It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 2:45 am

What kind of switches are best for MIDI pedal project?

Hauptwerk software technical support only. Please make sure you have read the manual, tutorials and FAQ pages before requesting support.
  • Author

adri

What kind of switches are best for MIDI pedal project?

PostSun Sep 12, 2004 6:57 am

I bought a pedal keybaord for just $20 (lucky me!) and have a MIDI module shipped to me, but now I need to wire the whole thing and install switches.

What you do personally recommend I should use?

-Momentary push button switches?
-Photoelectric sensor switches?
-Other?

What works best?

BrentonB

Pedal Switches

PostSun Sep 12, 2004 7:54 am

Hi
I would recommend using reed switches. The small magnets can then be adjusted to allow for precise operation at a determined pedal depth. Also the sealed switches hardly ever fail compared with the older phosphor bronze wire switches such as Kimber Allen.
Cheers
Brenton

philro

PostSun Sep 12, 2004 8:28 am

hi
i think too reed switch are the best, the cheapest. and the easyest to install. then for wiring, it depend on the input of the midi module.
if needed you can have a look at
http://geocities.com/midiboutique/whatis/whatis.html#sm
hope its help and good luck
musicalement
phil

Ken

Source for Reed Switches

PostSun Sep 12, 2004 10:20 am

Can anyone recommend the make and model and supplier of a proven reed switch for pedalboard contacts?

Ken

gblatt

Reed contacts

PostSun Sep 12, 2004 11:41 am

Hi,
I made my pedal board contacts with magnets and reed switches by www.respotec.de/shop/index.html (see 'Reedkontakt' and 'Magnet') and the midi interface www.doepfer.de/ctm.htm.

As switches I took the type MK4-1A71-B after having broken many of the tiny glass tube types.

I recommend not to choose strong magnets (like I did), because they often keep also the neighbour switch on when sliding from one tone to the next. So I had to cut some of them.

The MK4-1A71-B reed contacts have two holes for M3 screws. They are easy to fix near the pedal key end when pressed down. I fixed the magnets at the end of each pedal key by sawing a small slot into it and mounting the magnet with hot glue. A better solution is to choose a round magnet type so it fits into the according hole.

Try out the best switching position(s) and magnet distance with an indicating instrument before mounting both.

If you like I can take some pictures.

My pedal board was from an old Dr.Boehm organ, i.e. it had those old very thin steel contacts. After connecting them to the midi interface and testing it I decided to replace the old contacts by the magnets and reeds because they work truely safe.

Happy midifying.
Günter

BachsFugue

PostSun Sep 12, 2004 4:41 pm

In the US I can recommend Peterson Electro-Musical Products, Inc. http://www.petersonemp.com/ Their Pedal Key Contact System is excellent. I have an older model of this system, and I look for it to last for many, many years. I inherited the system with my console. In transporting it, I broke three of the glass-sealed reed switches. Peterson was most gracious in sending replacement switches gratis. There was also no charge for some of the connectors that connect to the wiring harness for their Power Tab stop keys. They use the same reed switch in their Power Tabs also.
Cole Votaw -- Springfield, Ohio, USA

adri

THANKS

PostSun Sep 12, 2004 5:26 pm

Very helpful info. WIll report later how it went. Can't wait to play the pedal stops!

Return to Technical support