It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 5:18 am

Route Perspective to multiple speakers WITHOUT Algorithm?

Hauptwerk software technical support only. Please make sure you have read the manual, tutorials and FAQ pages before requesting support.
  • Author

MPiercey

Route Perspective to multiple speakers WITHOUT Algorithm?

PostThu Feb 18, 2021 10:51 pm

Hi, I'm trying to route one of the perspectives to multiple speakers without having the Perspectives sound move from one speaker to another (ie. No Bus Allocation Algorithm). My idea is to have the direct pipes rotate between different speakers (which I can do), but I would like the Perspectives sound (the Reverb) to come from 8 set speakers at the same time and without the sound rotating/moving from one speaker to another.

If there was a 'No Routing' or 'Fixed' option in the Bus Allocation Algorithm dropbox, that should do it, but there is no such option. I know I could do this by hard-wireing the Perspective speakers, but I would prefer to do it within HW. Does anyone know if this is possible, and if so, how?

Thanks,
Mel.

IainStinson

Re: Route Perspective to multiple speakers WITHOUT Algorithm

PostFri Feb 19, 2021 5:23 am

You could try the following.
1.Assign the speakers you wish to receive the same sound to a master mixer bus (one per stereo pair).
2.Set up a mixer bus group to be used by the perspective for which you want the same sound to go to each speaker.
3.Route this group to send only to an intermediate mixer bus.
4.Set this intermediate bus to send its output to each of the master mixer buses to which you attached the speakers in 1.
5. Assign the output from the perspective to the mixer bus group you set up (in2). Check that the output is only assigned to that output group.

When HW is allocating pipe output for this perspective it will find only one output bus in the group (the intermediate bus) and so will not use an algorithm to spread the sound across the group outputs (as there is only one). The intermediate bus will send the sound it receives on to the master mixer buses that are configured to receive the sound, these in turn send the sound to the speakers.

I think this should work (but I've not tried this particular configuration).

You could include one output pair directly from the intermediate bus (to save on master mixer buses). You could add IR at on the Intermediate bus if you needed to do that.

iain

mdyde

PostFri Feb 19, 2021 6:40 am

Hello Mel,

As a variation on Iain's suggestion (thanks as always, Iain), you could:

On the 'General settings | Audio mixer bus groups' screen:
- Set up a group dedicated to your 'reverb' perspective (or whatever you want to call it).
- Put just one primary bus in that 'reverb' group.

On the 'Organ settings | Rank routing' screen (and/or the voicing screen, if routing that way instead):
- Route the relevant pipes/perspectives to your'reverb' group.

On the 'General settings | Audio mixer' screen:
- Give your 'reverb' primary mix bus (the one that's in your 'reverb' group) a meaningful name.
- Don't select any audio device channels for that primary bus.
- Also for that primary bus, enable the 'Sends to: intermediate mix buses' options for intermediate mix buses 1, 2, 3, and 4 (assuming you want your eight reverb speakers to behave as four simultaneous stereo pairs).
- Now select your relevant audio device channels for your four pairs of reverb speakers for intermediate mix buses 1, 2, 3 and 4 respectively.

Then whenever those 'reverb' pipes/perspectives sound they will all play through the single 'reverb' group, and thus through its single 'reverb' primary bus. You won't hear sound *directly* from that bus, since no device channels are selected from it, but you will hear the sound indirectly through all four of intermediate mix buses 1, 2, 3 and 4 simultaneously, via the speaker pairs that you've selected for those intermediate mix buses.

In summary, that's very similar to Iain's approach, except that it avoids the need to use the master mix buses at all (leaving them free for other purposes, if needed).
Best regards, Martin.
Hauptwerk software designer/developer, Milan Digital Audio.

MPiercey

PostFri Feb 19, 2021 8:37 pm

Thanks Ian and Martin. I'll try this out this weekend.

StephenM

PostFri Mar 12, 2021 12:08 am

Iain and Martin,

I start with a confession. I find any explanation about how to set up multi-channel audio in HW5/6 that talks about buses to be confusing. I just can't understand what a bus is, apart from the obvious public transport vehicle.

When I started with HW5 I tried to follow every setup instructions I could find and got lost as soon as they started telling me what to do with a bus.

I have just reinstalled Piotr Gabowski's wonderful 2 channel Lipiny. T his is a beautiful organ and well worth the price!!

The organ is stereo .... just 2 channels.

What I want to do is send the stereo channels to 3 pairs of stereo speakers, and to be able to independently set up IR reverb. (A fourth stereo channel is always used for noises and bangs.)

This is what I do. Tell me if it's OK.

1. Rank routing ... send all ranks to Front 1.
2. Rank voicing. Select all ranks in the top box. Go to Perspective mix: source persp to output persp 1,2,3 and 4. For each(1,2,3 and 4) slide the MSTR control to the TOP.
3. In Mixer/Reverb. Set up as usual as if you have 3 channels. Assign IR reverb to whatever channels you want.

Is this OK?
All done without getting on a bus!!!!

Stephen

mdyde

PostFri Mar 12, 2021 4:26 am

Hello Stephen,

If the way you've set it up gives the result you want, then yes -- that's absolutely fine in principle. (You didn't mention some other that things that would be relevant to whether it actually would work or not, such as which mixer buses you're applied the reverbs to, and to which mixer buses your audio device channels are connected, and whether the reset of Hauptwerk's audio routing settings are at their Hauptwerk v5+ defaults, but if it works then presumably that's all set appropriately, so that's fine.)

Here's Wikipedia's description of what an audio bus is:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Audio_bus
Best regards, Martin.
Hauptwerk software designer/developer, Milan Digital Audio.

Return to Technical support