It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 3:38 am

Newbie help Launchpad mini

Hauptwerk software technical support only. Please make sure you have read the manual, tutorials and FAQ pages before requesting support.
  • Author

lemmeling

Newbie help Launchpad mini

PostSun Feb 28, 2021 7:27 am

Hello everyone,

Sorry for these questions but I'm a newbie concerning midi.
I just bought a launchpad mini for more flexible control of some Hauptwerk features but I'm experiencing three problems:

1. In the midi configuration menu (where there is the list of midi-ports) I see 2 new devices....instead of one

One is called: LPMiniMK3 midi and the other Midiin2 (LPMiniMK3 midi)... How is this possible? Which one should I check?
I have them currently both checked, one as console midi 2 the other as console midi 3 and on both tabs, midi in and midi out ... is this correct?

2. The launchpad comes with the white buttons in the middle and the "black buttons" on top and on the side. However, I am not able to get those black ones to work. The green light in Hauptwerk doesn't light up when I press e.g. the > buttons on the right side, or on top, or the ^ button or the one next to it that points down.

3. If I right click and select a button (depending on what I configured in the midi-port screen, it be only LPMiniMK3 midi or Midiin2 (LPMiniMK3 midi) the lower part of the screen that let's me select a colour is greyed out....

Please, can anyone help me a bit? Did I do something wrong that I see two new midi devices instead of one? And how come not all the buttons can be used?

Ps: if these are stupid questions, my apologies, but again, never used a launchpad, nor have a lot of knowledge about midi.

Thx,
Laurens

engrssc

Re: Newbie help Launchpad mini

PostSun Feb 28, 2021 7:57 am

For one thing you do not need or want the software (drivers) from Novation when the L/P is used with Hauptwerk.

Rgds,
Ed

lemmeling

PostSun Feb 28, 2021 8:00 am

Hi,

I did not install any drivers.
Just put the usb connector in the pc.
Seemed to find the driver automatically (I am not connectef to the internet).
No conlicts in Windows Device Manager.
Cheers,

Laurens

JmG

PostSun Feb 28, 2021 9:15 am

Hello, I'm too using Launchpad mini MK3. I just use the white buttons, the others don't work with Hauptwerk for now just the "User" button for "reseting" the lights. As Launchpad MK2 is now impossible to buy "new" it will be very useful Hauptwerk can use the mini mK3. For me the MK2 is too big. I have in mind using a Arduino for some kind of translation between MK2 and Mini MK3 but for now it is just a idea !

mdyde

PostSun Feb 28, 2021 10:01 am

Hello Laurens,

To add to others' replies:

I can't guarantee that Hauptwerk is compatible with the Launchpad Mini Mk3, since it isn't a model that we've tested with or officially support currently ( viewtopic.php?f=4&t=19165#p143955 ). (We do have an enhancement request logged for potentially adding full native support for the 'mk3' models and the Launchpad Mini Mk3.)

However, I see from other topics (and JmG's reply) that the Launchpad Mini Mk3 does work at least to some extent with Hauptwerk.

I'd recommend:

- First check via 'Help | About Hauptwerk' you're using Hauptwerk v6.0.2 (since v6.0.2 had a relevant change to recognise 'LPMini' within a MIDI port name as representing a Launchpad). If needed, for obtaining v6.0.2 see: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=19521

- I don't know for certain which of the two MIDI port names you mentioned ['LPMiniMK3 midi' and 'Midiin2 (LPMiniMK3 midi)'] is the right one to use, but my guess would be 'LPMiniMK3 midi'. On the 'General settings | MIDI ports' screen, try making sure that the ['LPMiniMK3 midi' entry is ticked in one of the 'Console MIDI ...' rows on *both* the 'MIDI IN ports' screen tab *and* the 'MIDI OUT ports' screen tab. Untick the 'Midiin2 (LPMiniMK3 midi)' entries on both of the screen tabs.

- Load St. Anne's and try auto-detecting virtual stops to some of the main/white Launchpad buttons. During auto-detection, if the MIDI ports are configured correctly, and if Hauptwerk is compatible with the button's MIDI implementation, then you should be shown the option to pick the colour for the button's lamp.

If it doesn't work, try unticking both (input and output) entries for 'LPMiniMK3 midi', and instead tick both (input and output) entries for 'Midiin2 (LPMiniMK3 midi)', to see whether that port works any better when auto-detecting. (Don't have both of those two different port names enabled at once, though.)
Best regards, Martin.
Hauptwerk software designer/developer, Milan Digital Audio.

lemmeling

PostSun Feb 28, 2021 10:42 am

Hi Martin,

Thanks for your reply. I've been looking around some technical manuals of the Launchpad in the meantime.

Ok, sofar I found out which of the "two" devices in the midiport list work for me. See more below...

Of course I am using the latest HW6 version. :-)

After some trial and error I have been able to get all keys on the Launchpad to communicate with HW and not only the white ones. I will explain below how.

But it involves some manual work on the launchpad the first time BEFORE you start configuring the buttons in HW.

Each time the launchpad is disconnected from the usb or the pc will be completely without electricity the Launchpad will forget it's mode and you have to select the right mode before launching HW.

If the power stays on the pc and the launchpad keeps inside the usb, the launchpad remembers it's status.

The launchpad has two modes.... live mode (by default) and programmer mode.

