It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 1:34 am

Saving Triggers

Hauptwerk software technical support only. Please make sure you have read the manual, tutorials and FAQ pages before requesting support.
  • Author

Classic49

Saving Triggers

PostWed Feb 24, 2021 5:00 am

I am in the process of transferring HW5 to a new laptop. On the old PC, I had set up all the stops for the Hereford Organ to use specific channels and CCs. I had assumed that this information would have been saved in the configuration file but this does not seem to be the case. I still have the old system - is there a way to copy over these settings?

IainStinson

Re: Saving Triggers

PostWed Feb 24, 2021 5:37 am

I would take a HW backup on the old computer to preserve all settings.
Install HW on the new machine, restore the backup and reinstall the sample sets you use.
This should retain all your settings for the new installation.
Iain

mdyde

PostWed Feb 24, 2021 5:52 am

Hello Classic49,

[Topic moved here.]

For transferring all of your MIDI settings (and other settings and data, such as combinations) from one computer to another please see the instructions in the 'Backing up and restoring your settings and data: Moving your settings to a new/different computer or restoring them to your existing computer' section in the main Hauptwerk user guide (pages 32-33 in the current v6.0.2 version: https://www.hauptwerk.com/documentation/ ).

However, be aware that in Hauptwerk v4/v5 MIDI settings were stored relative to the MIDI port names that they related to, and that if you use different MIDI interfaces/ports on your new computer, or if on your new computer the operating system/drivers present different MIDI port names for your existing MIDI interfaces (which commonly happens), then your previous MIDI settings for those ports would no longer work, and you would potentially need to be auto-detect/reconfigure the MIDI settings for them for all applicable virtual controls for all of your organs again.

Hauptwerk v6 handles MIDI ports differently in order to address that, whereby MIDI settings are stored relative to virtual/aliased MIDI ports (e.g. 'Console MIDI IN 1') instead of MIDI ports' device names, so that in v6 you simply need to change which column is ticked for the relevant row on the MIDI ports screen in that situation. That's covered in more detail in the list of v6.0.0 changes in the release notice ( https://www.hauptwerk.com/documentation/ ) and in the 'General settings menu: MIDI ports' section in the main Hauptwerk user guide (page 160 in the v6.0.2 version).

I would recommend:

- Upgrade your old PC to Hauptwerk v6.0.2. (If you currently have perpetual licence for the v5 Advanced Edition then you would need to buy this upgrade and apply activate the resulting v6 licence in iLok License Manager: https://www.hauptwerk.com/upgrade-advan ... perpetual/ , then download and install v6.0.2 itself.)

- On your old PC, in Hauptwerk v6, specify meaningful 'user aliases' for any 'Console MIDI IN/OUT' rows that are currently ticked on the 'General settings | MIDI ports' two screen tabs, according to what MIDI hardware is currently connected to them.

- Use 'File | Backup ...' on your old PC, then exit Hauptwerk.

- Install v6.0.2 on your new laptop, as well as iLok License Manager and any needed audio/MIDI interface drivers. Sign into iLok License Manager and connect your iLok dongle (or open your iLok Cloud session, whichever is applicable).

- Connect/move your audio/MIDI interfaces to your new laptop.

- Launch Hauptwerk. Just acknowledge/dismiss any wizards/prompts.

- Use 'File | Restore ...' to restore the backup that you had made from your old PC.

- Re-launch Hauptwerk.

- On the 'General settings | MIDI ports' screen make sure that your laptop's intended MIDI ports (columns) are (still) ticked in the appropriate 'Console MIDI IN/OUT' rows that your old PC was using (the rows for which you would have specified meaningful aliases above, so as to help identify them more easily).

- Re-install your organs.

You should then find that your previous MIDI settings work properly on your new laptop.

[Edit: P.S. I see Iain and I replied at the same time -- thanks, Iain.]
Best regards, Martin.
Hauptwerk software designer/developer, Milan Digital Audio.

