It is currently Thu Jan 28, 2021 4:22 am

Weird error message (0059) (Big Sur related ?)

Hauptwerk software technical support only. Please make sure you have read the manual, tutorials and FAQ pages before requesting support.
  • Author

phjo

Weird error message (0059) (Big Sur related ?)

PostWed Dec 09, 2020 6:21 am

Hi,

I wanted to go along with testing with apple m1. (I just bought a simple sound card that works with macOS without the need of installing a third party driver.)

I could install Izola dry without a problem. I was on the process of installing Zöblitz (from Prospectum) when after installing the first rar package (basic), Hauptwerk showed this error message :

Could not empty the folder '/Users/phjo/Hauptwerk/HauptwerkSampleSetsAndComponents/Temporary Files'. Please make sure that you are logged onto the computer with an operating system account with sufficient privileges (such as an administrator account) or try rebooting.

Message code (for diagnostic purposes): 0059

This is really weird to see a permission problem in a local directory. Rebooting didn't change anything.

As for the offending directory, it looks like its name is a bit different : there is no space between Temporary and Files, whereas there is one in the path quoted above.

Is it due to the apple m1, Big Sur, Zöblitz... I have no idea...

mdyde

Re: Weird error message (0059) (Big Sur related ?)

PostWed Dec 09, 2020 6:40 am

Hello phjo,

Whilst we don't yet officially support macOS 11 ('Big Sur') or Apple-CPU Macs, and I don't know for certain whether it might have been caused by some difference in those platforms:

- The extra space character shown in the error message on the screen almost certainly isn't relevant; it will just have been added on the screen to allow the very long space-less line to wrap, so as to avoid the message box becoming excessively wide. If you look in the log ('View | Activity log') you will see the exact text of the message, without any such added spaces.

- My guess is that there is some file/folder within that particular sample set's installation package (or the preceding one that you installed) that has some unexpected file permissions that are preventing it from being deleted on macOS. Try rebooting, then (before launching Finder), use Finder to manually and completely delete all files/folders within the following folder (but not the folder itself):

/Users/phjo/Hauptwerk/HauptwerkSampleSetsAndComponents/TemporaryFiles

... then empty macOS' 'trash can' for good measure.
Best regards, Martin.
Hauptwerk software designer/developer, Milan Digital Audio.

phjo

PostWed Dec 09, 2020 8:10 am

Hi Martin,

Finder has no problem deleting the content of this folder.

And it makes this message go away.

That said, Zöblitz does not appear on the list of installed organs... although when I try to install the rar again, Hauptwerk proposes to reinstall it (which I did, with the same output).

The error message btw appears with every rar from this sampleset (1.01 basic, 1.02 premier 1.01->1.02 basic upgrade and 1.01->1.02 premium upgrade.)

I subsequently installed Azzio (from Piotr Grabowski) without a problem so it seems the problem lies with Zöblitz (in conjunction with Big Sur, M1, or whatever...)

P.S. : it seems there is a 1.03 version of Zöblitz. I am downloading it now. I will report here if it fixes the problem.

mdyde

PostWed Dec 09, 2020 8:28 am

Thanks, phjo.

I have no experience with Prospectum's Zöblitz myself. If needed, you could perhaps try contacting Prospectum.
Best regards, Martin.

phjo

PostWed Dec 09, 2020 8:44 am

Problem solved with 1.03 version of Zöblitz sampleset.

Nothing to do with Big Sur, or apple M1 then...

Pierre-Henri

mdyde

PostWed Dec 09, 2020 8:49 am

Thanks, Pierre-Henri.

Excellent.
Best regards, Martin.

chr.schmitz

PostWed Dec 09, 2020 9:13 am

This is not a Zöblitz problem. I had the problem as well some time ago with other sample sets as well. Deleting the files manually always solved this issue. For some unknown reason, this problem miraculously disappeared without any change.

Best,
Chris

mdyde

PostWed Dec 09, 2020 9:26 am

Hello Chris/Pierre-Henri,

Aside from file/folder permissions, if some other software had the files open at the time (e.g. a virus scanner trying to scan them), then that too could prevent Hauptwerk from being able to delete them.
Best regards, Martin.

chr.schmitz

PostWed Dec 09, 2020 12:33 pm

Hello Martin,

This was not the case on my system. There was no other tool accessing this folder (maybe apart from the Finder). At least I have not installed a virus scanner. Interestingly, it was also only a (temporary) issue on one of two computers running macOS Big Sur. Unfortunately (or better luckily), I can't do any more tests, because the problem has disappeared by itself.

Best,
Chris

micdev

Site Admin

PostWed Dec 09, 2020 12:54 pm

Deleting the files manually always solved this issue.

This problem seems to affect only Mac users. If a subfolder or file has a name containing non-English characters, it may cause that problem. I'm pretty sure that the Zöblitz (note the ö ... not a 7-bit/English character) some installation files had files/folders with non-English characters.

Manually deleting the files solve the problem... and ideally you should report the problem to the sample set creator.
Best regards
François

Virtually sharing my enthusiasm and experience with you
Worldwide technical assistance, consultation and ready to play system.

http://www.HauptwerkConsultant.com

AND Hauptwerk Support Manager

chr.schmitz

PostWed Dec 09, 2020 1:02 pm

This is also not the case. The names of the ODFs are
    - Zoeblitz - Gottfried Silbermann 1742 - standard.Organ_Hauptwerk_xml
    - Zoeblitz - Gottfried Silbermann 1742 - premium.Organ_Hauptwerk_xml
I also checked the InstallationPackage folders. They even do not contain spaces, e.g. 00459/samples/ow/02_rohrfloethe4.

Best,
Chris

phjo

PostWed Dec 09, 2020 1:50 pm

Of course I can't be certain, but it certainly looks like there was a problem with 1.02. I tried 5 or 6 times with the different rar files I had and everytime I had the error message and had to empty this folder manually, and never the organ, although supposedly installed appeared in the list of installed organs of hauptwerk. (I suppose it missed the small but most important part, the xml giving the description of the organ itself...)

When I see that the 1.03 update for Zöblitz appeared on prospectum in december, 2019, it makes me think it might be related to a compatibility issue with hauptwerk V, that may or may not have affected only mac users. My installation packages that I had kept were quite older (2013 or 2014, I don't remember)

Of course Martin, no antivirus of any sort on this macbook... the only application that might have accessed the offending folder would have been spotlight indexing the files, but I doubt it would have prevented the deletion of its content.

Anyway, 1.03 installed without any problem, and it is now the current version of this sampleset, so there is no need to warn the sample set creator.

Return to Technical support