It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 3:06 am

Copying data from one hard drive to another

Hauptwerk software technical support only. Please make sure you have read the manual, tutorials and FAQ pages before requesting support.
  • Author

Antoni Scott

Copying data from one hard drive to another

PostSun Dec 17, 2023 10:30 am

For my 2011 MacPro I would like to delete all of the organ data from one hard drive. It is filled with dozens of demo's, old free sample sets of low quality, etc and sample sets that go as far back as Krumhorn Labs. I have a second hard drive with all the sample sets that I use that I would like to copy and tranfer to this clean drive.

Is there a step by step instruction procedure available as to how to erase all the data on one drive ( A) and copy data from another hard (B) drive onto A?

Antoni

mdyde

Re: Copying data from one hard drive to another

PostSun Dec 17, 2023 12:09 pm

Hello Antoni,

Do you mean that the organs you'd like to delete are actually installed within Hauptwerk itself currently, and that you'd like to remove them all from Hauptwerk itself? Or that you simply have installers for those organs saved on a drive (that isn't used by Hauptwerk itself), and you'd like to wipe that drive?

(It's only possible to have Hauptwerk organs installed within Hauptwerk itself on one drive at a time.)
Best regards, Martin.
Hauptwerk software designer/developer, Milan Digital Audio.

Antoni Scott

PostTue Dec 19, 2023 11:37 am

Hello Martin:
I was referring to my old Back-up MacPro that that has four hard drives in it. I had Hauptwerk backed up in triplicate . Referring to Drive 1 as an exaample, I was attempting to un-install some really old, low quality sample sets to free up some hard drive space. When I rebooted that hard drive I got an error message that some other files that I needed were deleted. I decided to erase everything on that drive and start over.

The other hard drives (i.e. Drive 2) has all of the sample sets on it and I wanted to copy the entire hard drive onto Drive 1. I guess my question is how to copy one entire hard drive onto another inside the Mac. i.e. Copy Drive 2 onto Drive one.

I've copied many external hard drives before ( one to another) with a PC (very easy) but for me Apple always seems to make things more complicated.
Antoni

mdyde

PostTue Dec 19, 2023 11:47 am

Hello Antoni,

Here's an article that covers how to use macOS' built-in Disk Utility to clone hard-drives in their entirety:

https://www.lifewire.com/use-disk-utili ... ve-4042367
Best regards, Martin.
Hauptwerk software designer/developer, Milan Digital Audio.

Return to Technical support