It is currently Sat Jan 16, 2021 10:43 pm

Can a user send me a single missing St Anne's sample? Please

Hauptwerk software technical support only. Please make sure you have read the manual, tutorials and FAQ pages before requesting support.
  • Author

SimonDundas

Can a user send me a single missing St Anne's sample? Please

PostTue Dec 29, 2020 10:17 am

Hi, I have just discovered my 2 year old paid for edition of Hauptwerk 4 has a non functional Great Diapason of the St Anne's Mosley organ due to a single missing sample (C#) - actually a 0mb file. Stupidly I have no backup of the original installer and this version is no longer available to reinstall! Disaster. Would some kind person save the day and send me a copy. The note I need is is on my pc as C:\Hauptwerk\HauptwerkSampleSetsAndComponents\OrganinstallationPackages\000010\StAnnesMosley-Great-OpenDiapasonLarge8\073-C#.hbw. Maybe it is missing for you as well. What is very odd is that till a couple of days ago the organ loaded fine and now it wont load unless I deactivate the stop on load. I haven't been anywhere near the Hauptwerk sample folders. I would be so grateful if someone can help. Thank you.

mnailor

Re: Can a user send me a single missing St Anne's sample? Pl

PostTue Dec 29, 2020 10:58 am

You may want to ask support@hauptwerk.com for a copy of the installer to repair it properly. I'd also scan your hard drives for errors.

SimonDundas

PostTue Dec 29, 2020 2:21 pm

Yes that was my first port of call but Hauptwerk support say they don't support Hauptwerk V4 anymore which is very sad as i only bought it less than 2 years ago. They say I'll have to use it without that stop which I think is very poor. My hard drive is working fine as far as I can see. I checked all the other samples and they are fine.. The C sharp is present on my c drive but size is 0mb. The first sign of trouble was when I tried to load St Anne's without the blower and other sound fx and it gave the error as the missing sample. When I added the noises back in it still failed to load the organ and will now only laod if I load without the 8' Diapson stop. It looks like my only hope is to get this one sample from another user. As a last resort I could duplicate the 'C' sample to get the whole stop to load but then playing the C sharp note would play a C. I was so thrilled to at last work out how to control the app with cubase then this happens. Any more ideas?

IainStinson

PostTue Dec 29, 2020 5:39 pm

You don’t say which diapason (large or small) has lost the sample.
If you have the Advanced version, which has voicing controls, you could try
Copy the C sample naming the copy as the c# file.
Load the organ with the adjusting rank option
Retune the C# diapason to the correct pitch using the voicing screen.

If you don’t have the advanced version, try substituting the C# from the other open by copying the file...it may be acceptable ...
Iain.

SimonDundas

PostWed Dec 30, 2020 7:38 am

HI Iain and thank you so much for your reply. It is the large Diapason Csharp (no 73) that is missing. I have the basic paid for edition not advanced so expect I can't retune. However I will try the C sharp from the small diapason which sounds like the best option until someoene can send me the real thing. Such a nuisance over a 1.3mb file! I am going to make a special copy of all Hauptwerk files in addition to my usual backup regime which didn't go back far enough in time and urge everyone using HP to do the same.

GrahamH

PostWed Dec 30, 2020 8:09 am

Simon

I have sent you a PM

Graham

Purator

PostWed Dec 30, 2020 8:42 am

SimonDundas wrote:Such a nuisance over a 1.3mb file!

Exactly. I can understand the general stance that HV4 is no longer supported and therefore no support is offered. However there is a huge difference between someone who has a unique and/or absurd problem with HW4 (something like "Whenever I play Bach's 565 backwards a little Demon crawls out of the organ, but only when I am using the 16' Diapason and the Mixture IV.") that will occupy the support team for days and a guy who lost one sample file. I would estimate that the time for just sending this file would have been not much longer than writing "too bad". However, this shows very well how MDA treats their customers.

On the other hand, I remember that time a local hosting provider spent almost a day digging through old backup hard disks because a customer accidentally deleted a large .htaccess-file.

mdyde

PostWed Dec 30, 2020 9:18 am

Hello Rico/Simon,

We do actually frequently try to provide brief help whenever we can reasonably easily do so to people on versions and platforms that aren't officially supported (as I think you'll find from a great many forum posts, and indeed previously with the v4 Free Edition). Of course we appreciate that not everybody can readily upgrade. However, I'm afraid we can't send the Hauptwerk v4 software (of which St. Anne's is a part), so that's a specific case in which we can't help -- very sorry.

I too would recommend trying Iain's suggestion to substitute 073-C#.hbw from another similar-sounding rank.
Best regards, Martin.
Hauptwerk software designer/developer, Milan Digital Audio.

Purator

PostWed Dec 30, 2020 9:40 am

Hello Martin,

thank you for your reply. I really appreciate your work and I do not want to attack you or Francois personally.
However, I'm afraid we can't send the Hauptwerk v4 software itself (of which St. Anne's is a part), so that's a specific case in which we can't help -- very sorry.

When I learnt English I was taught the word "can" has two meanings: "being able to do something" and "being allowed to do something". And juuuuust making a very wild guess here... I am quite sure the reason you can't send HW v4 is not that somehow every copy of the v4-installer you or MDA had vanished into thin air.

That being said, I made the New Year's resolution to only argue (and getting fussed about stuff) when I am getting paid for it.

I also kinda get the impression that you, Martin, might not be the right recipient for my venting about this, and I have written my stance already in this forum, so no need to repeat myself (see the New Year's resolution).

Kind Regards,
Rico

mdyde

PostWed Dec 30, 2020 9:53 am

Thanks, Rico.

Have a good New Year.
Best regards, Martin.
Hauptwerk software designer/developer, Milan Digital Audio.

SimonDundas

PostWed Dec 30, 2020 4:35 pm

Dear All. Thanks for all your help. This is a very useful forum. Special thanks to Graham for taking the trouble to locate and emailing me the pipe sample. To be fair to Hauptwerk support , they have generally responded very well to my queries and even over the christmas period I got replies the same or next day to a couple of queries. I'm planning on producing a video of my first tune using Hauptwerk with Cubase which may get other musicians interested in this wonderful software. Happy days. Thank you so much. Simon

mnailor

PostWed Dec 30, 2020 4:41 pm

Just a suggestion, but if you're willing to contribute your time to making a video of working with HW + Cubase as you mentioned, would it be worth waiting until you can update to the current HW 6+? Some of what you demonstrate would be obsolete immediately if done using HW 4, lessening its tutorial value.

SimonDundas

PostWed Dec 30, 2020 7:19 pm

I hear what you are saying but it is not intended to be a tutorial just a video of the organ with it's stops and keys moving a as the music progresses. I think for relative novices like me to cubase and who like church organs but are more used to creating other types of music it may act as a spark to get them to download at least the free version to have a try. I think it's amazing software. :)

dhm

PostThu Dec 31, 2020 11:29 am

it may act as a spark to get them to download at least the free version

There isn't a Free Edition any more.
Douglas Henn-Macrae
Authorized Hauptwerk Reseller
http://www.midi-organs.eu / http://www.gundulf.org.uk

SimonDundas

PostThu Dec 31, 2020 12:28 pm

That's a shame as folk like me for whom keys is not their main instrument may well want to test it before buying. Is there a free trial period as with a lot of software?
Next

Return to Technical support