It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 8:37 am

Midi output from console not always reaching Hauptwerk

Hauptwerk software technical support only. Please make sure you have read the manual, tutorials and FAQ pages before requesting support.
  • Author

andersonxt

Midi output from console not always reaching Hauptwerk

PostSun Feb 18, 2024 11:47 pm

After several years, my Hauptwerk setup (currently Hauptwerk VII on Windows 7, Focusrite 18i20), bought as a package from a dealer, began to malfunction this past week. Although on startup the usual notification appeared on my desktop that Focusrite was connected, when I launched Hauptwerk and loaded an organ, selected a registration and played a few notes, there was no sound. And my normal pistons had no effect.

I noted that the Console MIDI IN - Green LED was not blinking. Clicking on keys on the virtual console did, however, produce sound.

During the past week, the problem has gone away--sometimes after I just relaunch Hauptwerk and sometimes after I restart the computer. This appears to be random.

Today both of these solutions failed. Not having built the system myself, I don't really know how to troubleshoot. Any suggestions? Thanks.

organassist

Re: Midi output from console not always reaching Hauptwerk

PostMon Feb 19, 2024 3:14 am

In the past I have sometimes found that USB connections cause problems after several years due to a bad contact. It is worth, when the PC is off, just unplugging and reconnecting each USB lead in turn. I push them in and out a few times to ensure a clean contact. It is quick, easy and might help.

[Edit] However, if the problem is at the PC end you would likely have had an error on loading Hauptwerk…

mdyde

PostMon Feb 19, 2024 6:10 am

Hello andersonxt,

My suggestions would be:

- Use Windows Update to make sure that all available Windows 7 updates are applied.

- Disconnect the Focusrite from the PC and uninstall its drivers.

- Reboot.

- Download and re-install the latest version of the Focusrite's driver from its manufacturer.

- Update its firmware to the latest version, if applicable.

- Reboot again for good measure.

- Whenever launching Hauptwerk after booting the PC, make sure that at least a minute or so has elapsed since logging into Windows before launching Hauptwerk, to try to ensure that everything has had ample time to finish booting.

- If those things don't solve it, perhaps try changing the USB cable, and make sure it's connected to a USB port directly on the PC (not via a USB hub). Also try a different USB port (on the PC) if needed.

If none of that solves it, perhaps the Focusrite has developed an erratic fault.
Best regards, Martin.
Hauptwerk software designer/developer, Milan Digital Audio.

andersonxt

PostTue Feb 20, 2024 6:47 am

It looks like this was just a loose 5-pin connector. Too easy! Thanks to you both.

mdyde

PostTue Feb 20, 2024 6:53 am

Excellent. Thanks. You're very welcome.
Best regards, Martin.
Hauptwerk software designer/developer, Milan Digital Audio.

Return to Technical support