Search:
Submit Search

Steps for optimizing audio for Windows

Hauptwerk software technical support only. Please make sure you have read the manual, tutorials and FAQ pages before requesting support.

Steps for optimizing audio for Windows

Postby B. Milan » Sun Nov 16, 2008 5:55 am

We've assembled some of the most common things to check for those using Windows and who may be experiencing audio glitches. We've put all of the main points to go over in a single .pdf file for easy reference. You may download it here:

Other-operating-system-and-PC-optimizations-and-diagnostics.pdf
Regards,
Brett Milan
http://www.hauptwerk.com
http://www.milandigitalaudio.com
Send Email

Site Admin

Postby Owen Jones » Wed Nov 19, 2008 12:06 pm

Thanks for the file Brett, good tips.

cheers

Owen
Owen Jones

Re: Steps for optimizing audio for Windows

Postby barrylumpkin » Mon Jul 27, 2009 11:03 am

I've disabled Superfetch. After a few weeks of playing... not a single pop. That seems to have been the culprit.

Thanks everyone for your help!
Barry
barrylumpkin

Postby Rauschpfeife » Wed Aug 04, 2010 10:57 am

If you had previously disabled the Windows page file (which was recommended for Hauptwerk 2 and earlier versions) or had adjusted Windows virtual memory settings in any other way, please make sure the page file is re-enabled and set specifically back to its default of 'system managed size'. Having it disabled or set to an inappropriate size can cause stability problems, performance problems, or other severe problems with Hauptwerk, other applications, or Windows itself, especially if 4 GB or more of memory is installed. On Windows XP use Start | Settings | Control Panel | System, then click on the Performance | Settings button on the Advanced tab. Select Adjust for best performance, then click the Advanced tab. Leave Processor scheduling and Memory usage both set to favor Programs. Click Virtual memory: Change and select System managed size for the hard-disk you want Windows to use for its virtual memory, then click Set. Finally click OK on all of the windows and re-boot the computer if you changed any settings.

Does this apply as a general rule for V3+, or is it only worth considering re-enabling the page file if we experience audio glitches? I have my page file disabled, but don't experience any problems.

Thanks,

Adam.
Rauschpfeife

Postby mdyde » Wed Aug 04, 2010 11:17 am

Hello Adam,

It's up to you, but my recommendation would be to re-enable the page file, and to keep it enabled unless you specifically find any performance issues as a result.

Apart from unpredictable driver-specific 64-bit performance or stability issues (especially with more than 4 GB of physical memory), having the page file disabled might prevent applications that might need to use more memory than your computer has from working properly, for example the RAR extractor that Hauptwerk uses during sample set installation.
Best regards,
Martin.

[Please use email or the Contact page if you need to contact us privately, rather than private forum messages.]

mdyde

Postby Owen Jones » Wed Aug 04, 2010 11:56 am

I am running WIN7/64 on a four core PC; dual core just didn't cut the mustard.
8 gigs of RAM and I have not pruned anything and the organ is playable without any glitches. I normally run Neil Jensen's 3/35 and that takes up a lot of resources.
The system will need a pagefile to operate properly; trying to run HW3 on anything with less power than a 4 core CPU will just cause trouble; that has been my experience since purchasing HW1 some years ago.
ASUS boards are somewhat troublesome , the organ PC has a P5KC MOBO, which will be changed to a gigabyte MOBO; maybe a H55-USB3 unit.
I have just installed one of these in my internet PC, goes like gang-busters; it replaced a ConroeXfire-SATAII, which eventually became a pain in the neck.
The Audio consists of 4 Echo AudioFire 12s; they have proved to be the best so far in the past 10 years.
Owen Jones

Postby mdyde » Wed Aug 04, 2010 12:06 pm

Hello Owen,

trying to run HW3 on anything with less power than a 4 core CPU will just cause trouble; that has been my experience since purchasing HW1 some years ago.

Just a quick note: we'd certainly recommend 4 or more CPU cores for people wanting to use large organs, such as the large theatre organs you use, but Hauptwerk is designed very carefully to be able to perform very well on even single-core systems with smaller sample sets, e.g. with the St. Anne's sample set that's included with it. All Hauptwerk releases get tested thoroughly for performance on my old 2.8 GHz Pentium 4 PC to make sure that remains the case (and on other older single-core PCs by other testers).

(Hauptwerk v1 was never actually optimised for multiple CPU cores, so having more than one CPU core wouldn't have made a significant difference to v1's performance.)
Best regards,
Martin.

[Please use email or the Contact page if you need to contact us privately, rather than private forum messages.]

mdyde

Postby Owen Jones » Wed Mar 09, 2011 10:27 am

I have just installed a new Motherboard Gigabyte 4 core 8 thread CPU with 16 Gigs of RAM.
No more shut down problems as with the previous system. Loading is a lot quicker.
Details:
MOBO: Gigabyte GA-P67A-UD4B3 P67 LGA1155 MATX M/B
CPU: Intel Core i7 2600 3.40Ghz Quad-Core CPU; 4 cores, 8 threads, 8mb, Socket LGA1155-land Flip-Chip Land Grid Array
RAM: Corsair Twin3X 8GB 240-pin DDR3 1600Mhz PC-12800 Kit
Aten 6 Port Firewire Hub with Power Adapter.
550W Antec TruePower ATX Power Supply.
O/S: WIN 7 64 BIT HOME PREMIUM.

More info on my website.
Owen Jones

Return to Technical support