It is currently Mon Jan 18, 2021 6:20 pm

Lost stepper and other setting upgrading to 6-

Hauptwerk software technical support only. Please make sure you have read the manual, tutorials and FAQ pages before requesting support.
  • Author

David Baldwin

Lost stepper and other setting upgrading to 6-

PostSun Dec 20, 2020 10:00 am

My expectation was that when I upgraded from v5 to v6, all my settings would come as well. For me this has not happened, probably due to my lack of understanding of the upgrade process. I have done a full backup of version 5. I have then run the install routine selecting the custom option. This offered me the settings I actually wanted and I proceeded.
When I them loaded my first organ it went through its compile process. It had no keyboard settings or any other settings I have previously made. I then tried restoring my backup which said the process was successful. When I loaded it, it compiled again and when I tried to play that organ, the keyboards were not again defined.
I think I have done something wrong. Can I get out of this whole I have created if for no other reason than I am planning to transfer to a new computer next year and don't want similar problems again.
All that the loading of the backup achieves is the necessity to compile the organ again.
(Dr.) David G. Baldwin

mdyde

Re: Lost stepper and other setting upgrading to 6-

PostSun Dec 20, 2020 10:32 am

Hello David,

Thanks for upgrading to v6.

David Baldwin wrote:My expectation was that when I upgraded from v5 to v6, all my settings would come as well.

Yes -- that's correct -- in itself, if simply upgrading an existing installation from v5 to v6 then yes -- all of your settings and combinations will be preserved.

David Baldwin wrote: I have then run the install routine selecting the custom option. This offered me the settings I actually wanted and I proceeded.

When you selected that 'Custom' option in the installer, did you actually change any of the installation locations? (Just for reference: there wasn't actually need to use the 'Custom' option, or to change anything, since the installer will automatically upgrade your existing installation by default, preserving all settings and combinations.)

David Baldwin wrote:When I them loaded my first organ it went through its compile process. It had no keyboard settings or any other settings I have previously made. I then tried restoring my backup which said the process was successful. When I loaded it, it compiled again and when I tried to play that organ, the keyboards were not again defined.

Probably the quickest option would be for you to use 'Help | Crate a diagnostic file' and send the resulting file to Francois at support [at] hauptwerk.com, along with the backup file that you tried to restore, and letting him know which of the four configurations (desktop short-cuts) you use. We should then be able to see from your Hauptwerk logs and installer logs whether and why any existing settings were not found. Thanks,
Best regards, Martin.
Hauptwerk software designer/developer, Milan Digital Audio.

mdyde

PostSun Dec 20, 2020 10:36 am

P.S. Also, if you use the mouse to click on the relevant stepper controls on the 'Registration' control panel, are your registrations still recalled as before?

I.e. do you mean that the problem is simply that your MIDI pistons/keyboards aren't currently triggering the relevant virtual controls?

Are your other non-MIDI settings still present, such as any organ 'favourite' assignments that you might have made?
Best regards, Martin.

David Baldwin

PostSun Dec 20, 2020 3:07 pm

Martin, I must apologise because the information I have provided is not true. I had forgotten that a few months earlier, my main drive had crashed and I had to rebuild this computer from scratch and I reinstalled all my organs. What I had forgotten is that I had not got around to do all the basic configuration such as manual allocation. In fact when I traced it all back, everything that I had done to the four oprgans I have been using has actually come across.
I am sorry I have wasted your time. I shall no get on with enjoying the facilities the new version offers and make plans for my machine upgrade
Sorry
(Dr.) David G. Baldwin

mdyde

PostMon Dec 21, 2020 4:05 am

Thanks, David. No problem at all -- you're very welcome. Glad to hear it turned out to have a simple explanation.
Best regards, Martin.

Return to Technical support