It is currently Wed Apr 24, 2024 9:08 pm

Launchpad pro LEDs not responding in HWV

Hauptwerk software technical support only. Please make sure you have read the manual, tutorials and FAQ pages before requesting support.
  • Author

pcorgan

Launchpad pro LEDs not responding in HWV

PostMon May 18, 2020 11:18 am

Having connected the launchpad pro, there are 3 entries on the HWV MIDI set up screen for both MIDI input and output:
Launchpad Pro16 livepoint
Launchpad Pro16 stand-alone port
launchpadPro16 MIDI port.

Of these, only the Standalone port recognises the Launchpad.

I intend to use the Launchpad to control Extra stops and to implement floating manual changes. I had all this working well with a Mini, version 1 under HW4.

Using this option I can auto detect the required stops, but the button LEDs do not respond correctly. The correct colour option does show up while the button is pressed, but on release, the original colour comes back on.

After switching on, the Launchpad displays a chasing diagonal pattern of lights and then stops with some LEDs on in various colours, and the others are off. Also, a number of buttons are duplicated - pressing one lights up another.

My guess, which maybe very wide of the mark, is that the Launchpad is not initialising properly, but I am at a loss as to how to do a reset, if this is what is needed.

Any advice will be much appreciated.

Thanks

Peter

RaymondList

Re: Launchpad pro LEDs not responding in HWV

PostMon May 18, 2020 2:06 pm

I wish I could fire up my Hauptwerk to help out with this, but I just had knee replacement surgery a week ago today, and am not really in a position to do that as of yet. I can tell you that HWV works well with my 2 LaunchPad MK2's. I get the chasing lights upon power on, then all the lights go out, until I load an organ. I use the LaunchPads for stops, and to select floating divisions for my keyboards, among other actions. All work well with HWV, just as they did with version 4, and have had no issues. Again, I truly wish I could help with this, and wish you all the best figuring it out.

Regards,
Ray
Ray

mdyde

PostMon May 18, 2020 2:16 pm

Hello Peter,

Hauptwerk v4 had support for the 'mark 1' Launchpad models, and Hauptwerk v5 added support for the MIDI implementation that the 'mark 2' models use.

I have a 'Launchpad Mk2' here, and for that (on Windows 10), the only MIDI port entries it presents (for MIDI IN, one MIDI OUT) are each named exactly 'Launchpad MK2'. I just need to make sure that both of those (IN and OUT) are ticked in Hauptwerk, then auto-detect one or more virtual stops/buttons to make the corresponding buttons behave as intended.

I don't have first-hand experience with the Launchpad Pro model(s), but I would expect that you should just need to do likewise. From your description of the port names, I would guess that you either need to:

1. Tick the 'Launchpad Pro16 stand-alone port' entries for both input and output (and no other Launchpad entries), or perhaps:
2. Tick the 'launchpadPro MIDI port' entries for both input and output (and no other Launchpad entries).

Please try:

- Exit Hauptwerk.
- Disconnect/reconnect the Launchpad Pro (so as to 'reboot' it).
- Launch Hauptwerk via a 'spare' (all-default settings) 'Hauptwerk (alt config N)' configuration.
- Enable just the 'Launchpad Pro16 stand-alone port' MIDI IN and MIDI OUT port entries.
- Load St. Anne's, and auto-detect a virtual stop to a Launchpad button.

Does that work properly? If not:

- Please try the same tests (and using the same virtual stop) again with just the 'launchpadPro MIDI port' MIDI IN and MIDI OUT port entries enabled.

Does that work properly?

From the support section on Novation's website, I see that they now list separate entries for 'Launchpad Pro' (which was a 'mark 2' model, I believe), and another entry for 'Launchpad Pro Mk3'. I wonder whether the newer 'mark 3' models use a slightly different MIDI implementation that isn't fully backwardly-compatible with their 'mark 2' implementation (which Hauptwerk v5 supports). Hopefully that isn't the case.

Is your Launchpad Pro a 'mark 3' model?

