It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 3:46 am

iLok dongle malfunction

Hauptwerk software technical support only. Please make sure you have read the manual, tutorials and FAQ pages before requesting support.
  • Author

mdyde

Re: iLok dongle malfunction

PostWed May 20, 2020 3:44 am

Hello Ed and Drew,

I think it's important to bear in mind that Douglas' problem (existing iLok driver stopped detecting dongle, and needed to be re-installed/updated) occurred on a computer that's connected to the Internet, so probably some automatic Windows update caused it, e.g. by breaking compatibility with the version of version of the iLok driver that Douglas previously had installed.

On a computer that isn't connected to the Internet those risks shouldn't apply.

engrssc wrote:Nothing has been changed since the beginning of Dec, 2019 on this organ. If there is a problem with this organ, esp from iLok which is yet to be found out, I won't have to face the music (or lack of) alone.

If they're still running Hauptwerk v5.0.0 then I'd highly recommend updating it to v5.0.1. v5.0.0 did have a few bugs (and notably a compatibility issue with Windows 10's memory handling on some PCs), all of which v5.0.1 solved.

engrssc wrote:While HW V has some useful features, for sure I don't discount the reliability record that has been the case with with HW 4. If someone wants to underwrite (guarantee with $$$) that HW V with iLok won't have future unforeseen issues, I'm interested.

Nobody can ever absolutely guarantee that any computer-based system won't have any future problems, even if not connected to the Internet. (Any computer hardware can develop a malfunction, disks/operating systems can become corrupted, no non-trivial software can ever be guaranteed to be bug free, including the operating system, drivers, etc.), but Hauptwerk v5.0.1 is now extremely well-proven in the field, with hardly any known bugs/issues (in fact, less than v4 had), and those that there are all minor and mainly cosmetic (minor compatibility issues with recent macOS versions) and listed in the appendix in the v5.0.1 release notice.
Best regards, Martin.
Hauptwerk software designer/developer, Milan Digital Audio.

dhm

PostWed May 20, 2020 4:09 am

mdyde wrote:I think it's important to bear in mind that Douglas' problem (existing iLok driver stopped detecting dongle, and needed to be re-installed/updated) occurred on a computer that's connected to the Internet, so probably some automatic Windows update caused it, e.g. by breaking compatibility with the version of version of the iLok driver that Douglas previously had installed.

Just for clarification, and to avoid any misunderstanding:
This wasn't a "mission-critical" PC (fortunately). And none of my HW PCs are *permanently* connected to the Internet.
Yes, this one had been temporarily connected - it was either one of my studio/demo PCs testing something, or a new one in process of being set up, and therefore downloading software.
And yes, there was a Windows update, which I wasn't expecting, and couldn't stop. :(
Douglas Henn-Macrae
Authorized Hauptwerk Reseller
http://www.midi-organs.eu

mdyde

PostWed May 20, 2020 4:10 am

Thanks, Douglas.
Best regards, Martin.

micdev

Site Admin

PostWed May 20, 2020 5:54 am

Douglas,

You may want to disable "drivers update" in Windows.

- Press Win+R then type control.exe (this will open the old Win7 control panel)
- Click System and Security
- Click System
- Click (in the left pane) Advanced system settings
- Click Hardware tab
- Click Device installation settings
- Tick NO

This will prevent overwriting your drivers.
Best regards
François

Virtually sharing my enthusiasm and experience with you
Worldwide technical assistance, consultation and ready to play system.

http://www.HauptwerkConsultant.com

AND Hauptwerk Support Manager

engrssc

PostWed May 20, 2020 7:26 am

I really am totally aware of these things. A large issue (re this church) is they don't have any tech savvy folks on board, unlike with Greenwood UMC. In this day and age, that seems hard to believe. But I'm guessing the average age of the members is somewhere in the middle 60's or later. So having to tweak things is what they don't want to have to do. The organist, talented musically is well into her 60's. While I am slightly older, she still calls me 'sonny'. :roll:

As a not good from a business point, I'm considering offering them a free check up and use that as an opportunity to upgrade both HW and iLok. The not good part is that's going to cost me in both time and money. Esp since we did everything right in the first place. I have a problem with things that don't 'stay fixed', but life is that way and why I go with reliable, tried and proven.

Rgds,
Ed

mdyde

PostWed May 20, 2020 8:12 am

Thanks, Ed.
Best regards, Martin.

NickNelson

PostWed May 20, 2020 1:07 pm

engrssc wrote:As a not good from a business point, I'm considering offering them a free check up and use that as an opportunity to upgrade both HW and iLok.

My understanding of this thread so far is that if the system worked OK when first set up, is still reported as being OK, and that the system has never, or is ever going to be connected to any kind of network, then there is no reason to be concerned.

Nick

engrssc

PostWed May 20, 2020 1:47 pm

NickNelson wrote:worked OK when first set up, is still reported as being OK, and that the system has never, or is ever going to be connected to any kind of network, then there is no reason to be concerned.

No way to know if it is presently ok as it was set up to run the first version of HW 5.0, not the upgraded version 5.0.1. Does the newest 5.0.1 version of Hauptwerk depend on the newest version of iLok? As well, no one from the church presently wants to venture out (needlessly) to open the church so I can find out. Guess being mostly seniors, they feel more vulnerable?

Rgds,
Ed

mdyde

PostThu May 21, 2020 3:36 am

Hello Ed,

engrssc wrote:Does the newest 5.0.1 version of Hauptwerk depend on the newest version of iLok?

v5.0.1 would probably need a version of iLok License Manager to be present that is at least as recent as was current when v5.0.1 was released. If you upgrade Hauptwerk then you should certainly upgrade iLok License Manager at the same time, and there's nothing to be lost by doing so.

[quote="engrssc"]No way to know if it is presently ok as it was set up to run the first version of HW 5.0, not the upgraded version 5.0.1.[/quote

If the system is working perfectly as it is, and isn't connected to the Internet and is still using Hauptwerk v5.0.0, then there probably isn't an urgent need to upgrade it in the near future. (However It would be good to upgrade it sooner or later.)
Best regards, Martin.
Previous

Return to Technical support