It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 4:10 pm

Is a backup drive dependant?

Hauptwerk software technical support only. Please make sure you have read the manual, tutorials and FAQ pages before requesting support.
  • Author

David Baldwin

Is a backup drive dependant?

PostSun Apr 04, 2021 1:27 pm

I am just about to transfer Hw6 to a new Pc. If I have read the manual correctly, a backup from my old machine will update my new machine even if the device locations have changed. Is that correct?
(Dr.) David G. Baldwin

mdyde

Re: Is a backup drive dependant?

PostSun Apr 04, 2021 1:37 pm

Hello David,

You can indeed use Hauptwerk's backup/restore mechanism to transfer all of your settings/combinations/voicing/etc. from one computer to another, even if you install Hauptwerk into different locations on the new machine (which makes no difference).

With regard to transferring MIDI settings, in case your new computer has differently-named MIDI devices/ports, see this post:

viewtopic.php?f=4&t=19635&p=147313#p147313

mdyde wrote:I would recommend:

- On your existing v6.0.2 installation, in Hauptwerk, specify meaningful 'user aliases' for any 'Console MIDI IN/OUT' rows that are currently ticked on the 'General settings | MIDI ports' two screen tabs, according to what MIDI hardware is currently connected to them. That will allow you to transfer your existing MIDI settings easily.

- Use 'File | Backup ...', then exit Hauptwerk.

- Install v6.0.2 on your new [computer], as well as iLok License Manager and any needed audio/MIDI interface drivers. Sign into iLok License Manager and connect your iLok dongle (or open your iLok Cloud session within iLok License Manager, whichever is applicable). (There's only one version of the Hauptwerk v6.0.2 installer, so if you already have it downloaded then you can just use that -- no need to download it again. Also, your licences aren't computer-specific, so you don't need to re-enter any activation codes or activate any licences.)

- Launch Hauptwerk. Just acknowledge/dismiss any wizards/prompts.

- Use 'File | Restore ...' to restore the backup that you had made from your old PC.

- Re-launch Hauptwerk.

- On the 'General settings | MIDI ports' screen make sure that your computer's intended MIDI ports (columns) are (still) ticked in the appropriate 'Console MIDI IN/OUT' rows that your old installation was using (the rows for which you would have specified meaningful aliases above, so as to help identify them more easily).

- Re-install your organs.

You should then find that your previous MIDI settings work properly on your new [computer].
Best regards, Martin.
Hauptwerk software designer/developer, Milan Digital Audio.

David Baldwin

PostMon Apr 05, 2021 2:37 am

Thanks. I will report if I manage it to complete my question.
(Dr.) David G. Baldwin

mdyde

PostMon Apr 05, 2021 3:47 am

Thanks, David.
Best regards, Martin.
Hauptwerk software designer/developer, Milan Digital Audio.

Return to Technical support