It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 7:55 am

Latency of SBLive and derivatives

Hauptwerk software technical support only. Please make sure you have read the manual, tutorials and FAQ pages before requesting support.
  • Author

Calcant

Latency of SBLive and derivatives

PostFri May 16, 2003 3:57 am

I received an inquiry from a user who had too much latency (37ms) with his SBLive card.
There is an independent group (www.kxproject.com) offering improved drivers for this card and the Audigy versions. Has anybody tried this out?
It´s a virtue to be well-tempered.
German speaking readers are invited to visit http://www.orgelbits.de for info about HW subjects.

BrentonB

PostSun May 18, 2003 5:53 am

Hi. Yes I did try out the KX drivers with the Sound Blaster Live card but was disapointed with the results for Hauptwerk. I then had rather a difficult time uninstalling them and reverting to the original. I got the lowest latency (15 buffer blocks) with SBLive and the "Basic" driver set 5.0.2184.1 However this did not allow support for all the SBLive functionality like HQ etc.
I eventually reverted to the VIA on board chipset and updated drivers and found for Hauptwerk the latency was much lower than using the SB card. I am easily able to use a buffer of 6 blocks with the St Anne's organ.
I also had another problem with the SBLive card in that it produced serious audio overload distortion. Hope this helps. Cheers.

Morse

KX drivers and soundblaster Live! card

PostSat Feb 28, 2004 11:45 am

I have just spent quite a bit of effort trying the KX drivers, and am mostly disapointed. I installed them on a fresh partition on my hard drive. The partition uses XP with minimum background programs, and no anti-virus or firewall since it is not connected to the internet. I was able to get my cut-down version of St Anne's (18 ranks, 20 stops on 512K) to play well at 8 buffers, 23 ms. I was delighted, since on my main partition of XP it takes 12 buffers, 34ms.
I then un-installed KX and re-installed the SoundBlaster drivers. It still worked at 8 buffers. So I re-installed KX and spent a couple of hours tweaking it. I was not able to improve things, and conclude that the ASIO drivers apply only to record inputs on the soundcard. So I un-installed KX a second time (not easy) and re-installed the standard SoundBlaster drivers.
After playing the organ a while, I noticed an occasional crackle or snap, about 2 or 3 a minute. So I re-installed the KX drivers a third time. The sound is completely clean with KX at 8 buffers. So I am going to leave KX on for a while.
Bottom line: The KX drivers give a slightly cleaner sound but do not appreciably improve latency on the SoundBlaster Live! card.
Al Morse

Return to Technical support