It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 9:21 am

Possibility to operate Swell Pedal via "buttons"?

Hauptwerk software technical support only. Please make sure you have read the manual, tutorials and FAQ pages before requesting support.
  • Author

lemmeling

Possibility to operate Swell Pedal via "buttons"?

PostTue Nov 16, 2021 1:07 pm

Hi Martin (and all the rest of the HW community),

Little question.
My organ at home is a full midi-console. I operate the swell pedals via ... well swell pedals :-)
But in a church where I sometimes play and connect my HW to an existing Johannus console, the swell pedals of that Johannus console do not give any midi-out signal so I cannot use those to use my swell pedals in HW.

Now I have a Launchpad Mini Mk 3. I was wondering if it were possible so somehow assign two buttons of that Launchpad to say + or - the stand of the swell-pedal, so that a helper next to me e.g. could push those buttons while I am playing to lower of highten the swell-pedal in HW.

Sofar I tried by auto-detect but the buttons of the Launchpad don't register.
Is there some trick to have this done?

Ps: The launchpad itself works fine with Hauptwerk for all other functions I use it for :-)

Thanks - as always - for your insights.

Cheers from Belgium

Laurens

mdyde

Re: Possibility to operate Swell Pedal via "buttons"?

PostTue Nov 16, 2021 1:19 pm

Hello Laurens,

There's no way natively within Hauptwerk to control virtual swell pedals from buttons/pistons, I'm afraid.
Best regards, Martin.
Hauptwerk software designer/developer, Milan Digital Audio.

mnailor

PostTue Nov 16, 2021 1:23 pm

There are a few MIDI pad controllers that have sliders, which should in theory autodetect as continuous controllers for virtual expression pedals. Not much more inconvenient than buttons, I would think.

lemmeling

PostTue Nov 16, 2021 1:30 pm

Thanks y'all for the comments.
Maybe I test another midi-pad with sliders :-)

Cheers,

Laurens

Organorak

PostTue Nov 16, 2021 2:21 pm

I had the same problem once with a Johannus that I need to play a Haupwerk sample set for a major service once, at short notice as an emergency so can sympathise (the organ had blown a fuse earlier in the day and only MIDI out worked. I installed HW on a spare laptop and was up and running in minutes...) Few other ideas:

1. If your sample set has a virtual console with a swell pedal will it move if you try to swivel it in Hauptwerk using your touchscreen, and will the stops be too small to action if you try that view in Hauptwerk?

2. Could you rig up a MIDI to USB board with a continuous input such as a circular dial switch and physically rig it up to the Johannus swell pedal if you are going to be playing there often?

3. Touchscreen with MIDI virtual controls - maybe using a MIDI interface like j-organ to adjust the continuous input?

4. MIDI pad with slider sounds the easiest way forward - though good luck playing and using the Swell "pedal" at the same time!.

5. Could you get a USB, wireless or MIDI enabled standalone expression pedal and put it in a convenient location (maybe on a box at one end of the pedalboard so your foot can reach it and it's stable, or even stop the existing swellpedal from moving then tie it to the organ's swell pedal)? As a starter for ten I found something called a Boss EV-1-WL Wireless Expression Pedal for around £150 which is a standalone footpedal. Can't vouch for it working with Hauptwerk but can't see why it couldn't be made to either. Might be worth looking into that or any comparable devices.

organsRgreat

PostWed Nov 17, 2021 6:54 am

I use an Akai APC Mini, which has nine sliders; these can easily be auto-detected by Hauptwerk to control swell pedals.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/AKAI-Professio ... 4286152639

There are also 84 buttons, which I use to control pistons, since my keyboards don’t have any. Because the sliders have short travel they are tricky to position exactly, but the device does offer a lot of functionality for the price. Akai make quite a range of controllers, which are worth investigating.

Return to Technical support