It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 10:44 pm

Software steps for migrating to new console

Hauptwerk software technical support only. Please make sure you have read the manual, tutorials and FAQ pages before requesting support.
  • Author

SKresge

Software steps for migrating to new console

PostSat Mar 02, 2024 8:52 am

I am getting ready to do a major upgrade to the HW Organ set up at church.

In 2018 I installed a makeshift HW set up with an older MIDI enabled Rodgers organ, which uses a refurbished 2013 Mac Pro w/ launchpads and a single touch screen off to the side. This was the first phase. We quickly got off the Rodgers speakers and installed 16 studio monitors and two sub woofers via a MOTU 16A. For the past 6 years this has been our set up with the only thing changing is the versions of HW and we are now on 7.

We are about to have a custom console delivered with all the bells and whistles (pistons, rocker tabs, toe studs, etc.) and I am wanting to move the existing software to a much newer intel-based Mac mini for this new console.

My plan is to transition the existing setup to the new computer, and upgrade to HW 8 and make sure everything works, including the sound prior to the delivery of the console. Technically then all I would have to do is move the computer to the console and program all the components of the console with the HW Software. Am I correct in doing it this way?

I have the Mac mini with all the software on it, HW, the organs to reinstall, the latest Ilok and MOTU drivers as well.

My question is to move from one computer to another, do I upgrade from 7 to 8 on the existing, then back it up and just install HW 8 on the new computer? I have the Ilok dongle, so I am assuming I just plug that into the new computer and once I load the ilok manager and sign in, my licenses should be there.

It has been 6 years since I configured the MOTU 16A, so nervous about that, but all research says it works with the latest Mac software so hopefully that will not be an issue, fingers crossed.

Any guidance would be appreciated.

Scott

mdyde

Re: Software steps for migrating to new console

PostSat Mar 02, 2024 10:57 am

Hello Scott,

My question is to move from one computer to another, do I upgrade from 7 to 8 on the existing, then back it up and just install HW 8 on the new computer?

I'd recommend:

On the existing computer:

- First upgrade to v8, making sure that all of your iLok licences are activated to the iLok dongle (not iLok Cloud).
- Verify briefly that things are still working in v8 (MIDI and audio, etc.).
- Use "File | Backup ...".
- Exit.

On the new computer:

- Make sure the latest OS updates, driver updates, and iLok License Manager are installed.
- Move the dongle to the new computer, as well as your audio/MIDI interface(s).
- Sign in to iLok License Manager and verify that it can see your licences on the dongle.
- Install v8.
- Launch it and cancel any wizards, then use "File | Restore ..." to restore the backup from your old computer.
- Once restored, Hauptwerk will exit. Relaunch it.
- Select your audio and MIDI devices if prompted.
- On the "General settings | MIDI ports" screen you may optionally wish to use the "Clear all MIDI settings for this port" buttons (right-hand column) in each of the rows that were being used on the previous computer, on both the MIDI IN Ports and MIDI OUT Ports screen tabs, then OK the screen to clear all of your existing MIDI settings. Since you would need different MIDI settings for your new console, clearing all existing MIDI settings would ensure that no previous settings remain to conflict or cause unexpected results.
- Reinstall all sample sets.
- Load St. Anne's, auto-detect MIDI settings, and verify that everything is working.
- Do likewise for your other sample sets.

[I'll move this topic to the "Technical support" section of the forum once you've had a chance to read it.]
Best regards, Martin.
Hauptwerk software designer/developer, Milan Digital Audio.

SKresge

PostSat Mar 02, 2024 11:19 am

Martin,

As always thanks for your quick and thorough response!

Will follow those steps.

Scott

mdyde

PostSat Mar 02, 2024 11:39 am

Thanks, Scott. You're very welcome. Hope it all goes smoothly.

[Topic moved here.]
Best regards, Martin.

SKresge

PostTue Mar 05, 2024 9:24 am

mdyde wrote:On the new computer:

- Make sure the latest OS updates, driver updates, and iLok License Manager are installed.
- Move the dongle to the new computer, as well as your audio/MIDI interface(s).
- Sign in to iLok License Manager and verify that it can see your licences on the dongle.
- Install v8.
- Launch it and cancel any wizards, then use "File | Restore ..." to restore the backup from your old computer.
- Once restored, Hauptwerk will exit. Relaunch it.
- Select your audio and MIDI devices if prompted.

Martin,

After reviewing your response several times, I started to think, would it be wise to do everything up to this point and have the new computer work with the old console and then when I transfer the computer to the new console when it arrives, start with the "Clear all Midi settings for this port" buttons like you mentioned and get the new MIDI to work with the new computer?

I am trying to think through making the day of the consoles new arrival as streamlined as possible, and if I do this I would know that new computer should be functioning with the MOTU 16A.

Thoughts?

Scott

mdyde

PostTue Mar 05, 2024 10:23 am

Hello Scott,

You could certainly do that if you prefer.

One thing to bear in mind is that sometimes MIDI interface drivers report different names for their MIDI ports on different computers/platforms, which would make them appear to be different MIDI ports to Hauptwerk. If, after restoring your backup and launching Hauptwerk, Hauptwerk prompts you that your previous MIDI ports/devices appear to be missing, then:

- Select the "Mark the missing device(s) as temporarily offline" option.
- Then on the MIDI Ports screen in Hauptwerk, within each of the rows that are ticked for the previous MIDI port names, move the tick from its previous ('offline') port name's column to the column with the new (non-'offline') name for that particular physical port. Do likewise for all such applicable ports (on the MIDI IN and MIDI OUT tabs).
- Once done, OK the screen, and you should find that all of your existing settings work again via the newly-renamed ports.
Best regards, Martin.

Return to Technical support