It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 12:57 am

Short time Dell 2.8G computer deal

Hauptwerk software technical support only. Please make sure you have read the manual, tutorials and FAQ pages before requesting support.
  • Author

positive

Short time Dell 2.8G computer deal

PostFri Sep 10, 2004 3:26 am

This would be a good system for Hauptwerk.:
Dell
You can save couple hundreds $ if you order now and put the money better in 2GB memory sticks.
Server comes w/o operational system. It is very easy to upgrade.
You can register under your name in Dell Small Business. Just be sure that the $100rebate is listed down in the "Detailed view" of your cart before ordering.

If interested, you will find many answers on the aaltonen FAQ site and here:
Fatwallet

NeilCraig

Re: Short time Dell 2.8G computer deal

PostFri Sep 10, 2004 7:21 am

positive wrote:This would be a good system for Hauptwerk.:
Dell

Dell reliability is awful. I've had 25% of my stock fail within a year - usually mobo related e.g. memory faults, USB failures, IRQ problems coming from nowhere.

Using green plastic clip-hinges to "secure" PCI cards so that they can be assembled 10-per minute in China is not acceptable.

Either self-build (or get a competent person to do it) or use a supplier who uses standard Intel parts not cut-down crap motherboards and inadequate cooling.[/b]

positive

Re: Short time Dell 2.8G computer deal

PostFri Sep 10, 2004 8:24 pm

>>Dell reliability is awful.

Neil,

I am sorry to hear about your experience with Dell. I admit I have been swayed to dip in PC waters from "My other Apple machine" only once due to a similar offer from Dell last time (effective price was ca $150) and that Celeron 2.0G server has "served" me well for last 6 months w/o a hiccup and is extremely quiet.
Consideration of the more powerful P2.8G machine for Hauptwerk use prompted me to buy into this $300 offer which I just wanted to share here.

Dave

NeilCraig

No offence meant...

PostSat Sep 11, 2004 1:29 pm

...and had I only others' word to go on regarding their reliability, I myself would likely bite their hand off with such a deal.

For what they are, they're overpriced at stock prices though.

Best wishes//Neil

Marco

PostSat Sep 11, 2004 3:25 pm

it really depends, 'consumer' Dell computers are not that great, but if you can get ahold of their 'server' machines they're very, very, very top notch (had a few rackmounted ones in a data center I worked at a few years ago and it was amazing just how well they were engineered and built)

NeilCraig

PostSat Sep 11, 2004 5:04 pm

Marco wrote:it really depends, 'consumer' Dell computers are not that great, but if you can get ahold of their 'server' machines they're very, very, very top notch (had a few rackmounted ones in a data center I worked at a few years ago and it was amazing just how well they were engineered and built)

I agree: I have 2 dual 2.4GHz Xeon PE4600's at work and the only problem I've had with them was one drive had a warning condition for no apparent reason - the container checked out okay so I think it was simply a bad connection. Never liked hot-swappables.

IMHO though, tip-top servers don't make up for lousy desktops; it's almost like they're two totally separate companies at times. Also, there's no way one could use a PE4600 for HW unless it wasn't in the same room!

(That does not mean that at some point in the near future I'm not going to try.Grin)

Best wishes//Neil

Return to Technical support