It is currently Sun May 12, 2024 2:41 pm

Sequencing or Stepper info

Hauptwerk software technical support only. Please make sure you have read the manual, tutorials and FAQ pages before requesting support.
  • Author

Antoni Scott

Sequencing or Stepper info

PostFri Apr 05, 2024 8:07 am

Hello Martin:
Recently I had the pleasure of having an internationally famous concert organist prepare for their recital on my Hauptwerk since adequate church practice was not available due to schedulings, organ problems and tunings, etc. The organist's comment was that they were very favorably impressed with the sound of my Hauptwerk, the feeling of reality and presence and the realism of sitting at a real pipe organ, rather than an electronic substitute, was extraordinary. That made me very happy since I have known that for well over a decade.
The question was setting up my console for a stepper, or sequencing arrangement, meaning that to change a stop registration, all the organist had to do was to touch the same preset over and over to get the next set of stops to play. I stated that although I thought that such a feature was available on Hauptwerk, I have never taken advantage of it. It seems that all the concert organsists prepare their instruments in this way. I guess I should do the same.
My question is to just direct me to the page in the Hauptwerk operating manual (both Verion IV and VII) where I can set up this system in this way.
Anyway I was tickled pink to think that a famous Europen organist viewed my Hauptwerk system in such a favorable light. Kudo's to Martin Dyde.
Antoni

mnailor

Re: Sequencing or Stepper info

PostFri Apr 05, 2024 8:23 am

See the table of contents for the chapter titled Registration menu: combination stepper (registration sequencer).

Can't give page numbers because I don't have user guides for HW4 and 7.

mdyde

PostFri Apr 05, 2024 8:30 am

Thanks, Antoni. Excellent.

Hauptwerk's stepper is covered in the "Registration menu: combination stepper" section of the user guide, which is on the following pages (depending on the Hauptwerk version):

- Hauptwerk version 8: pages 112-125.
- Hauptwerk version 7: pages 105-118.
- Hauptwerk version 4: pages 90-94 (the stepper in v6+ has significantly more functionality than it did in v4).

[I'll move this topic to the "Technical support" section of the forum once you've had a chance to read it.]

Edit: P.S. Mark and I replied at the same time.
Best regards, Martin.
Hauptwerk software designer/developer, Milan Digital Audio.

mdyde

PostTue Apr 16, 2024 4:18 am

[Topic moved here.]
Best regards, Martin.
Hauptwerk software designer/developer, Milan Digital Audio.

damuehlbauer

PostTue Apr 16, 2024 1:21 pm

I'd like to add just a little to the discussion of the 'Stepper'. This might be helpful for someone.

I'm a total amateur and my 'console' consists of three M-Audio keyboards, a touchscreen and two Launchpads. Making quick registration changes was nearly impossible with the touchscreen, and challenging with the Launchpads. Since there was no practical way to add combination pistons below my keyboards I built a Stepper rail and placed it on top of the keyboards, below the music rack. It has 13 buttons for the Stepper, plus three extra that I assigned to Couplers. The buttons are '000', then ten buttons for XX0, XX1, XX2, etc. And then a -1 and +1 button. I also assigned the +1 function to one toe stud. This works great to assign registrations for a specific piece of music, and then quickly change registrations. Thus far, I have been able to stay within 10 registrations for each piece of music, and I add the stepper numbers to the appropriate place in the score.

If anyone wants details on how I built the Stepper Rail, drop me a note.
David Muehlbauer
Mesa, Arizona USA

voet

PostTue Apr 16, 2024 2:51 pm

Once I got used to using steppers, I did not want to use anything else. I save my registrations by organ piece, for example, "Bach BWV 542," or "Franck Ch 3" Sometimes I can get two pieces on one set, "Gigout Tocatta Scherzo" Most of the time 10 pistons suffice, but if you need more, it is easy to add another set of 10. When playing a piece, I load the appropriate registration, select piston "0," and then use the steppers.

I could set pistons on my console for this function, but I prefer to use 30 notes of the pedal for all of my sample sets, and use the 31st note for the minus stepper function and the 32nd note for the plus function.

damuehlbauer

PostTue Apr 16, 2024 3:22 pm

voet wrote:I could set pistons on my console for this function, but I prefer to use 30 notes of the pedal for all of my sample sets, and use the 31st note for the minus stepper function and the 32nd note for the plus function.

Good point! You can use any midi-enabled key/button on your console for the up/down functions.
David Muehlbauer
Mesa, Arizona USA

Return to Technical support