It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 4:24 pm

Struggling with 4.2 to 7 upgrade on Mac OS

Hauptwerk software technical support only. Please make sure you have read the manual, tutorials and FAQ pages before requesting support.
  • Author

John_Abson

Struggling with 4.2 to 7 upgrade on Mac OS

PostFri Sep 30, 2022 11:50 am

I’ve run into issues with upgrading from HW v4.2 to HW v7 on my 2012 my Mac Mini, almost certainly of my own making while fumble-fingered blundering around during the upgrade process and failing to RTFM.

I’ve got to a point where the upgrade installer seems to work and finish its task, but I see no way of starting Hauptwerk. I suspect something is wrong with the folder structure and where the upgrade has put things, due to my blunderings.

The backstory to this tale of woe is that with 4.2, the machine was running on El Capitan OS v10.11.6. The first thing I did was to try and download the iLok dongle manager, but in doing so realized that the OS needed to be updated which I did to Catalina OS v 10.15.7 (the latest my late 2012 my Mac Mini will handle).

At this point I’d better point out that (a) that I use my VPO for unit organ samples so the upgraded 16GB RAM should be more than sufficient aiui, and (b) I’m aware from reading on this forum that the file structure permissions in Mac OS changed between El Capitan and Catalina, which involved a migration of the HW folders.

Anyway, the iLok dongle manager app now seems to work, but the upgrade doesn’t. Probably mistakenly (no, certainly!!) I manually deleted the 4.2 installation as the HW uninstaller didn’t work for me (yes, I have several backups of my precious voicing adjustment and pistons on separate media). I suspect in all of this that the upgrade process has gone awry and I need start afresh, as it were. It’s not enough to reinstall HW v4.2 as it isn’t compatible with Mac OS 10.15…

Is there any way to recover the upgrade process for HW v7 that anyone can advise? Meanwhile it seems like a certain F Kafka is my new best friend!

With many thanks-in-advance to anyone who can assist.

John
Langford, Beds. UK.

larason2

Re: Struggling with 4.2 to 7 upgrade on Mac OS

PostFri Sep 30, 2022 12:21 pm

I'm sure others will have more complete information than I, however I've gone through this process as well. It's complicated, I'm sure it's not your blunderings!

The first step (as you have done) is to install the most recent version of the iLok manager (which you appear to have done). If you don't have a license for Hauptwerk there yet, that's ok.

Next, MDA recommends deleting all of your existing Hauptwerk installations and files, and installing fresh, and I do too. That doesn't mean you have to delete your saved configurations though - put them in a safe place, delete everything else you have, including sample set data (though keep the original installation files!) and install Hauptwerk 7 from scratch. If you don't, you will constantly run into permissions issues (which I had constantly when I was back on Catalina, and even still do from time to time now on Monterey), which are very annoying. When you install, don't change any of the installation options - let the installer do its thing. If not, it may install Hauptwerk in a place the OS doesn't like, which can break your installation.

If iLok Manager is working, and Hauptwerk 7 was installed properly, it should run. It should appear in your "Applications" folder. If it appeared in applications but doesn't load, open iLok Manager and check to see if you have the license there. If you don't, contact MDA about what happened. There were many ways to get the license there, and sometimes it didn't work out. One possibility is that you have to manually put the license there using the installation number on your Hauptwerk account on the website.

Once that is all done, and Hauptwerk opens, then you need to inactivate your dongle, and transfer your licenses from Hauptwerk 4.2 to 7 (if you have any). Another thing you need to do is download the licensing file from Hauptwerk's web site, and install it (otherwise a lot of your sample sets won't work).

Once that is all done, then you need to install all your sample sets from scratch. Once that is done, then also restore your most recent configuration backup (which you saved). If you have any troubles with these, let us know!

mdyde

PostFri Sep 30, 2022 12:23 pm

Hello John,

Thanks very much for buying the upgrade.

The key thing is that, for a Mac that had v4 on it, you need to do this step (from the upgrading instructions section in the main user guide -- page 26 in the current v7.0 version) before current/recent Hauptwerk installers can work properly:

Step 6. Very important: If upgrading from a pre-5 Hauptwerk version, use Finder to make sure that all of the following folders are completely deleted, if they exist (you may be prompted for your password):
1. /Applications/Hauptwerk Virtual Pipe Organ
2. /Users/Shared/Relocated Items/Hauptwerk
3. /Hauptwerk
(The latter folder is at the very top-level of your computer's SSD/hard-drive. In order to be able to find it, make sure that the Sidebar | Devices | Hard disks option is ticked in Finder's preferences.)

Make absolutely certain that all three of those folders are deleted, if they exist. (To be able to get to 2 and 3 on that list you need to browse in Finder from the *root* of the drive, which necessitates having the Finder preference ticked above.)

Then make sure that downloaded v7 installer has the correct file size and checksum:

viewtopic.php?f=4&t=20307&p=152596#p152596

(Download a new copy if not.)

Then try re-running the installer. Once done the installation wizard should indicate that it has finished successfully.

Does that solve it?

[Edit: P.S. I see that larason2 and I replied at the same time.]
Best regards, Martin.
Hauptwerk software designer/developer, Milan Digital Audio.

John_Abson

PostFri Sep 30, 2022 12:43 pm

Dear Martin and larason2,

Many thanks for a quick reply. Your answers seem to point in the direction I was suspecting.

When I get a moment - later this evening? - I'll combine your recommendations and see how it goes.

Again, many thanks,

John.

mdyde

PostFri Sep 30, 2022 2:05 pm

Thanks, John. You're very welcome.

P.S. If there are any Hauptwerk icons already on your desktop or in the Dock, try deleting those first too, in case file permissions on them are preventing the v7 installer from overwriting them.

The v7 installer will try to create Hauptwerk icons on your desktop, and in the Dock, but if that fails for any reason then it doesn't really matter -- you can instead just launch the applications directly from the "/Applications/Hauptwerk Virtual Pipe Organ" folder (and optionally then tick the '"Keep in Dock" right-click option from the icon in the Dock once Hauptwerk has launched).
Best regards, Martin.

John_Abson

PostThu Nov 17, 2022 4:10 pm

Quick update to thank people for their inputs.

After some time out due to working on non-virtual (i.e. real :-) ) pipe organs, I've got v7 up and running.

In the end we rebuilt the entire machine (not an arduous task as it is HW-dedicated). I think the simultaneous combination of the jump from 4.2 to 7 and the OS update to Catalina and the introduction of the iLok manager app was all too much at the same time. The only real glitch which needed support was to run the HASP dongle environment in order that it could be recognised on the rebuilt machine during the license handover process (excuse my lack of proper terminology).

Nonetheless, once again, thanks all, including Phil Leader who held my hand during the process!

mdyde

PostFri Nov 18, 2022 3:26 am

Thanks very much, John. Excellent. Hope you enjoy the new version.
Best regards, Martin.

Return to Technical support