It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:28 am

Steps for optimizing audio for Windows

Hauptwerk software technical support only. Please make sure you have read the manual, tutorials and FAQ pages before requesting support.
  • Author

B. Milan

Site Admin

Steps for optimizing audio for Windows

PostSun Nov 16, 2008 4:55 am

We've assembled some of the most common things to check for those using Windows and who may be experiencing audio glitches. We've put all of the main points to go over in a single .pdf file for easy reference. You may download it here:

Other-operating-system-and-PC-optimizations-and-diagnostics.pdf
Brett Milan
Owner
MILAN DIGITAL AUDIO

Owen Jones

PostWed Nov 19, 2008 11:06 am

Thanks for the file Brett, good tips.

cheers

Owen

barrylumpkin

Re: Steps for optimizing audio for Windows

PostMon Jul 27, 2009 10:03 am

I've disabled Superfetch. After a few weeks of playing... not a single pop. That seems to have been the culprit.

Thanks everyone for your help!
Barry

Rauschpfeife

PostWed Aug 04, 2010 9:57 am

If you had previously disabled the Windows page file (which was recommended for Hauptwerk 2 and earlier versions) or had adjusted Windows virtual memory settings in any other way, please make sure the page file is re-enabled and set specifically back to its default of 'system managed size'. Having it disabled or set to an inappropriate size can cause stability problems, performance problems, or other severe problems with Hauptwerk, other applications, or Windows itself, especially if 4 GB or more of memory is installed. On Windows XP use Start | Settings | Control Panel | System, then click on the Performance | Settings button on the Advanced tab. Select Adjust for best performance, then click the Advanced tab. Leave Processor scheduling and Memory usage both set to favor Programs. Click Virtual memory: Change and select System managed size for the hard-disk you want Windows to use for its virtual memory, then click Set. Finally click OK on all of the windows and re-boot the computer if you changed any settings.

Does this apply as a general rule for V3+, or is it only worth considering re-enabling the page file if we experience audio glitches? I have my page file disabled, but don't experience any problems.

Thanks,

Adam.

mdyde

PostWed Aug 04, 2010 10:17 am

Hello Adam,

It's up to you, but my recommendation would be to re-enable the page file, and to keep it enabled unless you specifically find any performance issues as a result.

Apart from unpredictable driver-specific 64-bit performance or stability issues (especially with more than 4 GB of physical memory), having the page file disabled might prevent applications that might need to use more memory than your computer has from working properly, for example the RAR extractor that Hauptwerk uses during sample set installation.
Best regards, Martin.
Hauptwerk software designer/developer, Milan Digital Audio.

Owen Jones

PostWed Aug 04, 2010 10:56 am

I am running WIN7/64 on a four core PC; dual core just didn't cut the mustard.
8 gigs of RAM and I have not pruned anything and the organ is playable without any glitches. I normally run Neil Jensen's 3/35 and that takes up a lot of resources.
The system will need a pagefile to operate properly; trying to run HW3 on anything with less power than a 4 core CPU will just cause trouble; that has been my experience since purchasing HW1 some years ago.
ASUS boards are somewhat troublesome , the organ PC has a P5KC MOBO, which will be changed to a gigabyte MOBO; maybe a H55-USB3 unit.
I have just installed one of these in my internet PC, goes like gang-busters; it replaced a ConroeXfire-SATAII, which eventually became a pain in the neck.
The Audio consists of 4 Echo AudioFire 12s; they have proved to be the best so far in the past 10 years.

mdyde

PostWed Aug 04, 2010 11:06 am

Hello Owen,

trying to run HW3 on anything with less power than a 4 core CPU will just cause trouble; that has been my experience since purchasing HW1 some years ago.

Just a quick note: we'd certainly recommend 4 or more CPU cores for people wanting to use large organs, such as the large theatre organs you use, but Hauptwerk is designed very carefully to be able to perform very well on even single-core systems with smaller sample sets, e.g. with the St. Anne's sample set that's included with it. All Hauptwerk releases get tested thoroughly for performance on my old 2.8 GHz Pentium 4 PC to make sure that remains the case (and on other older single-core PCs by other testers).

(Hauptwerk v1 was never actually optimised for multiple CPU cores, so having more than one CPU core wouldn't have made a significant difference to v1's performance.)
Best regards, Martin.

Owen Jones

PostWed Mar 09, 2011 9:27 am

I have just installed a new Motherboard Gigabyte 4 core 8 thread CPU with 16 Gigs of RAM.
No more shut down problems as with the previous system. Loading is a lot quicker.
Details:
MOBO: Gigabyte GA-P67A-UD4B3 P67 LGA1155 MATX M/B
CPU: Intel Core i7 2600 3.40Ghz Quad-Core CPU; 4 cores, 8 threads, 8mb, Socket LGA1155-land Flip-Chip Land Grid Array
RAM: Corsair Twin3X 8GB 240-pin DDR3 1600Mhz PC-12800 Kit
Aten 6 Port Firewire Hub with Power Adapter.
550W Antec TruePower ATX Power Supply.
O/S: WIN 7 64 BIT HOME PREMIUM.

