It is currently Sun Jan 17, 2021 7:52 pm

ASIO Driver error - audio output buffers

Hauptwerk software technical support only. Please make sure you have read the manual, tutorials and FAQ pages before requesting support.
  • Author

jawhite1967

ASIO Driver error - audio output buffers

PostMon Jan 11, 2021 10:58 am

Hello - I'm a new owner of a VPO and Hauptwerk (v6). I'm getting the following error, and I'm not sure if it's a Hauptwerk issue, or the audio interface, so I'm hoping you can help me sort through this. What's weird is that I can get St. Anne to work, but then I load my other sample set and it gives me this error. Then St. Anne doesn't work without the error.

Here's the message:

"Could not create audio output buffers for ASIO driver 'ASIO:AudioBox ASIO Driver" with a buffer size of 1024 sample frames. Please try re-booting the computer. (Operating system message: ASE_HWMalfunction, code: 999 hex: FFFFFC19.) Message code for diagnostic purposes; 5148."

Steps to recreate:

Boot up, start Hauptwerk. St. Anne loads correctly and works.
Organ, Load Organ, CUICombined sample set. When it starts audio and MIDI, I get the above error.
Organ, Load Organ, St. Anne Moseley sample set. Now I get the error for this one too.

The Facebook Hauptwerk Users forum suggested changing the audio buffer size to 512. I did so, and the steps to recreate did the same thing - St. Anne would work, then CUICombined would not, and then St. Anne would not again, only the error message has 512 instead of 1024 in it.

This is a new computer system, running only Windows 10, and is dedicated only to the VPO. 32 GB of RAM.

Appreciate any advice and help you can give me.

Jeff

mdyde

Re: ASIO Driver error - audio output buffers

PostMon Jan 11, 2021 11:39 am

Hello Jeff,

Whilst I don't think we have previous experience with that specific ASIO driver, I suspect the problem will either be due to the driver misbehaving when/after switching sample rates or buffer sizes (e.g. perhaps because some other software, or Windows itself is also using the device at the same time at a different sample rate), or conceivably that the non-St. Anne's Anne's organ you're loading is over-filling the PC's RAM (unlikely, unless it's a very large sample set).

Please first:

- For good measure, make sure the latest version of the BIOS is installed for your motherboard. (Check on its manufacturer's website.)

- Make sure that all available Windows updates are installed.

- Make sure that the latest version of the driver for your audio interface is installed.

- Make sure that no other software is running (e.g. in the background, in the Windows System Tray) that's configured to use that audio interface for audio output. Also make sure that Windows itself isn't set to use that audio interface as its default audio output or input device.

- Reboot for good measure. As a test:

- Launch Hauptwerk.

- Load St. Anne's. Assuming no error:

- Open the 'General settings | General preferences' screen, then just cancel the screen. (Opening/closing either of the preference screens is one quick test that would result in audio/MIDI being stopped, then re-started.)

Do you get then error message?

If so, what sample rate do you have selected on the 'General settings | Audio device ...' screen? Does your audio driver's control panel show that the sample rate has changed successfully to that sample rate?
Best regards, Martin.
Hauptwerk software designer/developer, Milan Digital Audio.

jawhite1967

PostMon Jan 11, 2021 5:47 pm

I conferenced with Matt Arnold (who built the organ and computer for me) - we got through it - changed the port that the audio interface was using, and now I'm in business!

Thanks!
Jeff

StephenM

PostTue Jan 12, 2021 1:40 am

Jeff,
Glad the problem was solved.
Just a note because it appears you are new to HW. All of us were newbies once and these problems occur, often because we do something strange, embarrassing, foolish, forgetful or lazy.
HW is a fantastic program with hundreds of things to learn as you go.

Occasionally I have been without HW for several days, but everything gets sorted and solved.

Usually I end up with something better than before.

Njoy
Stephen
Last edited by StephenM on Tue Jan 12, 2021 8:24 am, edited 1 time in total.

mdyde

PostTue Jan 12, 2021 4:17 am

Thanks, Jeff. Excellent. Thanks, Stephen, too.
Best regards, Martin.
Hauptwerk software designer/developer, Milan Digital Audio.

Return to Technical support