How did I get into this special mode...(programmer mode)

1. Connect the launchpad mini mk 3 to the usb
2. Push and hold the SESSION button until you see LED written on the buttons
3. Push the bottom right button called STOP SOLO MUTE. The launchpad will scroll a text PROGRAMMER. This is the programmer mode (as opposite to the LIVE mode)
4. Press the SESSION button again. All lights should be off.
5. Start HW
6. From the "2" new midi devices under midiports I select the one with the name: MIDIIN2 (LPMiniMK3 MIDI) and I checked this device both in midi in and out as Console midi 2 in my case.
7. Now press ANY button on the pad and you will see the green light blicking and as soon as you have added an out command also the red light.
8. All the configuration you do from now on will be remembered by the launchpad for as long as it has power. If it looses power, due to disconnection the device from the usb port or switching of all electricity to the pc, next time you activate the pad, repeat steps 1 to 5.

Sorry for my bad way of explaining this in English.

Cheers,

Laurens

However, once

mdyde

PostSun Feb 28, 2021 10:48 am

Hello Laurens,

Excellent -- glad to hear you managed to get it working, and thanks for the information, which I'm sure other Launchpad Mini users will find useful too.
Best regards, Martin.
Hauptwerk software designer/developer, Milan Digital Audio.

engrssc

PostSun Feb 28, 2021 11:43 am

lemmeling wrote:Sorry for my bad way of explaining this in English.

Your command of English and clear explanation is excellent, Laurens. Thanks for doing the research.

Rgds,
Edh

JmG

PostSun Feb 28, 2021 1:34 pm

Thank you for this explanation and for the new facilities. I dream of finding a way for a script for the steps 1 to 4 !

IainStinson

PostSun Feb 28, 2021 3:40 pm

The programming manual gives a midi command you can send to the device to change it from Live mode to programmer mode. You just need a simple utility or program to send this to the device before starting Hauptwerk.

If you want to translate the commands from Hauptwerk look at the Bome Midi translator https://www.bome.com/products/miditranslator. It could also send the mode switch string. There is a free version which would probably surfice.

Iain

lemmeling

PostSun Feb 28, 2021 4:39 pm

Hi Ian,

This is what the manual says for activating Programmer mode:

Programmer / Live mode switch There is a dedicated SysEx message for Programmer / Live mode select:

Host => Launchpad Mini [MK3]:

Hex: F0h 00h 20h 29h 02h 0Dh 0Eh <mode> F7h Dec: 240 0 32 41 2 13 14 <mode> 247

Where <mode> is 0 for Live mode, 1 for Programmer mode

However I don't understand what you mean with translating this and using some other program before HW.

Cheers,

Laurens

IainStinson

PostSun Feb 28, 2021 5:21 pm

When you power on the system the launchpad mini mk3 is in the live mode. Your manual procedure sets it into programmer mode. If after powering on but before running HW, you sent the midi commands you found in the manual to the mini mk3, this would switch the device into programmer mode. So if before you execute HW, You run a program which sent this midi sequence to the mini mk3, HW would find the device in programmer mode (just as if you had followed your manual procedure.)

You need a program to send the midi command to the device before Hauptwerk runs.

In the thread JmG says he is looking into translating the midi sequence between HW and the mini mk3 so that the existing HW support can be translated into the appropriate sequence for the mini mk3. JmG mentions using a micro computer to do this, I suggested using a program, the Bome translator to do this.

I hope this is clearer.

Iain

fchazz

PostSat Mar 27, 2021 8:46 am

Does anyone have an update on this?
Like an automatic script or something?

jefp

PostThu Apr 29, 2021 3:36 am

I have a new Launchpad X since one week. This launchpad (LPX) is part of the MK3-generation. The LPX is on a powered usb-hub with a on/off swith. So I first start the pc, then the LPX when I need it. When LPX is ready I hit the shortcut to start Hauptwerk.

After some research I launch Hauptwerk (6.02) by means of a batchfile like this. The batchfile is launched by a desktop-shortcut as administrator. Hauptwerk is also launched as administrator.

CD C:\ORGEL
SENDMIDI DEV "MIDIOUT2 (LPX MIDI)" HEX SYX 00 20 29 02 0C 0E 01
SENDMIDI DEV "MIDIOUT2 (LPX MIDI)" HEX SYX 00 20 29 02 0C 04 03 0C
start "" /Realtime "C:\Program Files\Hauptwerk Virtual Pipe Organ\Hauptwerk.exe"

- SENDMIDI is a tool to send sysex midi-messages to the LPX. Sendmidi is a free tool (https://github.com/gbevin/SendMIDI). I have a copy of sendmidi.exe in c:\orgel.
- The first sysex puts LPX in program-mode (p.7-8 in the programmer's ref). The pads on the 8x8 send midi-note, The black top and right row send CC and are also available to send commands to Hautpwerk.
- The second sysex sets LPX velocity to a fixed value (p. 25-26). At the end of the sysex 03 stands for 'fixed velocity'. 0C is the value of the velocity wich at the same time is the value of the color. I prefer this soft color, but this could be any value of the color-tabel (p.12). By this sysex-command we prevent LPX from changing color wit every press of a pad.This way the pad lights up in this color when pressed on LPX, in soft orange when the corresponding function is activated by Hauptwerk or an other midi-controler (I use Behringer FCB for instance for generals).
- The last command starts Hauptwerk in processor-realtime-mode. Nothing to do with LPX.

Hope it helps. It does the trick for me.

lemmeling

PostThu Apr 29, 2021 9:08 am

Hi,

I tried your solution.
I downloaded the .exe, put it in a "Orgel" folder on the C...
My Launchpad mini didn't do anything.

Then I tried this (I changed the code after sysx to the code that I found in my documentation of the launchpad mini, see higher up in this topic)

CD C:\ORGEL
SENDMIDI DEV "MIDIOUT2 (LPMiniMK3 MIDI)" HEX SYX F0h 00h 20h 29h 02h 0Dh 0Eh 01 F7h

Nothing as well....

I must be doing something wrong.... but what.

Cheers,

Laurens
Next

Return to Technical support