It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:01 am

External sequencer to play HW V

Hauptwerk software technical support only. Please make sure you have read the manual, tutorials and FAQ pages before requesting support.
  • Author

Meweber@verizon.net

External sequencer to play HW V

PostTue Aug 11, 2020 6:24 pm

I am trying to play existing HW MIDI files from an external sequencer. This is for play only. When I hook up the sequencer and play the files through a MIDI cable and select the proper port in HW the piece does not play. These files play fine when played with the HW native sequencer. I am using the Brotech mini-midi sequencer so that I can play the files remotely.

micdev

Site Admin

Re: External sequencer to play HW V

PostTue Aug 11, 2020 8:28 pm

Good evening,

Please have a look at the Hauptwerk Installation and User Manual (available at https://hauptwerk.com/documentation - you can also find a copy who was deposited on your desktop during Hauptwerk installation.)

The section about MIDI sequencing... (page 218-229) provides a lot of configuration information.
Best regards
François

Virtually sharing my enthusiasm and experience with you
Worldwide technical assistance, consultation and ready to play system.

http://www.HauptwerkConsultant.com

AND Hauptwerk Support Manager

Meweber@verizon.net

PostTue Aug 11, 2020 9:37 pm

I am using a very simple sequencer which provides a stream of midi data only. It’s not a DAW. There are no settings in the sequencer other than start and stop. I don’t see where this section deals with this very simple scenario.

mdyde

PostWed Aug 12, 2020 3:23 am

Hello Mweber,

That section of the user guide does cover all of the relevant information, although it doesn't specifically have step-by-step instructions for using an external hardware MIDI sequencer to play back MIDI files that had been recorded by Hauptwerk's built-in MIDI recorder.

Hauptwerk's built-in MIDI recorder records MIDI files that use the special, fixed, predefined MIDI recorder/player MIDI implementation, which is covered in brief in the 'Recording and playing back live solo performances: the built-in MIDI recorder/player and its fixed, predefined MIDI implementation' sub-section of the guide (page 218), with the full implementation documented via the 'Recording | View Hauptwerk MIDI recorder/player fixed, predefined MIDI implementation (for this organ)' menu function within Hauptwerk. That fixed MIDI implementation avoids the need to configure any per-control MIDI settings at all in Hauptwerk.

To feed MIDI into Hauptwerk in that format from an external MIDI player, simply select the computer's MIDI IN port to which your hardware MIDI sequencer is connected in the *right-hand* ('Hauptwerk MIDI recorder/player external MIDI IN') column on the 'General settings | MIDI ports | MIDI IN ports screen tab.
Best regards, Martin.
Hauptwerk software designer/developer, Milan Digital Audio.

Meweber@verizon.net

PostWed Aug 12, 2020 8:42 pm

Thanks Martin,
That seems to work.
Mark

mdyde

PostThu Aug 13, 2020 3:24 am

Thanks, Mark.

Excellent.
Best regards, Martin.
Hauptwerk software designer/developer, Milan Digital Audio.

Return to Technical support