jensen sample sets that I have working in HW4?

Thanks.

mdyde

PostMon Jul 13, 2020 4:56 am

Hello Christian,

cpenotes wrote:I have HW 4 still running on the old MacTower, and now have HW5 successfully installed on the new MacMini, and am trying to migrate sample sets. How do I accomplish this because according to instructions I've seen you need the HW4 Hasp key and the iLok dongle plugged in at the same time and select "Initiate migration of Hauptwerk pre-v5 sample set licenses to this version..." This instruction assumes HW4 and V are on the same computer.

You don't need Hauptwerk v4 to have been installed on your v5 computer -- for migrating your licences you just need to install the driver for the v4 Hauptwerk USB Key (HASP dongle) on the v5 computer, then attach the v4 Hauptwerk USB Key to the v5 computer (also keeping the v5 iLok dongle attached, if applicable), then launch Hauptwerk v5. It will then be able to see both dongles, so you will be able to migrate the sample set licences from the v4 dongle to v5. The driver for the v4 Hauptwerk USB Key can be downloaded here:

https://www.hauptwerk.com/v4-license-updates/

cpenotes wrote:Additionally, while I've seen download information from paramountorganworks for obtaining HW5 sample sets, I have seen nothing about obtaining HW5 sets for things like Masterworks 331, Virginia Theatre, and Jensen sample sets that I have working in HW4?

Download links for the v5 versions of the Milan Digital Audio sample sets can be found here:

viewtopic.php?f=10&t=17988

For Neil Jensen's sample sets, please contact Neil (KeyMedia Productions):

http://keymediaproductions.com/index.php?cat=15
Best regards, Martin.

va3ets

PostSat Sep 05, 2020 12:40 pm

Ah ok, that's good to know. I was going to ask the same thing, as I have a 6 core i7 Mac mini on the way soon. Upgrading from a late 2012 iMac, which is still currently running Hauptwerk 4. THat's good to know that I can just install the driver for the old USB key onto my new Mac, and migrate licenses that way in HW 5.

Return to Technical support