It is currently Sat May 18, 2024 6:19 pm

Linearity of notes

Hauptwerk software technical support only. Please make sure you have read the manual, tutorials and FAQ pages before requesting support.
  • Author

Niceonetidy

Linearity of notes

PostTue Apr 16, 2024 2:57 pm

I’m looking for some help, my keyboards are good in the centre and top notes, but lower than mid c swamps everything, is there a balance setting for this.

I’m running Paramount 3/41,

Also the piano etc seems low volume,

Thank you

Colin

mnailor

Re: Linearity of notes

PostTue Apr 16, 2024 3:13 pm

If you have Hauptwerk Advanced edition, Rank Voicing is under the Organ Settings menu. You can use the sliders to change amplitudes in dB of (multiple) selected ranks on individual notes, octave ranges, and the whole range. For example, you can multi-select all the ranks, then reduce amplitude of the bottom two octaves using the octave sliders to gradually reduce from middle B down to low C.

mdyde

PostTue Apr 16, 2024 3:22 pm

Hello Colin,

Do you mean that you find the lower notes too loud? If so, you can adjust the levels of notes (and apply a basic EQ to them if desired) on the "Organ settings | Rank voicing ..." screen (Advanced Edition).

[I'll move this topic to the "Technical support" section of the forum once you've had a chance to read it.]

Edit: P.S. Mark and I replied at the same time.
Best regards, Martin.
Hauptwerk software designer/developer, Milan Digital Audio.

mnailor

PostTue Apr 16, 2024 3:46 pm

Also, if you have a subwoofer, you may need to reduce its volume and lower its low-pass filter in case the sub is reinforcing your 8' and 4' octaves too much.

Niceonetidy

PostTue Apr 16, 2024 4:00 pm

Thank you all, I must try adjusting tomorrow

mdyde

PostWed Apr 17, 2024 3:20 am

Thanks, Colin. [Topic moved here.]
Best regards, Martin.

josq

PostWed Apr 17, 2024 8:53 am

Could be a room mode: any listening room excites specific bass frequencies and that's different per room. Boomy bass can/should be EQ'd.

Niceonetidy

PostWed Apr 17, 2024 10:23 am

Having looked at the settings it looks very difficult to understand, has anyone got a video of adjusting this please?

Thank you

mnailor

PostWed Apr 17, 2024 11:34 am

Sorry, I can't do a video.

In the Rank voicing screen, learn by trying and then use the Reset button to undo your attempts.

Select one or more ranks.

Select the default parameter, which is the amplitude in decibels, expressed as an increase or decrease relative to the pipe's default amplitude.

Look at the row of boxed numbers along the bottom. They should all be 0.0 (dB) to start out. The notes are grouped in octaves from left (bass) to right (treble), laid out like a 61 note keyboard.

Try dragging a slider up or down and see the affect on those numbers:

The MSTR slider moves all of the notes' levels equally. This can change the level of one rank or a group of ranks.

The QUICK sliders are the easiest way to change your bass-treble balance. They only affect one octave at a time, applying a slope to the notes' values. You can see the resulting slope on the display.

The QUICK slider to the left of each octave changes the whole octave gradually, with more change on the lower notes of the octave, so the higher notes of the octave change the least.

The QUICK slider to the right of each octave changes the higher notes of the octave the most and the lower notes the least.

Use the QUICK sliders to shape each octave the way you want, for example, reduce the bottom octave by -6 dB at left to -3dB at right, then the tenor octave by -3 dB at left to 0 dB at right. This leaves adjacent notes close in levels.

The per-note sliders affect just one note.

mdyde

PostWed Apr 17, 2024 12:15 pm

Hello Colin,

To add to Mark's reply, the "Voicing facilities ..." chapter in the main Hauptwerk user guide (on the Help menu in Hauptwerk) also covers voicing:

- Pages 267-271 in the current Hauptwerk v8.0 version.
- Pages 256-260 in the Hauptwerk v7 version.
Best regards, Martin.

Return to Technical support