[Edit: P.S. I see that Ray and I replied at the same time.]
Best regards, Martin.
Hauptwerk software designer/developer, Milan Digital Audio.

randallschmid

PostMon May 18, 2020 5:55 pm

Peter,

The Launchpad Pro has different operating modes that are selected by holding down "Setup" and pressing one of the top four pads. You want to hold down setup and press the top left pad, which will be colored green, then release both buttons. The Launchpad should then work as you want.

-Randy

pcorgan

PostTue May 19, 2020 5:21 pm

Thank you Martin, Ray and Randy for your replies.

Following Randy’s suggestion I have investigated further. For my Launchpad, I can get complete control of stops and LP lights if I set the Launchpad mode to no. 4, Programmer mode using the appropriate LP buttons. The other modes available do not seem to work with HWV on this version - Launchpad Pro24.

Thanks again.

Peter

engrssc

PostWed May 20, 2020 2:24 am

I notice this LP offers many hew features.. Interested as to how these new features can be used with HW esp the velocity and pressure-sensitive pads,

Rgds,
Ed

mdyde

PostWed May 20, 2020 3:18 am

Hello Peter,

Thanks for the status update (and thanks, Randy). Glad to hear you've managed to get it to work properly now.
Best regards, Martin.

randallschmid

PostWed May 20, 2020 6:11 am

I can't think of any use for velocity or aftertouch with HW. Pipe organs by nature do not respond to either.

I do have a non-HW VPO which does respond to velocity - more stops are opened the harder you play - but I prefer to use a keyboard :).

The Launchpad is designed for use with Ableton Live as a clip launcher. I have used the LP Pro's drum mode to trigger a drum machine virtual instrument where velocity is required, but again IMHO a keyboard works better.

NickNelson

PostWed May 20, 2020 1:14 pm

randallschmid wrote:I can't think of any use for velocity or aftertouch with HW. Pipe organs by nature do not respond to either.

I totally agree with you, though there are a fair few tracker action enthusiasts who wouldn't.

Nick

engrssc

PostWed May 20, 2020 5:46 pm

That was my point as far as most if not all the extra features of the Pro version not being needed for HW, unless I missed something. So why get that version for the extra cost?

Rgds,
Ed

pcorgan

PostWed May 20, 2020 5:59 pm

Hi Ed

Thanks for your interest.

For the record, I had the opportunity to buy this from a very reputable local dealer a couple of years ago at a very generous discount, making it cheaper than the LP2 at the time. I think I got a good deal.

Best wishes

Peter

OrganoPleno

PostWed May 20, 2020 7:33 pm

NickNelson wrote:I totally agree with you, though there are a fair few tracker action enthusiasts who wouldn't.

And Theatre Organists...

engrssc

PostWed May 20, 2020 7:49 pm

pcorgan wrote:For the record, I had the opportunity to buy this from a very reputable local dealer a couple of years ago at a very generous discount, making it cheaper than the LP2 at the time. I think I got a good deal.

Sounds great, good for you. My question was asked because I'm always on the lookout to find new ways to do things that I may for overlooked. There have been many such ideas shared here. A real wealth of knowledge very much appreciated. :)

Rgds,
Ed

randallschmid

PostThu May 21, 2020 7:02 am

RBG Launchpads have been out for 4 years now. RBGs have the ability to display 128 different colors at 128 different intensities - enough to come up with a standard color and intensity for each type of pipe and octave.that could be used across different sample sets. However HW's implementation presents a hard-coded selection list of a handful of colors with 2 intensities.

I have moved to an Ipad Pro using Duetdisplay

mdyde

PostThu May 21, 2020 7:25 am

Hello Randall,

Just as background: the selection of Launchpad Mk2 LED colour options that Hauptwerk v5 allows (white, red, green, blue, yellow, orange, magenta) were chosen because other colours looked so similar that it was was difficult to tell them apart in practice, hence even if Hauptwerk did allow other colours (from the 128 the devices theoretically support) I don't think you'd find them useful as means for showing different types/pitches of stops in practice.
Best regards, Martin.

Return to Technical support