More info on my website.

Doug S.

PostFri Dec 15, 2017 7:59 pm

I'm posting this here because of the recent difficulties posted by members in getting Windows to play nice with some pro audio hardware.
I've noticed a couple of recommendations that contradict some optimization steps on the HW support page. Most notably the optimize for programs or background ops checkbox.

https://www.sweetwater.com/sweetcare/ar ... windows-7/

Thanks,
Doug
Doug

mdyde

PostSat Dec 16, 2017 5:44 am

Hello Doug,

The suggestions for Windows tweaks in our own document ( http://www.hauptwerk.com/clientuploads/documentation/Tutorials/WindowsOptimizationsAndDiagnostics.pdf ) reflect what I've found to work best specifically for Hauptwerk on my own computers, and based on feedback from Hauptwerk users. They aren't necessarily definitive, and you'll inevitably find different, and probably occasionally contradicting, recommendations elsewhere around the Internet. Each PC is potentially different (often a unique combination of many hardware and software components, all made by different companies), and people use PCs for different things, and in different ways. Also bear in mind that there might sometimes be differences between what could benefit Hauptwerk use most, and what could benefit general 'pro audio' recording studio use (D.A.W.s -- Cubase/Logic/Pro Tools/Sonar/Reaper/etc.) most.

For example, being able to stream large amounts of audio data to/from disks/SSDs reliably in real-time at low latencies would normally be important for very D.A.W. use, but it doesn't matter at all for Hauptwerk use. Likewise D.A.W.s usually need to run lots of small separate plug-ins simultaneously, rather than devoting as much of the available computing resources as possible to a single intensive task (Hauptwerk).

By all means feel free to experiment with different Windows tweaks, but do bear in mind that whilst some might improve performances in some cases for some uses, they might have the opposite effect in other cases and for other uses, so my advice would be to try each one, carefully testing relevant aspects of performance before and after making the change, and keep notes on what you've changed (in case you need to undo changes later).

With regard specifically to whether to set Windows' processor scheduling to favour 'Programs' or 'Background tasks', my understanding is that the former makes Windows give more priority (effectively more CPU time, but in smaller slices) to the foreground application (which would usually be Hauptwerk), whereas the latter makes it give more priority to background Windows tasks/services ( http://www.thewindowsclub.com/processor-scheduling-in-windows-7-8, https://stackoverflow.com/questions/17944180/windows-service-performance-vs-windows-application-performance ). No parts of Hauptwerk run as a background service, so you'd probably effectively be taking some CPU time away from Hauptwerk with the latter setting, although longer time-slices might benefit benefit Hauptwerk's audio engine in other respects. By all means feel free to try each option, but do test and compare the results carefully (polyphony, resilience to audio glitches, MIDI latency, etc.).

Cantabile have an excellent (and very comprehensive) document on Windows audio performance tweaks too:

https://www.cantabilesoftware.com/glitchfree/?utm_source=mailinglist&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=glitchfree1

Hope that helps.
Best regards, Martin.

Doug S.

PostSat Dec 16, 2017 11:32 am

Thanks Martin,
I have the Cantible guide. After trying the Sweetwater guide settings, I reverted to the Hauptwerk recommendations. Thanks for the additional information.
Doug
Doug

mdyde

PostSat Dec 16, 2017 11:35 am

Thanks, Doug.

You're very welcome.
Best regards, Martin.

sutherland

PostFri Jun 22, 2018 6:45 am

I had been suffering from Audio glitches for a year or two despite doing everything recommended for audio optimization.

Finally, a couple of weeks ago I changed 1HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\TimeBrokersvc Start to 4

Since then I've had no problems.

OrganoPleno

PostFri Jun 22, 2018 12:56 pm

sutherland wrote:Finally, a couple of weeks ago I changed 1HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\TimeBrokersvc Start to 4.

Found On-Line (re: Windows 10)...
> 4 is Disabled, 3 is Manual and 2 is Automatic startup.
> Before editing, the original value was 3. Set to 4 to disable. Just change the 3 to a 4 through the MODIFY menu selection, exit regedit and reboot your system.
> After this edit, Runtime Broker no longer runs and the CPU at idle is now only 0 to 1 or 2 percent.
> No adverse affects after disabling Runtime Broker on my system.
> (ADDITIONAL NOTE: Disabling Runtime Broker will prevent apps from the Microsoft Store from running.)

mmayse

PostSun Dec 15, 2019 6:11 pm

Brett --- the link to the document is dead. Could you please repair when you get a chance? Thanks!
Next

Return to Technical support