Classic49

PostWed Feb 24, 2021 6:00 am

Thanks Martin. When I have saved the £99 to upgrade, I will work through your suggestion.

mdyde

PostWed Feb 24, 2021 6:26 am

Thanks very much, Classic49.
Best regards, Martin.

Theorbe

PostFri Feb 26, 2021 3:53 pm

Deleted by author.
Last edited by Theorbe on Sat Jan 13, 2024 6:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

mdyde

PostFri Feb 26, 2021 4:08 pm

Hello Andy,

To be clear, a person doesn't have to upgrade to v6 -- one could still move settings from one computer to another in v5 and earlier (via the backup/restore mechanism). It will certainly work for non-MIDI settings (and combinations, etc.), and it *might* work for MIDI settings, but there's a significant chance that the operating system/driver will report different names for the MIDI devices on a different system, in which case in v5 and earlier one would have needed to auto-detect all MIDI settings again (or changed the per-virtual-control MIDI port settings by hand, which is possible but potentially very fiddly and time-consuming).

v6 has dedicated functionality to make it easy to migrate MIDI ports, so the process is potentially much simpler and quicker with v6. If one were planning to upgrade to v6 anyway, then doing it before attempting a migration between computers would make sense.
Best regards, Martin.

Theorbe

PostFri Feb 26, 2021 6:41 pm

Deleted by author.
Last edited by Theorbe on Sat Jan 13, 2024 6:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

randallschmid

PostSat Feb 27, 2021 6:16 am

Andy,

I'm curious how your midi port naming and routing works. Are you saying:

1. Multiple keyboards/controllers are connected to a USB hub connected to a Windows computer.
2. The controllers are identified in RtpMIDI, which creates one output port which for this question I will call RTPport.
3. HW is running on your Windows machine. There is one input midi port enabled in HW - RTPport.
4. MAC is running Logic. There is one input midi port enabled in Logic - RTPport, You record a midi sequence.
5.. When Logic plays the midi sequence, the midi data is sent through RTPport to the HW computer where it is played.

Do you record HW's audio in Logic? If so, how?

Thanks for any corrections/clarification.

-Randy

Theorbe

PostSat Feb 27, 2021 4:29 pm

Deleted by author.
Last edited by Theorbe on Sat Jan 13, 2024 6:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Classic49

PostSun Mar 07, 2021 8:06 am

Hi Martin

I have followed your advice and both old and new devices are at v6.0.2. The MIDI triggers are still present on the old system but are not being carried forward to the new system, nor the aliases. It would appear that this information is not saved in the settings that are backed up. Is there a file I can transfer over which will include this information?

Regards

Simon

mdyde

PostSun Mar 07, 2021 8:19 am

Hello Simon,

*All* MIDI settings (ticked MIDI ports, MIDI aliases, all virtual controls that you've auto-detected, etc.) are always included in every backup, and will be carried over by default when restoring a backup.

To confirm, did you definitely give your 'Console MIDI IN' rows aliases on your old system, *before* making the backup?

If so, on your new system, and making sure that you're running the same one of the four Hauptwerk configurations [desktop short-cuts, e.g. 'Hauptwerk' or 'Hauptwerk (alt config 1/2/3)'] that you were using on your old system (MIDI settings are independent between the four configurations), please try restoring that backup again, leaving all options at their defaults in the backup-restore wizard.

Once that backup has been restored and Hauptwerk has exited, please then re-launch it (again making sure you launch the same Hauptwerk configuration).

Now go to the MIDI ports screen. You should see the 'Console MIDI IN' row aliases that you specified on your old computer. Do you?
Best regards, Martin.

Classic49

PostSun Mar 07, 2021 11:19 am

Hi Martin

Sorted. On the old system I had a shortcut "Hauptwerk - Hereford" which was in fact a copy of alt config 1 whereas, on the new system, I was using the main Hauptwerk shortcut.

Many thanks
Simon

mdyde

PostSun Mar 07, 2021 11:59 am

Thanks very much, Simon. Excellent.
Best regards, Martin.

Return to Technical support