It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 4:26 am

HW4 backup to restore HW8 audio config?

Hauptwerk software technical support only. Please make sure you have read the manual, tutorials and FAQ pages before requesting support.
  • Author

magnaton

HW4 backup to restore HW8 audio config?

PostWed Dec 13, 2023 10:30 am

I have an acquaintance who purchased a HW8 upgrade from HW4 Advanced. He texted me and said that the upgrade was successful but it wiped out all his audio routing settings! He has a 12 channel configuration that I setup a couple years ago. I'm hoping he made a backup prior to the upgrade. If so, is it possible to run a HW Restore function using a previous version's backup file? In this case, he just wants the audio routing restored.

Thanks

Danny B.

mnailor

Re: HW4 backup to restore HW8 audio config?

PostWed Dec 13, 2023 10:41 am

I believe the installer showed options to keep or delete previous settings.

Restoring the HW4 backup file should work, but unless there are newer options -- I haven't tried it lately -- it will replace all user settings. So per organ voicing and MIDI assignments as well as audio configuration would be restored.

It did a good job of translating HW4 audio routing to HW5+ for me.

magnaton

PostWed Dec 13, 2023 11:06 am

Yes, it has worked for me as well to uncheck the boxes and everything is preserved. I have no clue what transpired here and indeed the audio config might still be intact but not recognized by the owner.

Thanks for your quick reply.

mdyde

PostWed Dec 13, 2023 11:47 am

Hello Danny,

Yes -- an upgrade from v4 to v8 will present the option to reset audio routing to defaults, but that option isn't ticked by default. Hence by default existing audio routing will be migrated and preserved.

Whenever a new version of Hauptwerk launches for the first time, and prior to any settings being migrated, it will first make an automatic backup, so that all settings from the old version can be restored if needed. Automatic backups can be found in "<OS-user-home-folder>/Hauptwerk/AutomaticBackups". If he were to use "File | Restore ..." within Hauptwerk v8 to restore the last v4 backup from there then he would get all of his v4 settings back, and v8 would migrate them again on launch (offering the not-ticked-by-default options to reset things again as before).
Best regards, Martin.
Hauptwerk software designer/developer, Milan Digital Audio.

Return to Technical support