It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 9:43 am

moving hauptwerk on computer

Hauptwerk software technical support only. Please make sure you have read the manual, tutorials and FAQ pages before requesting support.
  • Author

kkiiwwii

moving hauptwerk on computer

PostSun Dec 31, 2006 7:26 pm

I have belatedly taken the plunge and ordered haup2(studio) and the haup2 version of the Skinner organ. I am having capacity problems on my 20GB C drive and wish to re-install on a much bigger E drive.
I am surmising, and would appreciate confirmation or otherwise, as to whether I can just uninstall on the C drive, and then install on the second drive the mailed "version2.00 evaluation" from disk, and then running the saved latest 400MB download (2.21 is it?)– or do I have to run the several in-between updates first? (It sems everything I try to do with computers invariably involves unforseen and tricky problems - "Life was not meant to be easy", said an ex-prime minister of Australia). I hope I will still have access to haup1 as it will not have the polyphony limitation of the new studio version. Upgrade to full version will have to wait until after purchase of new and costly processor/sound card/convolution reverb /RAM/m'board etc., and hoping the NZ$ holds up in the next year.
Charles Seppings

mdyde

PostMon Jan 01, 2007 7:39 am

Hello Charles,

The v2.21 download contains the full set of software, so you don't need to install any earlier versions first. You just need to:

1. If you have any important settings, combination files etc, make a backup of the following folder:

[Hauptwerk installation folder]\HauptwerkUserData

2. Uninstall Hauptwerk, ticking the option to remove all files.

3. Run the downloaded v2.21 installer and select the Custom option to install to your new location.

4. Restore your backed up copy of the HauptwerkUserData folder to its new location, replacing any files there.

5. Launch Hauptwerk. Check that your previous settings are still in effect.

6. Reinstall all sample sets.

Hauptwerk versions 1.00-1.24 can coexist separately from v2, so you can keep v1 installed where it is presently, assuming you have one of those versions.

Best regards and a happy New Year,
Martin.

kkiiwwii

PostTue Jan 02, 2007 7:43 pm

Thanks for advice Martin, but after many hours, I am back to square one. Of all the actions and problems, I hope this sums up the root cause: Trying to perform point 2 - Uninstalling only worked up to "registry", then it 'froze' -waited 15 mins and nothing would move except ctl/alt/del, and advise microsoft of the problem?So, presumably because of registry info still being there,even though haup2 had disappeared from the 'C/programmes', folder, 2.21 would only install as an upgrade on the existing drive, and, although I got the other folders to the E drive, the programme itself just changed to 2.21 still on the C drive. The difficulty is then when I try to load the Skinner v1 in haup2 - the whole 2.5 GB file gets installed back on the C drive- I am not given a choice. . The haup. programme itself could remain on C, but that drive will not hold all these GBs of organ programmes.(I have more than just the Skinner). Can I redirect these to the E drive in any way?
For brevity, I have left out all the other actions I tried, and I hope you can understand any mis-use of terminology. No doubt it is a fatuous remark, but I cannot understand why it is always apparently just me that gets these maddening problems.
Charles Seppings

kkiiwwii

PostTue Jan 02, 2007 8:39 pm

I hope you read this one before attempting to give me a response to the previous one. In the cold light of daytime as against 3 am, I tried MOVING the folder 'haup sample sets and components' to E drive from this bloated 'C/programmes' using windows explorer, and it seems to have worked. I have only about 300 MB of haupt on the C drive and nearly 2 BG of the Skinner (modified) on E. I therefore assume, I can move the other 3 organs similarly after installing in haupt 2. I suppose the registry 'tells' the programme that the files have been relocated?
I have only two of my regular hassles to solve now - sound breaking up on full organ, and getting the swell pedal to function again - I have overcome these in the past.
Sorry if I did not make my real difficulty clear in the first place. The application or programme itself is not too big for the C drive
Charles Seppings

mdyde

PostWed Jan 03, 2007 6:48 am

Hello Charles,

The uninstaller hanging when removing Windows registry entries was a known bug in the v2.20 installer only - it doesn't affect any other version, and was fixed in v2.21. See HW2-000391 on the known bugs page for details:

http://www.crumhorn-labs.com/Support-HWBugsClosed.shtml

Sorry - I hadn't realised you hadn't yet upgraded to v2.21. To avoid the problem, you would have needed to upgrade to v2.21 before following the procedure I described.

In general you can't move Hauptwerk's folders using Windows Explorer without uninstalling first, since both Hauptwerk and its installer have databases that tell it where to find the various components, so you wouldn't be able to load the organs in Hauptwerk, and Hauptwerk's uninstaller would no longer be able to uinstall, upgrade or repair your installation.

However, v2.21's installer was enhanced to try to make it more resilient to folders having been moved or removed, and tries to repair Hauptwerk's files to account for such things when possible. Hence provided that you now have v2.21 installed successfully, and were prompted for the organs folder when running the v2.21 installer, and that you selected your E: drive in response, and can load the organs in Hauptwerk, then it should be fine.

Rather than trying to move the organ components using Windows Explorer (which might risk a component being missed or copied to the wrong place), I'd recommend just deleting the following folder from your C: drive:

C:\Program Files\Hauptwerk2\HauptwerkSampleSetsAndComponents

... and then using Hauptwerk's component installer to reinstall the sample sets via Hauptwerk.

[N.B. don't delete C:\Program Files\Hauptwerk2\HauptwerkApplication.]

Best regards,
Martin.

kkiiwwii

PostThu Jan 04, 2007 7:19 am

It's a relief to know that there was a reason for the uninstallation not working, and not my ignorance/stupidity. Since you say it should now work OK, I think it best that I go through the uninstallation again and do it properly - I can not be positive that I did everything correctly.
It should be quite a quick operation this time - I had not installed 2.21 earlier because of the intention to move it.
The dongle has now arrived in NZ for me to pick up today, and I have also received Brett's haupt2 of the Skinner in the mail, so will have a good night's sleep, cross my fingers, and try to think positive thoughts about getting it all working without another catastrophy. Thanks for help.
CS

mdyde

PostThu Jan 04, 2007 7:29 am

Thanks, Charles.

Yes - my original instructions should be fine now that you've upgraded to v2.21.

Best regards,
Martin.

Return to Technical support